Pres Cafe Watch News and Information Board

T0M

Thread seems to be repeating itself again and again a bit -I am all for a healthy debate but I think there needs to come a time where people stop interacting with someone who is clearly trying their hardest to be contrarian and is not listening to a word you say because they want to keep spluttering illogical nonsense. There is no good outcome of interacting with their insanity other than the topic just looping and looping.
bilky asko

It does seem that good sense is winning out on the whole - even with a certain right-wing member pretending that they're not right-wing and not defending Neil Oliver.
DavidWhitfield

bilky asko wrote: Sun 12 Mar, 2023 19.21 "... even with a certain right-wing member pretending that they're not right-wing and not defending Neil Oliver."
Since this is obviously about me - (a) I've never voted Conservative in my life, and (b) I was defending the BBC airing an old episode of Coast not Neil Oliver as a person. As you were.
Philip

I was surprised how civil the thread was and how little intervention there was needed from moderators (which I consider a very good thing - I always hated the mass deleting of posts on TVF)
james2001

T0M wrote: Sat 11 Mar, 2023 12.31 The highlight of yesterday evening was a user coming into the Lineker thread like a bull in a china shop and threatening to leave (as if the forum would crumble to pieces without their presence) because of how “uncomfortably political” the thread was… This looked extremely silly because the whole topic was inevitably immersed in politics, and except some of usual insane posts - the thread was genuinely rather civil and the whole complaint was very ironic considering what topic it was all about. Were they expecting the whole thread to be wiped at their command? It’s the most alive the forum has been in… well… ever!

Alas, same guy threatened to stop watching a TV show on the old place because one of the people had the nerve and audacity… to have a Scouse accent. Go figure!
Unsuprisingly, said person was also one of those who claimed they "enjoyed MOTD much more without the commentary", and I think it's fair to say that pretty much everyone who's held that view comes from the same part of the political spectrum, which I think explains a lot of the reason why they were so angry about the thread getting "political" when nearly everyone was on Gary's side.

If MOTD had gone out like that on a seemingly normal week with no warning, I can't see many people claiming it was an improvement or raving how wonderful it was.
Martin Phillp

Like others, I was satisfied with the level of moderation on the Lineker thread which allowed for robust debate from both sides and when we had the misunderstanding with David, it was soon resolved among members rather than mods stepping in which can be a much better solution than mass deleting posts and temporary bans.

Compare that to the GB News thread which I'm surprised is still going considering how terse that is compared to the Lineker debate.
TVF's London Lite.
T0M

Reading that thread is becoming tedious work. No matter how you spin it, GB News were not well intentioned at all - the fact people are jumping to it’s defence as if it is the first time GB News has ever shown a glimpse of resentment towards the LGBTQ community is a little odd. No matter if he meant that joke to be homophobic or not, that whole thing was a slip of the mask. You can’t just categorise a group human beings as solely being a product of wokeness, either.

It is nice however, to see how many members of the forum actually have good sense. I don’t want it to be an echo chamber don’t get me wrong - but it’s nice to know that many won’t tolerate utter BS.
🍊
james2001

The Gary Lineker thread on Pres Cafe was fine, especially compared to the one on DS where there was such wonderful comments as "I don't want immigrants living near me because people try and burn their houses down"...

I remember getting told off for daring to post negative opinions of GB News in the thread on TVLF, as if discussions on the channel should be as one sided as the channel itself. I won't name the person responsible, but it's one of the few who were kicking up a fuss in the Lineker thread.
Martin Phillp

One member especially is being very snappy in that thread.
TVF's London Lite.
Steve in Pudsey

Is Nemesis Nick who has turned up on the Red Nose Day thread decrying the recent editions as "tommyrot" our old friend or a Tumble Tower tribute act?
dosxuk

It's either Tumble Tower or someone wanting us to believe it's him - Nemesis Nick has always been one of his other online handles.