High Street chain collapse sweepstake

Martin Phillp

Dr Lobster* wrote: Fri 09 Feb, 2024 19.07 https://news.sky.com/story/new-body-sho ... n-13067609

Body Shop to go into administration.

I can remember all the ladies in my life used to be mad about the Body Shop, in the late 1990s - to early 2000s, not seen anything branded by them in any of our bathrooms for years and years… I’m guessing it just fell out of favour for whatever reason.
They were big in the late 80s and early 90s when the masses were starting to think about ethical and environmental issues.

The Body Shop started it, but there are so many companies that are providing ethical products these days that they've lost their USP.
TVF's London Lite.
thegeek

The last time I saw a The Body Shop and it actually registered in my consciousness was when I was in Seoul a few years back - but it was in Myeong-dong, which is home of many a flagship cosmetics shop, so it was a particularly big and swanky one.

I guess Lush has supplanted it as a home-grown eco-conscious smelly things outlet. (Speaking of which, I went into their Oxford Street flagship before Christmas, and that was a stressful experience I could have done without.)
Martin Phillp

FRP have been appointed administrators for The Body Shop.
TVF's London Lite.
Blewatter

thegeek wrote: Sun 11 Feb, 2024 10.18 The last time I saw a The Body Shop and it actually registered in my consciousness was when I was in Seoul a few years back - but it was in Myeong-dong, which is home of many a flagship cosmetics shop, so it was a particularly big and swanky one.

I guess Lush has supplanted it as a home-grown eco-conscious smelly things outlet. (Speaking of which, I went into their Oxford Street flagship before Christmas, and that was a stressful experience I could have done without.)
I was just thinking that myself. It does feel like Lush has become the primary 'bath shower beauty' shop in recent years. The Body Shop is really not somewhere id say was my first port of call for the women in my life. Always been of the mindset that it was too pricey.
Dr Lobster*

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68295306#

Rekom, owner of various night clubs and venues announcing closure of a number of sites.

Around me, pretty much all the proper night clubs have closed now - closest at least an hours drive away.

Thing is, they never were cheap places to go and now people have a lot less disposable it’s an easy thing to not do.

It’s a shame though, I’ve had some great nights in Chicago Rock Cafe etc seems sad my children won’t have the same experience growing up!
Zimba

Dr Lobster* wrote: Thu 15 Feb, 2024 20.14 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68295306#

Rekom, owner of various night clubs and venues announcing closure of a number of sites.

Around me, pretty much all the proper night clubs have closed now - closest at least an hours drive away.

Thing is, they never were cheap places to go and now people have a lot less disposable it’s an easy thing to not do.

It’s a shame though, I’ve had some great nights in Chicago Rock Cafe etc seems sad my children won’t have the same experience growing up!
No need to go to a night club like that anymore, just get yourself on Tinder and be done in 5 minutes.

So many better places around and Liquid / Pryzm or whatever it's called this week has been out for near 20 years, they were unpopular when I was 18 and that nearly 15 year ago now.

Rude staff, expensive prices, crap music, rubbish atmosphere - not exactly the place to be.

It's also the third time these have gone bust now, doing the same thing over and over again usually ends in the same place.
Nick Harvey
God

Crikey, you're really making me feel old now.

Last time I went to a nightclub, it was The Keel Club in Bathampton, where I was a member for a number of years.

That closed down permanently in 1974.

Memories of getting kicked out in the summer after it got light and going for a nap on the river bank before driving home.
all new Phil

Classic Nick.
Henry26

Martin Phillp wrote: Tue 28 Nov, 2023 18.14 First look at the interior of Wilko Plymouth as it reopens as the first store under The Range management on Friday.

That looks kind of fresh, I kind of like the atmosphere this image gives
Martin Phillp

Wilko store number 4 under The Range management will open on Friday 29th March (Good Friday) in St. Albans.
TVF's London Lite.
Martin Phillp

The Body Shop first closures are in. They plan to close half of their physical stores as part of restructuring.

Stores that will close today are:

Surrey Quays (London)
Oxford Street - Bond Street (London)
Canary Wharf (London)
Cheapside (London)
Nuneaton
Ashford (Kent)
Bristol Queens Road

At a guess, the four London stores are closing due to higher rents and the three outside London are due to poor sales.
TVF's London Lite.