Another High Street Rebrand

all new Phil

NiKepp wrote: Fri 26 Jan, 2024 10.32 I like to think the people who say they miss being able to shop for Pick n' Mix the most whenever the latest high street chain goes bust are the same people who in every survey done say they want more high brow programming about culture and the arts, and less programming like Jeremy Kyle.

Of course what people say and what any of the actual figures show are very different!
Totally agree. In a previous line of work I was in, famed for selling things to eat and drink that aren’t the healthiest, people would repeatedly say in surveys they wanted healthier food options. We brought in healthier food options, and nobody bought them.
Martin Phillp

all new Phil wrote: Fri 26 Jan, 2024 11.10
NiKepp wrote: Fri 26 Jan, 2024 10.32 I like to think the people who say they miss being able to shop for Pick n' Mix the most whenever the latest high street chain goes bust are the same people who in every survey done say they want more high brow programming about culture and the arts, and less programming like Jeremy Kyle.

Of course what people say and what any of the actual figures show are very different!
Totally agree. In a previous line of work I was in, famed for selling things to eat and drink that aren’t the healthiest, people would repeatedly say in surveys they wanted healthier food options. We brought in healthier food options, and nobody bought them.
Too true. I used to love Cadbury's low sugar option Dairy Milk, but has since been discontinued due to low sales.

That's not to say that there isn't a marked for low calorie/sugar snacks. Graze, One Fibre, Eat Natural etc are just some of the brands competing for those who want treats that aren't as unhealthy.
TVF's London Lite.
WillPS

Martin Phillp wrote: Fri 26 Jan, 2024 22.13
all new Phil wrote: Fri 26 Jan, 2024 11.10

Too true. I used to love Cadbury's low sugar option Dairy Milk, but has since been discontinued due to low sales.

That's not to say that there isn't a marked for low calorie/sugar snacks. Graze, One Fibre, Eat Natural etc are just some of the brands competing for those who want treats that aren't as unhealthy.
Skinny Dream Rocky Road are my fave. 75 cals, and 2 bars count as a 'healthy extra B' on Slimming World.
AxG

WillPS wrote: Sat 23 Dec, 2023 21.14
NiKepp wrote: Sat 23 Dec, 2023 20.43 With more of their big stores closing and Smiths only being interested in the small airport and train station outlets now, maybe the rebrand makes sense. They'll need the shorter name just to fit it on all those much smaller unit signs.
I don't think this is a real problem they have. The limiting factor is usually height, not width.

To add to the list of problems - I don't understand the logic in a stacked logo with a small WH and a big S if the name is just WHS now?
This popped up on my Twitter feed, that York WHSmith has reverted back from the WHS branding that they were trialling.

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/241751 ... s-rebrand/?
NiKepp

I'm getting distinct vibes of that time eons ago where Pizza Hut rebranded a small number of their stores to Pasta Hut. Which was definitely a permanent plan and not just someone in marketing had calculated the cost of replacing a few shop signs for a few months was a much cheaper way to get lots of press attention than paying for real advert spots.

If you want to know how well that worked out to save them in the long term, then just pop down to your local Pizza Hut branch today...
I'm on the David Lees Honor Roll!
gottago

NiKepp wrote: Tue 12 Mar, 2024 22.18 I'm getting distinct vibes of that time eons ago where Pizza Hut rebranded a small number of their stores to Pasta Hut. Which was definitely a permanent plan and not just someone in marketing had calculated the cost of replacing a few shop signs for a few months was a much cheaper way to get lots of press attention than paying for real advert spots.

If you want to know how well that worked out to save them in the long term, then just pop down to your local Pizza Hut branch today...
My only memory of Pasta Hut was when Five News was particularly shit, for some reason they gave this rebrand (which was clearly just marketing) a full three minute news report followed by a live studio interview with their particularly lispy CEO.