High Street chain collapse sweepstake

WillPS

GeekyJames wrote: Wed 01 Feb, 2023 21.59 a real shame about Paperchase, will definitely be a gap in the High Street for a more premium card and stationery shop
In years gone by I used to swear by their wrapping paper but in the last 4 or 5 years the quality has nosedived, it's so thin it tears as you pull it around the contours of a box.

And their shops are (were) lit obscenely.
bilky asko

The main attraction of Paperchase were the decent prices after Christmas. I've got a fair few discounted rolls from January.

Their paper is still better than supermarket fare, but I'm a big fan of Clairefontaine wrapping paper for something strong and dependable.
JAS84

thegeek wrote: Sun 11 Dec, 2022 21.54 M&Co, again.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-sc ... s-63933835
All stores closing down. Another brand going online only.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-64535978
Martin Phillp

M&Co gave up their lease on my local store which is now a Superdrug before the pandemic, which would suggest they were in trouble well before then.

I never saw anyone use the store in the last decade when it was open. I remember another store before it went into administration starting selling non-clothing tat (Primark is also guilty of doing this) by the counters in an attempt to add more revenue per customer.
TVF's London Lite.
all new Phil

Speaking of Primark - they seem to be having a great time at the moment. Every time I go into one, no matter where, there always seems to be a huge queue for the tills. They seem to have found a niche for homeware stuff with either Harry Potter or Mickey Mouse plastered all over them.
WillPS

Martin Phillp wrote: Mon 06 Feb, 2023 21.09 M&Co gave up their lease on my local store which is now a Superdrug before the pandemic, which would suggest they were in trouble well before then.

I never saw anyone use the store in the last decade when it was open. I remember another store before it went into administration starting selling non-clothing tat (Primark is also guilty of doing this) by the counters in an attempt to add more revenue per customer.
They've been shrinking for years. A large cluster of stores closed in 2020: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-53665048
JAS84

Martin Phillp wrote: Mon 06 Feb, 2023 21.09 M&Co gave up their lease on my local store which is now a Superdrug before the pandemic, which would suggest they were in trouble well before then.

Well, yeah, there's a reason thegeek said it happened to them again. This isn't their first time in administration. They'll have closed a bunch of stores the first time. Now they're all going.
gottago

The branch of Leon in Spitalfields Market has a repossession notice in the window and is permanently closed. Is that normal for a medium sized fast food chain owned by a large retailer?!
thegeek

gottago wrote: Mon 27 Feb, 2023 18.04 The branch of Leon in Spitalfields Market has a repossession notice in the window and is permanently closed. Is that normal for a medium sized fast food chain owned by a large retailer?!
I guess that branch's footfall probably hasn't recovered since Covid (and the market have gone a lot more food-led, so there's a lot more competition) but you'd expect them to terminate their lease properly rather than do a moonlit flit.
thegeek

Are Kwik-Fit slimming down? I've noticed a 'to let' sign outside our local branch. (Interestingly as a garage, as I'm sure a developer wouldn't have too much trouble getting planning permission to turn it into flats)