TV Live Forum Watch News and Information Board

Pete

Aye mind when tv ark disappeared for ages bc they tried to build their own bafflingly complex video player?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

Pete wrote: Sat 30 Jul, 2022 20.11 Aye mind when tv ark disappeared for ages bc they tried to build their own bafflingly complex video player?
Exactly like that.
Ben

WillPS wrote:
It basically seems to come down to making sure they get all the plaudits, which is somewhat reminiscent of fighting over who gets the commendation at primary school.

Surely all that should matter is that you've enabled x many people to see something they're interested in, right?
Not as if they own the original content in the first place...
bilky asko

Ben wrote: Sun 31 Jul, 2022 02.10
WillPS wrote:
It basically seems to come down to making sure they get all the plaudits, which is somewhat reminiscent of fighting over who gets the commendation at primary school.

Surely all that should matter is that you've enabled x many people to see something they're interested in, right?
Not as if they own the original content in the first place...
Which, in the case of content from a presentation website, is never the case.
Andrew

Pete wrote: Sat 30 Jul, 2022 13.47
james2001 wrote: Sat 30 Jul, 2022 13.40 The TV Talk people are trying too hard, I didn't particularly appreciate the PM spamming, especially as they've been promoting themselves all over the forum anyway.
I barely recognise the people running it.

Although we do have names. Unlike pres cafe which is just looking out of the darkness like some sort of secret society
I would agree

TV Talk Forum has names but they are people I’ve never heard of who were not very prominent on TVLF

Pres Cafe has no named individuals, surely they can at least just use their first names, so if you know you know. It just doesn’t seem like a natural successor to me

Neither seems to be perfect - I can see Tv Talk being overrun with kids posting rotas, whereas I could imagine Pres Cafe clamping down on anything but pure pres.
barcode

I still don't get the over whelming disapproval off this place, yes there claws were out years ago but even then as they say "Truth hurts"
This place never stopped anyone given them a "right to reply" Pete just a few weeks ago put his foot down over certain points.
Philip wrote: Sat 30 Jul, 2022 19.08 Not a huge fan of the "TV Pres" group personally after they ostracised Rob and his site for not self-hosting videos.
Playing Devils Advocate: Did they? what about Ashley at this is five? or Edmund at presentation archive never saw anyone complain these two not being included?

Look at it another way. Why didn't Rob allow anyone else's in to help run his forum? A but why it was his effect why should he.
Andrew wrote: Sun 31 Jul, 2022 09.31 I would agree

TV Talk Forum has names but they are people I’ve never heard of who were not very prominent on TVLF

Pres Cafe has no named individuals, surely they can at least just use their first names, so if you know you know. It just doesn’t seem like a natural successor to me
Having a forum with a centralised figure clearly hasn't worked, or Rob would have been able to carry on happily for the next 20 odd years.
Blewatter wrote: Sat 30 Jul, 2022 18.34 It is interesting to see this mini 'Wild West' era for TV pres related forums come about. I've signed up for both TV Talk Forum and Prescafe, and will ultimately stay active on the one which catches on and has more interesting discussion. Its also interesting to note that the hole left by TVLF has left a vacuum for these new forums to pop up and vy for users. I certainly didn't see this in the case of TVF.
Did that not speak volumes for Rob? no one seriously wanted to enter the ring, there was nothing stopping people last time doing the exact same thing but rob clearly offered a product most people were happy with.
Neither seems to be perfect - I can see Tv Talk being overrun with kids posting rotas, whereas I could imagine Pres Cafe clamping down on anything but pure pres.
Maybe having a one size fits all forum in 2022 isn't the right way to do it anymore? this isn't 1999.. It's weird how in the world of TV pres ( there me mangling that word again) we make everyone go to this one place yet people were never happy about all the content being discussed, So they would complain about certain aspect of certain threads, some of the disagreements started to bubble..

Everyone has different talk on what we should be talking about and maybe it's time for world of Televisions Presentation to enter the world deregulation...

* Talk TV: Having a more general feel to television and having a more lighter touch in the world of presentation.
* Pres Cafe: Dealing more with heavy side of actually pres and more finer points etc which some people don't like, some people do.
Maybe someone will create:
* Creepy News watch: your one stop shop to talk about who's reading the news today..

I think the first two could happily live side by side. think of it like Springfield and Shelbyville
Charlie Wells

My initial thoughts of Pres.Cafe after logging in for the first time since yesterday is that it feels to clinical. In the forums 'admin' has created a batch of threads, where users are supposed to post their corresponding comments in. This feels overly controlling and makes a forum devoid of personality, that occurs when different users create threads as and when required. Still, it's their forum, and if they want to run it like that they can.

Looking at the alternatives tvtalkforum.co.uk seems like a more warmer alternative with potential. It probably requires the same MyBB tweaks Rob made to improve the mobile view layout though, as currently last post info isn't visible. At least the topics aren't all already set up by admin for us to post in.
"If ass holes could fly then this place would be an airport."
rob

I personally feel that Pres Cafe is going to be a good alternative for those who just want to talk about presentation, without all the faff of the Gallery and Requests section (which if I'm being honest, I didn't really want to bring over from TVF, but did so for continuity purposes). I never added a radio section out of respect for this place, so it will be interesting to see how that fares.

If people want things like the Gallery or Requests forum, then TV Talk Forum should be perfect for them.

Again, all the sites setting up in the wake of TVLF closing have my full support, and I wish them well (apart from this one).
Weekdays from 7am-10am on Andover Radio
Overton Radio: Weekdays 2pm-4pm, Weekends 8am-11am