Big issue street/sellers and such folk

nwtv2003

Brad wrote:In town yesterday there was a woman, I'd say in her early 60's, with a tea towel on her head, trying to get people to take leaflets about whatever is going on in the middle east. All it seemed to be doing was creating a litter problem.
You should go round Manchester City Centre on a busy day, thats full of loads of crap, with stuff like signing petions to be against Ariel Sharon (sp) to Lucozade tests on Monkeys (Or something as dodgy as that), there's anti-Labour, anti-Euro, anti-BNP, The Big Issue (They're not annoying, they're on every corner) and some idiots trying to sound like Ali G trying to sell you some magazine that will help Disabled kids. The best we had was a couple of people were giving away a load of free Hula Hoops, though it was a flavour I'd never even heard of but they were nice.

We fared worse in Liverpool as people just ask you for crap on every corner, I mean the good thing about Manchester was that you could ignore it, this was hard to get out of.

I also had a classic the other week, I was sitting with my friend in Stockton Heath (By Somerfield) and some homeless idiot starting going on about homeless people's rights or that he thought his mate selling the Big Issue should be treated fairer or that Warrington Borough Council should give him sore more money, that really annoyed us.
cat

nwtv2003 wrote:You should go round Manchester City Centre on a busy day, thats full of loads of crap, with stuff like signing petions to be against Ariel Sharon (sp) to Lucozade tests on Monkeys (Or something as dodgy as that), there's anti-Labour, anti-Euro, anti-BNP, The Big Issue (They're not annoying, they're on every corner)
I think that's what they call ''free speech''.

Cherish it. You'll want it back when it's gone.
Brad

I remember quite distinctively, a brief argument between a Big Issue seller and a member of the public in The Lanes in Brighton a couple of years ago. it went something like this:

Big Issue Seller: "Big Issue, mate?"
Man: "How dare you! Half an hour ago I was standing on the street selling it myself!"
"That one!"
nwtv2003

c@t wrote:
nwtv2003 wrote:You should go round Manchester City Centre on a busy day, thats full of loads of crap, with stuff like signing petions to be against Ariel Sharon (sp) to Lucozade tests on Monkeys (Or something as dodgy as that), there's anti-Labour, anti-Euro, anti-BNP, The Big Issue (They're not annoying, they're on every corner)

I know that, but it can be very annoying when they're there with their megaphones blabbing.
dvboy

People distributing flyers for clubs and bars piss me off the most. I guess that's the same in any university city, though.

They create a silly amount of litter, by the university in the day and down the High Street in the late evening.

I only hope the places responsible pay something towards the cleaning up every morning.
nwtv2003

dvboy wrote:People distributing flyers for clubs and bars piss me off the most. I guess that's the same in any university city, though.

They create a silly amount of litter, by the university in the day and down the High Street in the late evening.

I only hope the places responsible pay something towards the cleaning up every morning.
They annoy me very much, there are usually loads of them in Manchester, the worst places being Market Street outside the huge HMV and the bottom of Market Street under the Foodcourt, they just give them out to anyone, (as I started going on a regular basis when I was 14 and I was given loads of them!) thus they end up all over the place, mainly the ground.
cat

nwtv2003 wrote:
c@t wrote:

I know that, but it can be very annoying when they're there with their megaphones blabbing.
But you'd be more annoyed if someone came up and put them in prison because of their political beliefs, no?
nwtv2003

I mean I agree with what you are saying and that they shouldn't be locked up because of their political opinions, everyone has the right to express their opinions, I am only saying I find it annoying when I am trying to have a more peaceful time whenever this happens, I only want to walk down the street and not to be hastled or anything like that.
Cheese Head
Banned

Some guy outside Notts Train Station (Terrible place for these people) some guy was like

"Big Issue Sir?"
"No" I said in a rather down disgruntled voice.
"Well fuck off den"

Its like service with a smile.
» James »
I don't know my future after this weekend, and I don't want to
Si-Co

Maurice Myner wrote:I get pissed off by charity collectors with tins, who stand in supermarket entrances and refuse to believe that I only carry a credit card when I go supermarket shopping.
On the subject of this, have you ever considered how much of your 'pound coin' or whatever you put in actually goes to the charity?

Of course, there has to be some administration costs, but a lot of the people who are apparently 'volunteers' are actually getting paid. I know people who have collected in this way in the past and the norm was that you got 20 per cent of whatever was in your tin, with 'special incentives' such as if someone gave you a note, you got to keep it!

And they got round the 'volunteer' bit by classing the money as 'expenses'.
That way it's legal, and they get a registered charity number.

I'm not suggesting that well-respected charities such as the Salvation Army, Barnardos etc do this - I know they do not. But if you see people with badges showing a charity name you've never heard of, and telling you their aim is to 'help the homeless' or 'send terminally ill children on a holiday', then it's quite possible they've answered an ad in the paper along the lines of 'Earn 3-5 pounds an hour, flexible hours, etc'.
Everyone hears what you say,
Friends listen to what you say,
Best friends listen to what you don't say.
DJF

I was actually quite proud of myself in Nottingham yesterday, I have managed to perfect the art of walking down clipboard alley (aka Listergate) without catching the attention of the old dears with the clipboards!

What most annoys me in town are beggars who are blatant liars! There's one in particular I saw a couple of weeks ago in Broadmarsh Bus Station who was asking for £4 so he could get into a hostel as he had only been on the streets for a week.

This is the same man who approached me over a year ago and asked for the some change for the same reason - I only had a £10 note on me so I said sorry I can't help. Then he has the cheek to ask me to walk over to the other side of the bus station and get some change from the shop (which won't do that anyway), I said no so he called me a fat prick. :roll:
Dan