The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

all new Phil

m-in-m wrote: Thu 06 Oct, 2022 06.09
Pete wrote: Sun 02 Oct, 2022 21.26 The Sunday Trading Act would be one of my first things to dispose of when I take over.
How keen would retailers be to extend trading hours? It isn't likely, in the current climate, to result in a significant increase in sales so would just be redistributing sales from elsewhere in the day or the week so unless it can be cost neutral to stores e.g. spreading existing staff more thinly during the day it doesn't necessarily make financial sense to them.
Let’s close at 4.30pm on Saturday as well then?

It does surprise me - unless it’s another part of the law - that at least one of the chains doesn’t go for a 12-8 opening on a Sunday to hoover up those who want to go to a shop on a Sunday evening.
Charlie Wells

Pete wrote: Mon 29 Aug, 2022 20.24
Charlie Wells wrote: Mon 29 Aug, 2022 19.30 Since the handheld scanners had their software updated they've become awfully slow. It's a nightmare if you have more than one of an item, as there's a 5 second-ish delay after scanning an item before you can scan another. It wouldn't be as bad if you could increase a quantity on the handheld, without having to rescan the item.

It would be even better if they had a smartphone app that you could use instead of their old scanners. The Sainsbury's SmartShop app seems to work fairly well. Can always hope the handheld scanner software update it designed to allow this in the near future.
which model does your branch have?
Our Tesco Extra devices are 'symbol' branded, using version 1.9.1 when I looked the other day.
"If ass holes could fly then this place would be an airport."
thegeek

all new Phil wrote: Thu 06 Oct, 2022 14.13 It does surprise me - unless it’s another part of the law - that at least one of the chains doesn’t go for a 12-8 opening on a Sunday to hoover up those who want to go to a shop on a Sunday evening.
Not allowed. You can only do 6 contiguous hours between 10 and 6.
WillPS

all new Phil wrote: Thu 06 Oct, 2022 14.13
m-in-m wrote: Thu 06 Oct, 2022 06.09
Pete wrote: Sun 02 Oct, 2022 21.26 The Sunday Trading Act would be one of my first things to dispose of when I take over.
How keen would retailers be to extend trading hours? It isn't likely, in the current climate, to result in a significant increase in sales so would just be redistributing sales from elsewhere in the day or the week so unless it can be cost neutral to stores e.g. spreading existing staff more thinly during the day it doesn't necessarily make financial sense to them.
Let’s close at 4.30pm on Saturday as well then?

It does surprise me - unless it’s another part of the law - that at least one of the chains doesn’t go for a 12-8 opening on a Sunday to hoover up those who want to go to a shop on a Sunday evening.
It'd be 12-6, and there are shops here and there that do those hours on a Sunday. Tesco Metro on West Street was one at one point.

I agree the legislation is stupid and helps nobody. If retailers don't want to open more hours then they shouldn't have to, but I suspect most would stay open until early evening at least.
m-in-m

I think Braintree has one supermarket doing 10-4, another 11-5 and another 12-6. I think Oxford Street in London is focused at the later end of the day but I might be wrong.
Martin Phillp

My nearest Sainsbury's and the M&S Food Hall are 12-6 on Sunday.

The Sainsbury's used to still have customers walk up to the door after 5pm and be surprised it was shut.
TVF's London Lite.
Blewatter

I think workers should be entitled to have a shorter day on Sunday, but on the flipside, restaurants and bars make a lot of money from it. I think if it were to happen, then workers should be entitled to either more pay on weekends to compensate for extended hours, or should have workers rotate on Sunday
all new Phil

Blewatter wrote: Sun 16 Oct, 2022 21.26
I think workers should be entitled to have a shorter day on Sunday, but on the flipside, restaurants and bars make a lot of money from it. I think if it were to happen, then workers should be entitled to either more pay on weekends to compensate for extended hours, or should have workers rotate on Sunday
When you say about workers being entitled to a shorter day on a Sunday, what you are essentially saying is that people who work the tills in a supermarket have a shorter day. People who work the stock, or work in a convenience store, or work in cinemas, or restaurants, or emergency services don’t get a shorter day. In the grand scheme of things it’s not that big a number of people who benefit from it.
thegeek

In an ideal world everyone would get a shorter day on a Sunday but I think that ship has long sailed. (Now how about those train driver contracts...)
WillPS

Asda Express
thegeek

Tottenham Hale's already got a standalone Asda Living. Curious combo.