Pres Cafe Watch News and Information Board

james2001

BBC2 are showing it as well (BBC News will certainly be showing it as well, BBC Parliament probably too), that's 3 out of 5 of the main terrestrial channels, isn't that enough for anyone? Clearly not... Two Ident/Duncan has been saying "3 out of 5" as if it's a disgrace the other two aren't showing it.

I doubt the queen herself would have wanted the funeral forcing on everyone.
thegeek

I have got as far as signing up for Pres Café, but haven't quite got as far as posting anything. It's not quite a daily visit yet but maybe it'll get there. (I've mostly been too busy with work and life and stuff.)
DTV

The Queen's death certainly instigated a flurry of activity on Pres Cafe - to the extent that almost exactly half of all posts in the News forum and nearly 40% of all posts are Queen related - but I haven't really yet seen much trickle down to the other threads.
Monolithic

A lot of people were moaning about a voice over, which lasted about 20 seconds. They seem to have forgot everything else about the funeral broadcast. Just sad really that is came to that on the day. A mark is left on that forum.
harshy

Yeah the coverage was flawless I didn’t think the announcement was that bad to be honest.
Blewatter

Monolithic wrote: Tue 20 Sep, 2022 17.17 A lot of people were moaning about a voice over, which lasted about 20 seconds. They seem to have forgot everything else about the funeral broadcast. Just sad really that is came to that on the day. A mark is left on that forum.
Some of the comments on that thread, to me, seemed low key racist. Or at least, questionable. 'Its not his voice, its his delivery' seemed like a way, to me, to justify some prejudice. Idk, that's how I interpreted it.
bilky asko

Andrew mentions that a post is "peak 'TV Forum'"... and then says Holly Willoughby will "probably have mental health issues"

https://pres.cafe/showthread.php?tid=14 ... 71#pid3371
Monolithic

Blewatter wrote: Wed 21 Sep, 2022 20.19
Monolithic wrote: Tue 20 Sep, 2022 17.17 A lot of people were moaning about a voice over, which lasted about 20 seconds. They seem to have forgot everything else about the funeral broadcast. Just sad really that is came to that on the day. A mark is left on that forum.
Some of the comments on that thread, to me, seemed low key racist. Or at least, questionable. 'Its not his voice, its his delivery' seemed like a way, to me, to justify some prejudice. Idk, that's how I interpreted it.
It's hard to tell in that regard, but it's clear what they wanted was an upper middle class person to be making the announcements. Now some could argue for the state funeral of a monarch that would be suitable, EXCEPT at least some of these posters are at all other opportunities criticising others for their lack of diversity etc and heavy to come down on those they feel have breeched the modern standards of what is acceptable in terms of diversity. So you cannot have both. I am glad to have followed my gut with this Pres TV, many of the people on their are just in glass houses. Say what you want about Talk TV, but at least it has a bit more of a chilled atmosphere, yes you get the odd student posting nonsense but on the whole, I do a lot of lurking and a far nicer place. Clearly nothing has been learned from the demise of the last two places.

The funeral production was just about of the highest quality. It will be watched for decades or even centuries, in 50 years when people hear the announcer, he will be alien in historic terms, as the announcers we hear from the 60s are today. The views expressed on a forum will be long forgotten.
Pete

which voiceover was this? i can't bring myself to read the entire thread
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Monolithic

I believe it was this one which set them off:

https://tvhome.co.uk/bbc-one/2022/09/18/1900

Followed by this one on the actual day:

https://tvhome.co.uk/bbc-one/2022/09/19/1705

(I just edited I mixed up)
all new Phil

I don’t think some posters realise just how offensive it is to say that only those with a specific accent or intonation are capable of making a serious continuity announcement.