The slap that shook the world

Philip

Look I can't be the only person who generally has zero interest in showbiz chatter but is absolutely fascinated by this severe lapse in judgement from a celebrity who has carefully cultivated his nice guy image over several decades?

I think Chris Rock should be applauded for defusing the situation and continuing to introduce the next award while his physical and verbal assaulter is sitting directly in front of him in the front row.

WillPS

Literally no fucks given about the whole situation tbh. 'Meanwhile in celebrityville' news has never really appealed to me.
cwathen

WillPS wrote: Sat 02 Apr, 2022 13.21 Literally no fucks given about the whole situation tbh. 'Meanwhile in celebrityville' news has never really appealed to me.
Ditto. Celebrity stories dressed up as news have never really interested me. Whilst understandable on a slow news day, surely right now we have more than enough actual newsworthy events going on?
all new Phil

Yet here you both are commenting on it?

Agree it was pretty shocking. I thought it was a joke up to the point Will Smith had sat back down and was shouting. Chris Rock is a comedian and he said a joke, my opinion of him is no more or no less than it was before, but I feel Smith has shown himself to be a bit of a nasty piece of work.
Dr Lobster*

my take on it is that he must done a couple of lines of something pretty spicy in the toilet before the show.

he looked possessed when he was ranting.

the whole thing, and a lot of the drivel written about it amused me really.
cwathen

all new Phil wrote: Sat 02 Apr, 2022 22.40 Yet here you both are commenting on it?
Fair point. I will admit to still having watched the clip. One thing I did find odd is that on something so tightly and carefully planned and choreographed, how was Smith able to essentially invade the stage without any security intervening before (and especially after) the attack? What were they doing?

Smith's mood changes were also odd. The last shot of him shown before he walked up to the stage showed him laughing. Then he almost looked like he had a smirk on his face as he walked away after the attack, before appearing seething with rage when shouting from his seat. So he went from happy to so angry that he decided to hit someone but then after the hit continued to become even more angry? Something isn't quite right about the whole thing.
TG

It strikes me he found the "joke" perfectly funny until he looked at his wife and realised he'd cocked up by reacting that way. But the 180 that made him do, only made him look even worse in my eyes. The thing would have been for him to apologise to his wife then, not to go all Jekyll and Hyde on Rock.

It wasn't even the slap that I objected to. More the laughter til he actually used his damn brain and looked at his missus.
WillPS

all new Phil wrote: Sat 02 Apr, 2022 22.40 Yet here you both are commenting on it?
I don't come here for celeb news tho. If I was asked by a colleague or a mate in the pub that would have been my response.

I don't see the fact I gave a response as being proof that I actually do care at all.
danielkreger

I don't care much for celebrity stories in the news. It also seems to be exaggerated by the comments of the person who posted that story.
Including this :)