High Street chain collapse sweepstake

Zimba

cwathen wrote: Sun 01 Oct, 2023 23.49
WillPS wrote: Sat 30 Sep, 2023 22.22 Looks like Poundland are running these shops with a very light touch rebranding: https://www.sloughobserver.co.uk/news/2 ... gh-street/

I imagine it's temporary but I expected them to close and put their normal fit out (which isn't especially elaborate) in before they started, especially since they didn't take on the staff!
I guess it depends on the site but I wonder if some of these acquisitions are to create more standalone Pep & Co stores and reopening them as Poundland with the existing Wilko shopfit is just a temporary solution to get them trading until they roll this out?

One store I did notice they've bought is Bedminster, Bristol where there is already an existing Poundland in a similarly sized unit 20 seconds walk away on the same street. I can't imagine they seriously intend to keep both as Poundland stores long term and unless the Wilko unit has particularly improved rental terms over their existing store I can't imagine they've bought it just to move a few feet up the road either. A standalone Pep & Co store seems more likely to me.
I can't comment on other areas of the country but I can't see it.

Some of these new Poundland stores will be the biggest in the chain, they're well above the average size, especially for town centre locations. They'll have Pep & Co, but they're too big for it alone.

It'll be interesting to see if they trial a new format in them and that's one of the reasons they're delaying it. I know Poundland has brand recognition but they're crying out for a rebrand and become more like B&M and Home Bargains and push it's full range rather than items for a £1. The Pep&Co branding, in particular, is becoming a lot more prominent in recent years - maybe it's where they're heading.
Whataday

WillPS wrote: Sat 30 Sep, 2023 22.22 Looks like Poundland are running these shops with a very light touch rebranding: https://www.sloughobserver.co.uk/news/2 ... gh-street/

I imagine it's temporary but I expected them to close and put their normal fit out(which isn't especially elaborate) in before they started, especially since they didn't take on the staff!
Going on the recent refit of their Cardiff Queen Street branch, their fit outs are getting more elaborate. It has more of a mini supermarket feel due to the extra food offering and clothing, and the branch was closed about a month for the refit.

I would imagine Poundland do especially well between September and December, due to Back to School/Uni, Halloween and Christmas. It might make more sense to hold back until the new year which is what they seem to be doing. Also they'll need to fit these in with their existing refit programme.
Martin Phillp

Whataday wrote: Tue 03 Oct, 2023 10.03

I imagine it's temporary but I expected them to close and put their normal fit out(which isn't especially elaborate) in before they started, especially since they didn't take on the staff!
Going on the recent refit of their Cardiff Queen Street branch, their fit outs are getting more elaborate. It has more of a mini supermarket feel due to the extra food offering and clothing, and the branch was closed about a month for the refit.
It sounds similar to the Poundland Local format that is my nearest store. It's been fitted as a small scale supermarket with freezers and chillers to the back and side of the store, alongside standard shelves which are food skewed, alongside Poundland's popular non-food products.

The Poundland with a Pep & Co I tend to go to only has chillers with one dedicated to milk, chilled meats etc with the rest crammed with drinks.
TVF's London Lite.
Whataday

Martin Phillp wrote: Wed 04 Oct, 2023 00.11
Whataday wrote: Tue 03 Oct, 2023 10.03

It sounds similar to the Poundland Local format that is my nearest store. It's been fitted as a small scale supermarket with freezers and chillers to the back and side of the store, alongside standard shelves which are food skewed, alongside Poundland's popular non-food products.
Yes sounds pretty similar, although the Cardiff branch has a Pep & Co upstairs. Whatever they've done to the Cardiff Queen St branch has made it a much pleasurable shopping experience.
Martin Phillp

While there's no concern of imminent collapse, Metro Bank is looking at ways to raise capital.

Metro Bank's model of all day high street banking, along with weekend opening is looking rather archaic when the mainstream banks are moving towards fewer high street branches and them closing much earlier.

https://news.sky.com/story/metro-bank-p ... s-12976839
TVF's London Lite.
JAS84

Zimba wrote: Tue 03 Oct, 2023 08.27
cwathen wrote: Sun 01 Oct, 2023 23.49

I imagine it's temporary but I expected them to close and put their normal fit out (which isn't especially elaborate) in before they started, especially since they didn't take on the staff!
I guess it depends on the site but I wonder if some of these acquisitions are to create more standalone Pep & Co stores and reopening them as Poundland with the existing Wilko shopfit is just a temporary solution to get them trading until they roll this out?

One store I did notice they've bought is Bedminster, Bristol where there is already an existing Poundland in a similarly sized unit 20 seconds walk away on the same street. I can't imagine they seriously intend to keep both as Poundland stores long term and unless the Wilko unit has particularly improved rental terms over their existing store I can't imagine they've bought it just to move a few feet up the road either. A standalone Pep & Co store seems more likely to me.
I can't comment on other areas of the country but I can't see it.

