Windows 9 is now Windows 10

dosxuk

cdd wrote: Tue 08 Mar, 2022 14.15 Relatedly, the mystery of that Windows XP OOBE (title.wma) theme came from - which I must have Googled every year since 2001 - was solved a couple of years ago, with this upload.

It wasn't written for Windows XP at all, and rather was just a track they had lying around since Windows 98.
I feel old now, as I remember this music pre-dating even Windows 98, arriving with an early release of Internet Explorer.
Beep

cdd wrote: Tue 08 Mar, 2022 14.15 Relatedly, the mystery of that Windows XP OOBE (title.wma) theme came from - which I must have Googled every year since 2001 - was solved a couple of years ago, with this upload.

It wasn't written for Windows XP at all, and rather was just a track they had lying around since Windows 98.
There is a video about this track and it's origins on YouTube - the composer died recently.

The more interesting one is the 'Welcome to Windows 98' music, which apparently was part of a longer track which has never seen the light of day.
cwathen

In Microsoft's never ending quest to push the twin dead ducks of Bing and Edge, they are now rolling out an update which puts a floating Bing-powered Edge search bar on the desktop.

To think the shit they got in the 90's just for bundling a web browser and a media player.
Nick Harvey
God

cwathen wrote: Fri 28 Apr, 2023 10.44 In Microsoft's never ending quest to push the twin dead ducks of Bing and Edge, they are now rolling out an update which puts a floating Bing-powered Edge search bar on the desktop.
And how the heck do you switch it off?

I've tried Googling but all I get is ways of switching other things on and off.

I've also hunted through the Edge settings but, again, can't find anything.

Any help gratefully received.
AxG

Nick Harvey wrote: Fri 28 Apr, 2023 14.57
cwathen wrote: Fri 28 Apr, 2023 10.44 In Microsoft's never ending quest to push the twin dead ducks of Bing and Edge, they are now rolling out an update which puts a floating Bing-powered Edge search bar on the desktop.

Try this page: edge://settings/sidebar/appSettings?hubApp=2354565a-f412-4654-b89c-f92eaa9dbd20

On a related note they added a small Bing logo in the SwiftKey keyboard for phone where autocorrect and suggestive words would appear, which I'll never use, the only reason I have the keyboard is for the handy number row.
Jacket

This thing, you mean?

Obviously, make sure "auto launch" isn't checked or it'll just come back.

(Sorry for strobey pic - my print screen button is kaput.)
bilky asko

Jacket wrote: Fri 28 Apr, 2023 16.18

This thing, you mean?

Obviously, make sure "auto launch" isn't checked or it'll just come back.

(Sorry for strobey pic - my print screen button is kaput.)
If your Print Screen key is broken, try Windows Key + Shift + S for the snipping tool instead.
Philip

Nice to see this 9 year old thread still going strong.

My girlfriend recently got a 2 in 1 convertible, using it in the touchscreen mode made me realise what they were trying to do with Windows 8, they just screwed it by making that interface the default for mouse+keyboard users too.
Nick Harvey
God

Just to be clear, I HAVEN'T got Auto Launch Search Bar ticked but it comes back every time I load Edge.

I know how to close the damn thing, I just want to get rid of it FOR EVER.
Pete

AxG wrote: Fri 28 Apr, 2023 15.40 Try this page: edge://settings/sidebar/appSettings?hubApp=2354565a-f412-4654-b89c-f92eaa9dbd20
Thank you!

The silly thing is, I use Chrome for work me, and Edge for home me. I was considering swapping over given edge's excellent tie ins with Azure AD removing so many login prompts from my day, but that bing button put me off.

Between that and their petulant response to the CMA ruling I feel the bad microsoft is making a return.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

cwathen wrote: Fri 28 Apr, 2023 10.44the twin dead ducks of Bing
https://www.statista.com/statistics/265 ... -searches/
cwathen wrote: Fri 28 Apr, 2023 10.44and Edge
https://gs.statcounter.com/browser-mark ... /worldwide

Only dead ducks if you define "dead duck" as "not market leader".

I like both, FWIW. I use a Mac/Google/Firefox Developer Edition for work and Windows/Bing/Edge for home stuff.