Opera
17%
Mozilla
75%
Netscape
8%

Total votes: 24
DJGM

An updated version of Mozilla 1.4, aimed at the casual users that Netscape browser releases were
aimed at is on it's way. Mozilla 1.4.1 will also be the first maintenance release from the 1.4 stable
branch that replaced the older 1.0 stable branch, providing some fixes for stability and security.

A new, (non techy) default start page has been created, made primarily for the less tech-savvy
casual users of Mozilla, and can be viewed here. It's very similar to the default start page that
was first seen last year by users of Mozilla 1.0, the first fully stable, non-beta Mozilla release.
Pete

oh that's good. I'm waiting for the big website revamp that is aparently comiing with 1.5

I think Mozilla won't be really ready for end users until Firebird and Thunderbird replace it and the GRE is seperated which may be a while.

Mind you Firebird Help is very user friendly - they could take some hints from there.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
DJGM

While I believe the Mozilla App-Siute has been good and ready for end users for quite a while now, Mozilla Firebird is
still beta and Thunderbird is still alpha. They're not yet ready for prime time. Mozilla Thunderbird is far from ready.

I hope the Mozilla devs so the sensible thing and wait until F'bird and T'bird are past their respective 1.0 milestones,
and both apps are no longer in alpha/beta testing, before they start to put them in place of the full Mozilla App-Suite.

Meanwhile, MozillaZine reports that Mozilla 1.4.1 release candidate builds, for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X have
been made available for download. There are over 100 bugfixes in 1.4.1, since the recent Mozilla 1.4 was released.
Dr Lobster*

It sounds like you've aquired one of those horrible plugins or ie extensions that takes over your browser. Several of my friends have had these nasties, and even an uninstall-reinstall of the browser won't fix it. If you can't identify the dll that is being loaded by the browser, your only option is to do a clean reinstall of Windows.
DJGM

And that's proof (if proof were needed) that IE really is more trouble than it's worth!
Neil Jones

James, go and download AdAware from http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/ on your home system and install and run it. I think you have some sort of hijacker on there.

Failing that, run the IE6 repair tool.
Chris

DJGM wrote:And that's proof (if proof were needed) that IE really is more trouble than it's worth!
Not quite...

I never have any problems with IE with regards to plugins, browser toolbars etc. To stop yourself from getting them in the first place, you have to be careful about what you download, not what browser you use.

Do not click YES to every box that appears asking you to download or install something and ensure that your security zone settings are up to scratch and not set at low.

And also be aware when installing programs like Kazaa or Messenger Plus (yes, that now has a lop.com toolbar thingy, it won't install if you untick the box :roll: ) and carefully read any licence agreements or things that offer you to install a toolbar or some special plugin etc. Or go for the 'lite' (the ad free version) if there is one.

If you take a look in the E:\WINNT\Downloaded Program Files folder you will see all of the Active X controls installed for your browser, and that includes plugins and toolbars. Deleting a control from this folder usually removes it - so check that first before deciding to wipe the whole system.
MarkN

Neil Jones wrote:James, go and download AdAware from http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/ on your home system and install and run it. I think you have some sort of hijacker on there.

Failing that, run the IE6 repair tool.
Or failing that... no, I'd better not say it...
DAS wrote:The next person to go on about frigging Opera or Mozilla or Apple or anything else will be beaten like an egg. WE'VE GOT THE SODDING MESSAGE.
cdd

MarkN wrote: The Firebird Challenge!

Use Mozilla Firebird instead of Internet Explorer for a fortnight (making sure that all plugins are installed of course! Flash, Java, Shockwave...) and see how you get on!
Well, a while back I did try it, and I forced myself to stick with it for at least 3 weeks, but eventually I decided that Internet Explorer was more for my liking, for a combination of the following reasons:

>> In Windows Explorer, I am truly into the habit of typing URLs into the address bar, which in turn launches Windows Explorer.

>> There is no PROPER Google toolbar available for Mozilla, and unfortunately I find the Google Toolbar too useful to get rid of.

>> You're stuck with the old version of the Real player plugin.

>> One or two web sites insist on using Internet Explorer and cause a great fuss if you're not using Internet Explorer, describing your browser as unable to view the web page -- even though it probably isn't.

Because I tried it a while ago there are a few more reasons why I didn't want to stick with it, but those are the main ones - I will be more than willing to try it again if people can come up with a solution to most of those above problems! :)
Pete

cdd wrote:Well, a while back I did try it, and I forced myself to stick with it for at least 3 weeks, but eventually I decided that Internet Explorer was more for my liking, for a combination of the following reasons:

>> In Windows Explorer, I am truly into the habit of typing URLs into the address bar, which in turn launches Windows Explorer.
Fair enough
>> There is no PROPER Google toolbar available for Mozilla, and unfortunately I find the Google Toolbar too useful to get rid of.
http://googlebar.mozdev.org
>> You're stuck with the old version of the Real player plugin.
I've got a RealONE plugins - you need the registry patch from
http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/phoenix.html
to fix this. This will be fixed with the installer in 0.8 putting the reg entires in for you.
>> One or two web sites insist on using Internet Explorer and cause a great fuss if you're not using Internet Explorer, describing your browser as unable to view the web page -- even though it probably isn't.
Get the UA bar extentions from the extentions website. Then spoof your UA to Windows and see if it works. If it does - email the webmaster and tell them off.
I will be more than willing to try it again if people can come up with a solution to most of those above problems! :)
fancy another go with 0.7?

Remember to read plugindoc for help with plugins (click Windows at the top then click the Firebird link). It's not the easiest of sites to navigate but it's a damn good one.

Also the forums at http://www.mozillazine.org are probably the best user support ones on the web. Less egotistic than Opera's at any rate.
"He has to be larger than bacon"