The Barclays and other non-Lloyds/TSB Bank thread

WillPS

Charlie Wells wrote: Mon 22 May, 2023 08.27
Jonwo wrote: Sun 21 May, 2023 22.01 It's interesting that we've not seen QR Code payment take off in the UK or US. It's a huge thing in China and India.
I assume that's essentially what Tesco's payment wallet is, for when paying in store via their app. These days it stores payment cards in the wallet, whereas I think an earlier version worked differently. It generates what looks like a QR code that appears to change every 30 seconds or so, a bit like authentication apps.
That's how Payqwiq (as was) worked from the start. At one point Tesco Pay+ (as it became, not to be confused with Clubcard Pay+) also allowed you to top up and use a balance, I think they were trying to position it as a budgeting thing. It disappeared as quickly as it showed up.
Pete

One thing about Pay+ is it includes clubcard and, for staff, discount in one single scan. (M&S have also integrated their discount card into sparks I believe).

It also had a much higher transaction limit than contactless.

BTW is it just me or is tesco's mobile limit flakey? I been refused on apple pay for over £100 a couple of times yet it should accept apple pay for up to £250.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

Pete wrote: Tue 23 May, 2023 07.56 One thing about Pay+ is it includes clubcard and, for staff, discount in one single scan. (M&S have also integrated their discount card into sparks I believe).

It also had a much higher transaction limit than contactless.

BTW is it just me or is tesco's mobile limit flakey? I been refused on apple pay for over £100 a couple of times yet it should accept apple pay for up to £250.
More likely you're hitting a soft limit set by your issuer. In LBG accounts you can manage the amounts which can be authorised in the relevant app, although you will eventually be prompted for a PIN in most cases regardless.
Pete

WillPS wrote: Tue 23 May, 2023 11.46More likely you're hitting a soft limit set by your issuer. In LBG accounts you can manage the amounts which can be authorised in the relevant app, although you will eventually be prompted for a PIN in most cases regardless.
A £100 limit on Amex?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

Pete wrote: Wed 24 May, 2023 09.43
WillPS wrote: Tue 23 May, 2023 11.46More likely you're hitting a soft limit set by your issuer. In LBG accounts you can manage the amounts which can be authorised in the relevant app, although you will eventually be prompted for a PIN in most cases regardless.
A £100 limit on Amex?
Doesn't sound right, but maybe.
WillPS

Nationwide have rebranded. Their old logo was dated but the new branding has got a very 90s feel.

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/about-us/a ... -changing/
tillyoshea

WillPS wrote: Sat 07 Oct, 2023 00.48 Nationwide have rebranded. Their old logo was dated but the new branding has got a very 90s feel.
They’ve taken the heavily stylised church behind the house out of their logo. I think that would have attracted the ire of the right-wing press a decade ago, but I suspect even they won’t care these days.
BBC TV Centre

tillyoshea wrote: Sat 07 Oct, 2023 08.42
WillPS wrote: Sat 07 Oct, 2023 00.48 Nationwide have rebranded. Their old logo was dated but the new branding has got a very 90s feel.
They’ve taken the heavily stylised church behind the house out of their logo. I think that would have attracted the ire of the right-wing press a decade ago, but I suspect even they won’t care these days.
I'm surprised they still had cards with horrifically 90s bevelled Nationwide logo still on! I remember getting a Flexdirect account a few years back and received one of these, definitely very retro.

I wonder if this generic image on the site is what our cards might look like in future:

Jacket

tillyoshea wrote: Sat 07 Oct, 2023 08.42 They’ve taken the heavily stylised church behind the house out of their logo.
It wasn't a church but a "tall building to represent industry", according to their history page. https://www.nationwide.co.uk/about-us/our-history/
tillyoshea

Jacket wrote: Sat 07 Oct, 2023 11.56
It wasn't a church but a "tall building to represent industry", according to their history page. https://www.nationwide.co.uk/about-us/our-history/
Well, blow me down with a feather!
thegeek

BBC TV Centre wrote: Sat 07 Oct, 2023 10.02
I wonder if this generic image on the site is what our cards might look like in future:
the FAQ specifically says you can re-add your card to your digital wallet if you want to get the new design.

Maybe it'll grow on me.