The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

gottago

thegeek wrote: Wed 09 Mar, 2022 11.56 I get that the point of a loyalty scheme is to encourage repeat custom, but having not been to Waitrose recently, it's a bit of a swizz to remember to look at the app on my way to the shop and find that I've got no vouchers because they don't have enough of a shopping history for me.
I actually think you need to select the vouchers on the website and then they will appear in your app as 'selected vouchers' so worth having a look at that. The newspapers automatically appear for me though. It's a terrible user experience but Waitrose's online presence has always been fucking awful. Still plenty of pages on there with the old Waitrose logo on.
thegeek

I'm pretty sure there were none there earlier (it said something like "we give you new vouchers every Wednesday"), but I've just checked now and there are four - all for things I'd probably buy. But I can only choose two, giving me a maximum saving of £1.50.

It feels a bit like the hassle-reward ratio is skewed in favour of me not bothering my arse.
scottishtv

You'll probably be aware that Asda's Smart Price range got some publicity lately as it was fully restored to stores following a reversal of an earlier decision to withdraw some of the range (and increase prices of some products).

Wandering round a non-Asda shop earlier, I did wonder whether any of the other supermarkets might be tempted to become more explicit in their Value/Basics range branding again, especially as we seem to be heading towards household budget doom. Or has that ship sailed, and we're now stuck firmly in the Aldi-lookalike era for the cheapest own-brand stuff (presumably to make mid-range shoppers feel more comfortable about trading down)?
bilky asko

scottishtv wrote: Wed 09 Mar, 2022 22.52 You'll probably be aware that Asda's Smart Price range got some publicity lately as it was fully restored to stores following a reversal of an earlier decision to withdraw some of the range (and increase prices of some products).

Wandering round a non-Asda shop earlier, I did wonder whether any of the other supermarkets might be tempted to become more explicit in their Value/Basics range branding again, especially as we seem to be heading towards household budget doom. Or has that ship sailed, and we're now stuck firmly in the Aldi-lookalike era for the cheapest own-brand stuff (presumably to make mid-range shoppers feel more comfortable about trading down)?
Morrisons is a bit different in this regard I suppose - if it's not Savers branded, it's a brand that's named after one of their sites or a company they've bought out (and the packaging is otherwise identical).
scottishtv

bilky asko wrote: Wed 09 Mar, 2022 23.28Morrisons is a bit different in this regard I suppose - if it's not Savers branded, it's a brand that's named after one of their sites or a company they've bought out (and the packaging is otherwise identical).
Ah, yes. I don't live that close to a Morrisons so forgot about them and the Saver range. I guess it's only Tesco/Sainbury's then and given they seem so focused on matching Aldi at the moment, I guess the return of Value or Basics may be unlikely.

Interestingly, searching for Value on tesco.com or Basics on sainsburys.co.uk largely returns the own-brand products that have replaced them (with a few other brands caught in the search results). They do look more appealing compared the packaging of old.
AxG

The Tesco Everyday Value brand still lives on despite the renaming some years ago, although only one product; if ever you need any nappy bags, you're in-luck, despite the website saying 'currently unavailable'.
all new Phil

I’ve noticed a lot more Savers products in Morrisons lately. The quality is pretty decent, stuff like marmalade, sweet pickle etc are perfectly serviceable and a decent chunk of money less than the higher tiers.
WillPS

AxG wrote: Thu 10 Mar, 2022 21.29 The Tesco Everyday Value brand still lives on despite the renaming some years ago, although only one product; if ever you need any nappy bags, you're in-luck, despite the website saying 'currently unavailable'.
Think that carries the standard 'health basics' type label in real life.
Charlie Wells

With reports today of an increase in people filling up with petrol and not paying for it I wonder how long it'll be before more supermarket pumps become 'pay at pump' only. At my nearest Tesco Extra 4 of the 12 pumps are already 'pay at pump' only during the daytime, with all switching to this at night-time. If it wasn't for corporate fuel cards and Apple/Google pay via mobiles I could easily imagine supermarkets making more pumps to be 'pay at pump' only.
"If ass holes could fly then this place would be an airport."
WillPS

Charlie Wells wrote: Mon 14 Mar, 2022 09.17 With reports today of an increase in people filling up with petrol and not paying for it I wonder how long it'll be before more supermarket pumps become 'pay at pump' only. At my nearest Tesco Extra 4 of the 12 pumps are already 'pay at pump' only during the daytime, with all switching to this at night-time. If it wasn't for corporate fuel cards and Apple/Google pay via mobiles I could easily imagine supermarkets making more pumps to be 'pay at pump' only.
Don't all of them have that ANPR stuff which will automatically alert the police when you don't pay?
james2001

That relies on them having genuine plates, of course.