Pres Cafe Watch News and Information Board

DTV

Philip wrote: Thu 01 Dec, 2022 08.15 Yeah maybe the reason why it seems negative at the moment is because… the rebrands aren’t very good?
Exactly! The negativity seems to largely be an unenthusiastic reception to a series of fairly mediocre rebrands. It's hardly like people are being presented with the BBC Two 2s and going 'a bit bland'. Most of the criticism of the various rebrands has been fair, plus in all cases I have seen members who like the change. The only other source of negativity I can think of is the reaction to the BBC News merger, which had a fairly unanimous reaction on and off the forum - I expect even the executives peddling it think is a bad idea on editorial grounds.
Solari

Absolute bullshit - derek500 is allowed to spout his bile about how 'the left' (as if they're all one big monolith anyway) love Beth Rigby who is 'in tune with The Guardian' but when I pull him up on it, that post gets removed. Why is he allowed on there anyway? All he does is make snide jabs at anyone who doesn't share his right-wing politics. Makes a complete mockery of the forum's 'no politics' policy.
Martin Phillp

I believe Derek has access to BARB as well, yet uses the figures to skew them towards what he likes.
TVF's London Lite.
all new Phil

Solari wrote: Fri 09 Dec, 2022 23.16 Absolute bullshit - derek500 is allowed to spout his bile about how 'the left' (as if they're all one big monolith anyway) love Beth Rigby who is 'in tune with The Guardian' but when I pull him up on it, that post gets removed. Why is he allowed on there anyway? All he does is make snide jabs at anyone who doesn't share his right-wing politics. Makes a complete mockery of the forum's 'no politics' policy.
I mean, your response was hardly calm and measured.
Solari

all new Phil wrote: Sat 10 Dec, 2022 10.09
Solari wrote: Fri 09 Dec, 2022 23.16 Absolute bullshit - derek500 is allowed to spout his bile about how 'the left' (as if they're all one big monolith anyway) love Beth Rigby who is 'in tune with The Guardian' but when I pull him up on it, that post gets removed. Why is he allowed on there anyway? All he does is make snide jabs at anyone who doesn't share his right-wing politics. Makes a complete mockery of the forum's 'no politics' policy.
I mean, your response was hardly calm and measured.
Okay, I accept that I may have gone a little overboard. But why is HE allowed to spout his nonsense, then when I pull him up on saying said nonsense, it’s me that gets it in the neck?
Critique

Newsroom’s relentless critique of certain BBC News presenters is tedious, isn’t it? I think mods intervened recently so their latest approach seems to be to continue to slate said-presenter but without mentioning them by name, which I’m not sure anyone is being fooled by…
WillPS

Linear luddites angering up what could be a nice little nostalgia filled thread in the case of CITV's closure. Somewhat tedious.
T0M

The BBC-Lineker fiasco thread is bringing some odd ones out. Terrible takes being had - people jumping to the BBC’s defence either out of foolishness or stubbornness, others being like “THIS ISN’T NEWS!!!” for some bizarre reason, and i’ve also seen people fantasising about Gary joining GMB or being snapped up by …TalkTV?

God help us all.
🍊
DTV

T0M wrote: Fri 10 Mar, 2023 20.25 The BBC-Lineker fiasco thread is bringing some odd ones out. Terrible takes being had - people jumping to the BBC’s defence either out of foolishness or stubbornness, others being like “THIS ISN’T NEWS!!!” for some bizarre reason, and i’ve also seen people fantasising about Gary joining GMB or being snapped up by …TalkTV?

God help us all.
Hey, it's very important that we keep some TVF traditions alive - such as a lack of perspective, a sizeable minority of members having no idea how the industry works and another, sometimes overlapping, minority of members being absolutely nuts.
T0M

The highlight of yesterday evening was a user coming into the Lineker thread like a bull in a china shop and threatening to leave (as if the forum would crumble to pieces without their presence) because of how “uncomfortably political” the thread was… This looked extremely silly because the whole topic was inevitably immersed in politics, and except some of usual insane posts - the thread was genuinely rather civil and the whole complaint was very ironic considering what topic it was all about. Were they expecting the whole thread to be wiped at their command? It’s the most alive the forum has been in… well… ever!

Alas, same guy threatened to stop watching a TV show on the old place because one of the people had the nerve and audacity… to have a Scouse accent. Go figure!
🍊
Philip

I notice that those in the early days of this story who were defending the BBC have now gone very quiet for some reason.