High Street chain collapse sweepstake

WillPS

Slightly confusing article. Is it 'up to 35' or 30% of 410?
Sput

My local Wilko is doing “Spend £5 and get 10% off your next shop” which doesn’t totally fill me with confidence about how things are going
Knight knight
WillPS

Sput wrote: Tue 02 May, 2023 15.19 My local Wilko is doing “Spend £5 and get 10% off your next shop” which doesn’t totally fill me with confidence about how things are going
Supermarkets have done similar offers in the past. Wilko are safe until Christmas at least with Hilco's investment I expect.
bilky asko

Indeed, I have just received a 20% off if I spend £20 voucher on the My Morrisons app.
Martin Phillp

I was also in Wilko and spotted that on the receipt. Staff were told to explain the promotion on the tills.

Another observation I noticed recently is that the self service card only tills are closed more than open in my local Wilko leaving it to the one staffed till to deal with everything.
TVF's London Lite.
Pete

WillPS wrote: Tue 02 May, 2023 20.39
Sput wrote: Tue 02 May, 2023 15.19 My local Wilko is doing “Spend £5 and get 10% off your next shop” which doesn’t totally fill me with confidence about how things are going
Supermarkets have done similar offers in the past. Wilko are safe until Christmas at least with Hilco's investment I expect.
Wilko is definitely not as cheap as it used to be. I went in two branches recently and left with nothing. Anything branded is cheaper in home bargains and their own brand stuff is sometimes more expensive than the equivalent in Sainsburys/Tesco who both have excellent homeware depts.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Martin Phillp

I don't think since they had the recent financial issues that they've been able to get as many good deals as they used to.

For example, they have Johnson's Baby Shampoo on offer at £2, RRP £2.60. Sainsbury's have it for £1.55 and Amazon for £1.67.

In some good news, HMV is finally returning to 363 Oxford Street in London after Sunrise Records pulled out of renewing the lease on what is an expensive site. The current occupant is one of those dodgy American Candy Stores that are a front for something criminal.

https://metro.co.uk/2023/04/28/hmv-retu ... p-18690204
TVF's London Lite.
WillPS

I see both The Mail and Metro have neglected to mention the fact the store wasn't there in the 00s either. Oh well.
Andrew

Not a high street retailer, but I imagine they delivered to many of them

I was reading on another forum, that Eddie Stobart as a brand is pretty much dead

They were acquired by the ‘Culina Group’ in the last few years and the new owners are prioritising their brand over the Stobart brand, rebranding the cab units into their modern white livery, with the Stobart brand, in a new modern font restricted to the occasional trailer, which I can’t say I’ve ever actually seen.

The mainstream media haven’t noticed yet though, when they do there will no doubt be various stories generated.
thegeek

Culina Group are owned by Müller, as in the Fruit Corner people, which is a brand extension I can't say I would have expected.

That livery doesn't have a lot going for it.
Martin Phillp

HMV are also returning to Ireland with their first store reopening in Dublin at 18 Henry Street later this summer, while Argos Ireland's last day of trading is June 24th, except for three stores which have already closed this year and Galway on June 10th.
TVF's London Lite.