Some of these new Poundland stores will be the biggest in the chain, they're well above the average size, especially for town centre locations. They'll have Pep & Co, but they're too big for it alone.

It'll be interesting to see if they trial a new format in them and that's one of the reasons they're delaying it. I know Poundland has brand recognition but they're crying out for a rebrand and become more like B&M and Home Bargains and push it's full range rather than items for a £1. The Pep&Co branding, in particular, is becoming a lot more prominent in recent years - maybe it's where they're heading.
Given it's no longer "Everything £1", maybe the Poundland name should be retired? Isn't it called Dealz in Ireland, where the currency is the Euro so the Poundland name wouldn't make sense? The Dealz name doesn't mention a specific price or currency, so it's futureproof.

Poundworld had already seen this problem coming before they closed down, they'd started rebranding as Bargain Buys.
Martin Phillp

One of the recent Wilko to Poundland quick conversions in Eccles had part of the ceiling fall down.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... t-27825952
TVF's London Lite.
Zimba

JAS84 wrote: Thu 05 Oct, 2023 15.56 Given it's no longer "Everything £1", maybe the Poundland name should be retired? Isn't it called Dealz in Ireland, where the currency is the Euro so the Poundland name wouldn't make sense? The Dealz name doesn't mention a specific price or currency, so it's futureproof.

Poundworld had already seen this problem coming before they closed down, they'd started rebranding as Bargain Buys.
Aye honestly agreed, the convenience stores are the worst. I'd never think of shopping at a Poundland Local to do food shopping but it's basically what they're for. £1 for a tin of beans for example is just expensive, it's got all a bit messy.

Btw, I really love the branding of their flagship brand Pep in South Africa - https://www.google.com/maps/place/PEP+C ... ?entry=ttu.

That's one of their storefronts, think it's really basic but looks smart at the same time. If you changed the blue to the Poundland turqouise instead you'd instantly be able to recognise the brand. Pep like you said with Dealz could be anything aswell.

Edit: Speaking of Dealz, it seems like the above is already happening but it's pepco instead - https://www.independent.ie/business/iri ... 54721.html
Martin Phillp

Zimba wrote: Thu 05 Oct, 2023 19.49
JAS84 wrote: Thu 05 Oct, 2023 15.56 Given it's no longer "Everything £1", maybe the Poundland name should be retired? Isn't it called Dealz in Ireland, where the currency is the Euro so the Poundland name wouldn't make sense? The Dealz name doesn't mention a specific price or currency, so it's futureproof.

Aye honestly agreed, the convenience stores are the worst. I'd never think of shopping at a Poundland Local to do food shopping but it's basically what they're for. £1 for a tin of beans for example is just expensive, it's got all a bit messy.
My Poundland Local is pretty good for frozen branded products. Compared to the Co-op across the road from it, they charge £4.25 for McCain Jacket Potatoes x4, while Poundland Local charges £3. (Sainsbury's are also charging £3 on Nectar Prices currently).

However I agree with your point that they're trying to compete with the convienence stores which is why they have the extended hours compared to a normal Poundland, yet in all honesty, I go there in the hope of getting products sold in the regular stores. I bought a cheap mouse for £4 which a normal store also sells.
TVF's London Lite.
Zimba

Martin Phillp wrote: Fri 06 Oct, 2023 00.24
Zimba wrote: Thu 05 Oct, 2023 19.49

My Poundland Local is pretty good for frozen branded products. Compared to the Co-op across the road from it, they charge £4.25 for McCain Jacket Potatoes x4, while Poundland Local charges £3. (Sainsbury's are also charging £3 on Nectar Prices currently).

However I agree with your point that they're trying to compete with the convienence stores which is why they have the extended hours compared to a normal Poundland, yet in all honesty, I go there in the hope of getting products sold in the regular stores. I bought a cheap mouse for £4 which a normal store also sells.
To be fair to them, it's probably a good market for them especially if they go more sub urban. Around here we've just got 2 very expensive co-op's like you said but could imagine the brand causing confusion big time with people going in for wool and whatever else they go instead and being baffled at why they're selling Jacket Potatoes etc.

Mind, the Iceland Swift we had at Four Lane Ends was terrible, just expensive and pointless. Now gone and not surprised at all, the Tesco Express along the road was just much better.
BBC TV Centre

Zimba wrote: Fri 06 Oct, 2023 10.13 Mind, the Iceland Swift we had at Four Lane Ends was terrible, just expensive and pointless. Now gone and not surprised at all, the Tesco Express along the road was just much better.
I've never understood the point of Iceland Swifts - well, not the one in Hounslow anyway.

Up the same stretch of road is a large Iceland store. I realise the Swift used to be an Iceland store, but to entirely refurb it cosmetically, and put in brand new fridges, tills, other gear in seemed a waste of money. Especially, given that less than a minutes' walk away is a Tesco Express and past the large Iceland there's an entire stret full of local independent stores selling pretty much everything you could want food-wise for all regions. And if you want to help Bezos to the moon, theres an Amazon Fresh next to the bus garage.