E-bike rental

Martin Phillp

thegeek wrote: Fri 22 Sep, 2023 20.48 Dott have left the ebike market in London
Can't say I'm surprised. I've never seen a single rider on a Dott bike.

It's very hard for any rival in the London e-bike market to beat Lime because they simply have the money to blitz a local area with bikes.

(Human) Forest are a far second from my own personal observations as I've seen people use their e-bikes as well, but never anyone on a Tier bike.
TVF's London Lite.
Gavin Scott
Admin

I've been electric scootering since May 2020. I'm on my second one now as my initial Kugo G-Booster went through a lot of punctures. I managed to go over the handle bars of it 3 months after buying it and landed badly and broke both my elbows. Took a while to get my strength back, not to mention confidence!

Legislation in Scotland to allow the use of these didn't make it through the parliamentary calendar back when England/Wales did theirs, so they are unequivocally illegal to use anywhere except private land with the owners permission. I've been stopped by the police many times. Sometimes you have to play the daft laddie and offer to get off the scooter and walk it home, other officers seem more inclined to have the 'look the other way if you're careful' approach. They have the right to seize it from you there and then and you don't get them back. So reading the body language of the particular police officer is helpful. (Tip - they're 70% wanks).

Now scooting on this Obarter X3 but looking forward an upgrade soonish. Once the tread on the tyres has gone. I've had no punctures. I think this has un-puncturable pneumatic tyres - however that works.

thegeek

The idea of going 40mph on one of those things gives me the heebie-jeebies.

I've only tried escooters when they were on the pilot programme in the Olympic Park and even top speed on one of those felt a bit precarious in a way that the same speed on a bike wouldn't - I think it's probably down to how well you'd fare if you hit a pothole or needed to make an evasive manoeuvre.
bilky asko

Gavin Scott wrote: Sat 23 Sep, 2023 12.54 So reading the body language of the particular police officer is helpful. (Tip - they're 70% wanks).
That's a lot of wanking to ride an e-scooter
Gavin Scott
Admin

In a hideous twist of fate my back tyre punctured today.

About to find out how difficult it is to get a tubeless 11" tyre replaced.
Martin Phillp

Lime have expanded their coverage to the whole of the London Borough of Lewisham, which sees the company expanding into more of SE London.
TVF's London Lite.