Public Transport in your particular part of the region

Beep

Jonwo wrote: Mon 14 Mar, 2022 21.04I am surprised none of the other UK cities have adopted the TfL approach but maybe it's on a case by case basis.
https://www.tfwm.org.uk/

An interesting arrangement, they're part of the WMCA, but have bus franchising powers, as well as control over some rail routes and trams. They also seem to have involvement over motorway improvents (something TfL can't do, hence the A40(M) becoming the A40 in 2000 and losing it's national speed limit).

The bus franchising has started to spread to a livery with a small operator ID on that livery seen here:
The Metro version is blue and grey, the rail version is purple and orange. I saw it in the wild for the first time this week when I had a work meeting there, but apparently it has been around for a few years now.

https://corporate.tfwm.org.uk/news/a-br ... -identity/ - this article confuses me though, are they TfWM or WMT?
Jonwo

It is weird that I'm excited that the Elizabeth Line is close to opening? The videos I've seen look incredible.
Beep

Jonwo wrote: Thu 24 Mar, 2022 16.59 It is weird that I'm excited that the Elizabeth Line is close to opening? The videos I've seen look incredible.
The current rumour is the Jubilee weekend, or the Monday after. Another rumour is of a night service akin to Night Tube through the Central sector.

One of the best things about my work is I was able to get on some of the trial runs through the tunnels and visit a few of the new deep level stations, they're very nice inside but I wonder how well they'll be maintained. The JLE stations spring to mind, they've never been properly cleaned since they opened in 1999. The PEDs for instance are filthy.

EDIT: In fact it seems to be the case that certain stations that are seen as flagship when they open aren't maintained, St Pancras is another example. Parts of it haven't been refurbished or cleaned since it re-opened in 2007, whereas King's Cross (which opened in 2012/2013 in a phased approach) was deep cleaned every other year and has the floors deep cleaned every week. You'd think spending £800m on a station you'd want to keep it in tip-top condition, but HS1 don't seem to want to spend the money.

JLE as mentioned above

London Overground seem to have stopped spending money refurbishing their inherited stations from WAGN/Silverlink - some still have their 'Temporary Signs' from 2007, though most have now received their roundels.
Jonwo

I think June 6th is more likely than the Jubilee weekend only because it's risky opening a new service on a bank holiday weekend. The NLE had a Monday launch as well.
thegeek

Beep wrote: Fri 25 Mar, 2022 00.44 The JLE stations spring to mind, they've never been properly cleaned since they opened in 1999. The PEDs for instance are filthy.

I think I read somewhere that they didn't really factor ease of maintenance into the design for the JLE stations - with the big voids in Westminster's escalator shaft being particularly hard to reach. I think that's been a learning point for the new stations. Doing the PEDs seems like an easy win though, but I guess if it's not safety critical might not be on the budget these days.

As for the opening of the Lizzie Line, I guess it depends on whether they'll open as soon as it's ready, or if they want to wait until they can get an official opening from Her Maj. Which adds an additional logistical compilation, given how few public appearances she's making.
dosxuk

There's lots of rumours going around about a mid-May launch for the Elizabeth Line, based on notified changes to bus routes, which form part of the changed services to feed into the line.
Jonwo

dosxuk wrote: Fri 25 Mar, 2022 12.45 There's lots of rumours going around about a mid-May launch for the Elizabeth Line, based on notified changes to bus routes, which form part of the changed services to feed into the line.
The date was finally confirmed today. Tuesday 24th May,

Speaking of TfL, when is the Bank branch and also South Ken Piccadilly Line meant to be reopening?
bilky asko

Jonwo wrote: Wed 04 May, 2022 12.52South Ken Piccadilly Line
I didn't realise Ken Livingstone had a line named after him as well
Martin Phillp

The 'new' part of the Elizabeth line will only be open from 6.30am-11pm Monday to Saturday initially with the two existing TfL Rail lines also rebranding on that date, but will still terminate at Paddington or Liverpool Street mainline stations.

It'll operate on the Sunday of the Jubilee break in June.
TVF's London Lite.
Jonwo

Anyone planning to ride the Elizabeth Line within the next few days? I'm planning to go on Friday,
thegeek

I took a bit of a detour and had a quick go before work. The class 345s aren't anything new to me, as I've been occasionally jumping on TfL Rail from Stratford - what's notable is how smooth the ride is through the central tunnels. The stations are lovely and spacious and curvy, and I'll probably be heading back on a day off soon to appreciate the architecture.

The train I got at about 10ish was pretty busy. I'd say a fairly even split between enthusiasts; normies just having a nosey; and actual people using it for actual journeys - quite a few with luggage.