Emergency alerts

Sput

Nick Harvey wrote: Sun 23 Apr, 2023 15.43
cwathen wrote: 'More testing required' methinks.
Please no.

I have no wish to go through all this again.
Was the delivery of the telegram poorly executed, Nick?
Knight knight
Nick Harvey
God

Sput wrote: Was the delivery of the telegram poorly executed, Nick?
Yes. The guy just tucked it under the handset and went away.

Alexia

We don't have tornados, earthquakes or bushfires. We have localised flooding but there are pre-existing, local, targeted systems for that including old WW2 sirens.

What exactly is this for?
WillPS

Alexia wrote: Mon 24 Apr, 2023 22.10 We don't have tornados, earthquakes or bushfires. We have localised flooding but there are pre-existing, local, targeted systems for that including old WW2 sirens.

What exactly is this for?
We do have wildfires and will have more and more as time goes on, as well as decreasingly predictable flooding and other natural disasters.

We also have terror threats domestically, not to mention situations like Grenfell when the right advice in a timely manner could have made some difference.

'Why don't we already have this sorted?' is a more legitimate question.
Pete

So apparently the issue was that three only broadcast the signal once, instead of continuously for 20 minutes, meaning if your phone didn't have a flawless connection at that exact moment it didn't get the alert.

I did get quite a fright as I was driving at the time and it came through the carplay, which meant i initially thought it was an alarm from the car itself.

Obviously the pearl clutching and hysteria in the papers beforehand was far more tedious than the ten seconds of beeping itself.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Nick Harvey
God

Pete wrote: Obviously the pearl clutching and hysteria in the papers beforehand was far more tedious than the ten seconds of beeping itself.
Exactly.
Andrew Wood

I guess not many people have been receiving the test emergency alerts from their network provider.

I was with O2/Tesco Mobile until about a month ago, and have had six tests of the system since October last year.