Where are they now... companies that bit the bullet

tillyoshea

Last time I checked, Martins the Newsagent was still going. Though I could be wrong on this, it may have been bought by anoher chain.
Cheese Head
Banned

I'm reading this just after reading 3DO went bankrupt. Of course, that happend ages ago, but I never cared that much to notice.
» James »
I don't know my future after this weekend, and I don't want to
Chris

tillyoshea wrote:Last time I checked, Martins the Newsagent was still going. Though I could be wrong on this, it may have been bought by anoher chain.
I went past one about a few weeks ago. They're still there but I think they also are called Forboys as well.
dvboy

Mich wrote:The whole Our Price rebranding was a bit of a mess up. AFAIK, from a thread I started in the Lounge, many of the Our Price shops were sold off to Sanity in 2001.

The remaining shops were mostly rebranded to V Shop, and became more open and had more free space. These on the whole became Virgin Megastore Expresses arond Christmas 2002, however some simply became Virgin.

There are still some Our Prices about, who are still owned by Virgin (same branding and offers as a Virgin near by). I also heard that Virgin Megastore Express, weren't accepting V Shop vouchers, but being owned by the same company they really should have honoured them.

So to conclude brands used where previously it was Our Price, and Virgin Megastores. There is now Our Price, Virgin, Virgin Megastores Express, and Virgin Megastore; there may even be a V Shop still about, but I haven't seen one.
There's still an Our Price store in Wolverhampton. No-where near a Virgin Megastore either because there isn't one in the city.
Anonymous

Chris wrote:
Rumbelows (Rental Shops)
IIRC they went bankrupt/into liqudation some time ago, around 93/94 ish as I remember their shop closing down where I live.
Ferguson Television Sets
They still exist don't they? I swear I saw some in a branch of Curry's a few weeks back.
Our Price (Music Shop)
They rebranded to Sanity (why??) and the last time I walked past a Sanity shop it has closed down for good. This one was in Staines.
Granada Rental Shops
There used to be one where I live but it has long since disappeared and been replaced by a local clothes shop. Didn't they rebrand to Box Clever or something like that?

Whatever happened to Amstrad hi-fi's?

Whatever happened to Radio Rentals Express?

Whatever happened to Fads, the shop selling decorating stuff?
I think 'BOX CLEVER' (Granada) has gone bankrupt because I dont see them in my High Street any more.
Whataday

tillyoshea wrote:
Johnny83 wrote:Cash Converters (these now come up as various names now)
There's still an orignal Cash Converters in Stockton.

There was an advert for Cash Converters on UK Gold the other day, so they're still going.

Rumbelows became Escom (i think?) which also bought Amiga. They went bust.
dvboy

Whataday wrote:
tillyoshea wrote:
Johnny83 wrote:Cash Converters (these now come up as various names now)
There's still an orignal Cash Converters in Stockton.

There was an advert for Cash Converters on UK Gold the other day, so they're still going.
And I walk past a thriving Cash Converters nearly every day on Lincoln High Street.
nwtv2003

dvboy wrote:
Whataday wrote:
tillyoshea wrote: There's still an orignal Cash Converters in Stockton.

And I walk past a thriving Cash Converters nearly every day on Lincoln High Street.
There's still one in Warrington at The Cockhedge Shopping Park, so I take it that Cash Converters are still going strong.
Anonymous

nwtv2003 wrote:
dvboy wrote:
Whataday wrote:
There's still one in Warrington at The Cockhedge Shopping Park, so I take it that Cash Converters are still going strong.
Cash converters in london still strong down here in London
chinajan

Why is the title of this thread '....companies that bit the bullet'?
MarkN

Whataday wrote:Rumbelows became Escom (i think?) which also bought Amiga. They went bust.
1. Rumbelows closed down.
2. Escom bought all the old Rumbelows shops.
3. Escom went bankrupt (probably because they had spent so much money buying the old Rumbelows shops).