The Unofficial Sainsbury's Thread

WillPS

Martin Phillp wrote: Sat 02 Jul, 2022 02.54 For those of us who use the Click and Collect tablets in smaller Sainsbury's stores and locals, the one in my supermarket keeps packing up, so I ended up queuing at the kiosk to ask for my Argos order to be told to go back to click and collect and wait for the staff member who deals with them to come and scan my barcode on the email.

I'm guessing my local store keeps getting the same tablet repaired and then of course it's still faulty, so it keeps playing up which leaves a huddle of customers waiting for packages.
I really loathe these 'press buttons on a kiosk then float about doing nothing for an indeterminate amount of time hoping someone shows up' set ups. Actually puts me off using George's one.

At least provide a pissing bench and a screen showing your order number processing.
thegeek

The click and collect at our Asda is like a giant vending machine - my parcel appeared in seconds.
WillPS

thegeek wrote: Tue 12 Jul, 2022 20.34 The click and collect at our Asda is like a giant vending machine - my parcel appeared in seconds.
Oh that's interesting. The ones I've been to have had a dump bin for returns but that's it. I've often thought why don't they go for a bank of lockers instead.
thegeek

I'll see if I can get a video next time I'm there - it's definitely an improvement from the previous solution, which was a touchscreen in the wind lobby.
toenails

I have always wondered, in the days when Sainsbury's stores were branded "J Sainsbury", did people used to say "I am just popping off to J Sainsbury" or did they still say "I am just popping off to Sainsbury's"?
thegeek

thegeek wrote: Wed 13 Jul, 2022 06.48 I'll see if I can get a video next time I'm there - it's definitely an improvement from the previous solution, which was a touchscreen in the wind lobby.
I was back in today - didn't have anything to collect, but did see a manufacturer's name on it: it appears to be a Cleveron 401

Martin Phillp

toenails wrote: Thu 14 Jul, 2022 18.08 I have always wondered, in the days when Sainsbury's stores were branded "J Sainsbury", did people used to say "I am just popping off to J Sainsbury" or did they still say "I am just popping off to Sainsbury's"?
Always been Sainsbury's for me and I was alive when they were branded J Sainsbury.
TVF's London Lite.
Beep

toenails wrote: Thu 14 Jul, 2022 18.08 I have always wondered, in the days when Sainsbury's stores were branded "J Sainsbury", did people used to say "I am just popping off to J Sainsbury" or did they still say "I am just popping off to Sainsbury's"?
My nan would and did for a long time but it seemed to vary based on the company nearby, family was always 'Sainsbury's', neighbours and such 'J Sainsbury'.

I'm sure they changed it to Sainsbury's because everyone colloquially called it that. J S lives on with anything own brand of course, on the receipts and POS systems.

The other day I ended up going down a rabbit hole on their heritage/history website and saw a new store photo from 1995 where the external signage said 'J SAINSBURY' and above the door it said 'Welcome to Sainsbury's *Location*' - the Sainsbury's part being in orange and the rest in blue, in a different typeface to the standard one used at the time - a soft launch perhaps?

EDIT: It just dawned on me that my local Sainsbury's Local store was the first of its kind, opening in 1998. Lots of pictures of the original fit out (and pre fit out) - but more interestingly is the fact the general layout hasn't changed, though the bakery/coffee shop servery is long gone replaced by a meal deal fridge section.
Martin Phillp

The J Sainsbury signage at my local store survived until the mid noughties until it underwent a major refurbishment.
TVF's London Lite.
WillPS

Martin Phillp wrote: Fri 15 Jul, 2022 14.13 The J Sainsbury signage at my local store survived until the mid noughties until it underwent a major refurbishment.
Redditch and Ashbourne had orange JS logos until the mid-00s. There was a high street branch with the older yellow signage even longer, might have been Gloucester. The parent company was still J Sainsbury plc. until the Argos takeover completed too.

Martin Phillp

Lloyds Pharmacy are going to pull out of operating in-store pharmacies at Sainsbury's.

https://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk/CD ... =200702073
TVF's London Lite.