High Street chain collapse sweepstake

thegeek

in the Monument branch, the manual checkout is next to a manual gate - ie you pay for stuff and can 'just walk out'.
Jonwo

It seems those six Empire cinemas that closed recently are being eyed by rival smaller chains:
https://www.screendaily.com/news/rival- ... 12.article

Omniplex is an interesting one because the Anderson family used to have a stake in Empire, I think the regional cinemas aren't going to touch Walthamstow but I could see The Light acquiring it.
Martin Phillp

Wilko has filed a notice of intention to appoint administrators.
TVF's London Lite.
JAS84

Martin Phillp

At least £70m to rescue Wilko of which they need in the region of £25m-30m to get stock flowing back in stores.

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/20 ... 0m-rescue/
TVF's London Lite.
Martin Phillp

The Guardian reported that the logistics firm that handles Wilko's store deliveries suspended deliveries for two days last week while they were awaiting payment.

Home delivery is suspended, but thanks to store deliveries resuming click and collect is back to normal.
TVF's London Lite.
Martin Phillp

Wilko entered administration this morning.

https://news.sky.com/story/around-12-00 ... n-12937106
TVF's London Lite.
JAS84

Martin Phillp wrote: Thu 10 Aug, 2023 02.07 The Guardian reported that the logistics firm that handles Wilko's store deliveries suspended deliveries for two days last week while they were awaiting payment.

Home delivery is suspended, but thanks to store deliveries resuming click and collect is back to normal.
And surprisingly, still operating despite them being put in administration. Usually websites are taken down when that happens, which would've disabled it. The CEO posted a letter on there too. I'll copy/paste it in case the site does go down.
https://www.wilko.com/medias/A-message- ... ackson.pdf
An open letter from Mark Jackson, wilko CEO.
Over the past six months wilko has been very open that we’ve been considering options to accelerate
a turnaround plan given that we needed to make significant changes to the way we operate to restore
confidence and stabilise our business. We left no stone unturned when it came to preserving this incredible
business but must concede that with regret, we’ve no choice but to take the difficult decision to enter into
administration.
We’ve a history steeped in serving customers and communities going back to 1930. Our founder JK Wilkinson
started with a single hardware shop in Leicester and for over 90 years busy, hard-working families have come to
us to get their household and garden jobs done quickly, simply and at the best value prices possible.
We thrived and successfully grew from one to 400 stores. We did this by listening to our customers – working out
what they needed and then making sure we gave it to them. Whether it was recognising the demands for DIY
products in the 1950s, creating our first wilko product range in the 1970s, launching online shopping in the 2000s
or being the first to sell 100% plastic-free wipes across our whole range.
wilko is a business built on strong values. We started out in the great depression and the Second World War,
we’ve been there for our customers through highs and lows, recessions and coronations. Our loyal team
members past and present have always been our biggest asset – our average length of service across our
stores is 10 years and, in many places, generations of team members have been on hand with advice or even
just a friendly smile. We recently remained open as an essential retailer during the Covid-19 pandemic, serving
our communities when they really needed us the most.
The turnaround plan included a new Chair, bringing experience in retail turnaround situations, and a newly
refreshed and streamlined senior team. Since January, and with the help of retail advisers and experts, we’ve
been facing into problems and have seen real progress against many areas of our plan.
We’ve made significant savings across our cost base and have been considering various options based on
advice regarding our store costs. Alongside this we’ve continued to move forward with strategically accelerating
our omnichannel offer, improving the digital customer experience and opening up new marketplaces for our
great value wilko products. We believe that wilko has distinct characteristics with over 50% of sales in wilko brand
products (over 10,000), our value, local shopping locations and ever-expanding digital capabilities.
Significant work has been completed to streamline costs and transform the way the business operates, and
our robust turnaround plan, based on annualised cost savings, would have delivered the most profitable wilko
ever recorded within 24 months. While we can confirm we had a significant level of interest, including indicative
offers that we believe would meet all our financial criteria to recapitalise the business, without the surety of being
able to complete the deal within the necessary time frame and given the cash position, we’ve been left with no
choice but to take this unfortunate action.
I’d like to take this opportunity on behalf of the directors and the Wilkinson family to thank all of our customers,
suppliers, partners and our hardworking team members across our stores, logistics and support centre who
remained loyal to wilko. We’ve all fought hard to keep this incredible business intact but must concede that time
has run out, and now we must do what’s best to preserve as many jobs as possible, for as long as is possible, by
working with our appointed administrators.
It’s been an honour to have worked alongside you all as we fought to realise and to maximise the significant
opportunities that existed to re-establish a profitable wilko.
Charlie Wells

JAS84 wrote: Thu 10 Aug, 2023 14.04
Martin Phillp wrote: Thu 10 Aug, 2023 02.07 The Guardian reported that the logistics firm that handles Wilko's store deliveries suspended deliveries for two days last week while they were awaiting payment.

And surprisingly, still operating despite them being put in administration. Usually websites are taken down when that happens, which would've disabled it. The CEO posted a letter on there too. I'll copy/paste it in case the site does go down.
https://www.wilko.com/medias/A-message- ... ackson.pdf
I'm guessing the administrators must be reasonably confident someone buying all or most of it. It's safe to say the warning signs had been there, with some empty shelves for a while and the national lottery removing their terminals. Overall it's not a bad shop, and stuff seemed to be of a fairly reasonable quality.

I think some of the shop units they have are probably too big. I recall the Bedford high street store used to have a public first floor, however when I last visited the escalators had been boxed in and that floor was no longer accessible to the public. It probably also didn't help that their nearest store was only about 2.5 miles away on a retail park just outside Bedford. I'm guessing some of there other branches may have had either too much (unused) space costing them money, another store within a couple miles, or both.
"If ass holes could fly then this place would be an airport."
tillyoshea

Charlie Wells wrote: Thu 10 Aug, 2023 15.49I'm guessing the administrators must be reasonably confident someone buying all or most of it. It's safe to say the warning signs had been there, with some empty shelves for a while and the national lottery removing their terminals. Overall it's not a bad shop, and stuff seemed to be of a fairly reasonable quality.

I think some of the shop units they have are probably too big. I recall the Bedford high street store used to have a public first floor, however when I last visited the escalators had been boxed in and that floor was no longer accessible to the public. It probably also didn't help that their nearest store was only about 2.5 miles away on a retail park just outside Bedford. I'm guessing some of there other branches may have had either too much (unused) space costing them money, another store within a couple miles, or both.
I tend to agree.

Rarely have I been so turned off by a CEO letter in a scenario like this, though. It's so leaden with muddy language that it comes across like he doesn't understand the basics of the business—"we’ve continued to move forward with strategically accelerating our omnichannel offer" is my particular lowlight.
Martin Phillp

Photocopies of the CEOs letter to customers have been put up aceoss my local store but you can't read them properly.
TVF's London Lite.