Coronavirus - Strange times

cwathen

all new Phil wrote: Fri 21 Jan, 2022 00.28 I’m interested - do we think the easing / abolition of COVID restrictions are…
a) spot on
b) reckless
c) somewhere in between?
Tbh, none of them. It's absolutely the right action but its being taken for the wrong reasons which weaken the argument to do it and the action should have been taken long before now.

it weren't for the current state of politics the UK would now be in Lockdown IV, not on the verge of normality. On that basis the government don't deserve the implication of competence which would come with endorsing option A.

In the Metropol world, at least this thread should calm down now though.
WillPS

cwathen wrote: Fri 21 Jan, 2022 10.29
all new Phil wrote: Fri 21 Jan, 2022 00.28 I’m interested - do we think the easing / abolition of COVID restrictions are…
a) spot on
b) reckless
c) somewhere in between?
Tbh, none of them. It's absolutely the right action but its being taken for the wrong reasons which weaken the argument to do it and the action should have been taken long before now.

it weren't for the current state of politics the UK would now be in Lockdown IV, not on the verge of normality. On that basis the government don't deserve the implication of competence which would come with endorsing option A.

In the Metropol world, at least this thread should calm down now though.
My thoughts exactly.
cdd

Neil wrote: Thu 20 Jan, 2022 19.33It's a bit like the 'hygiene theatre' of being asked to clean your trolley handle on the way into a store.
Mexico has some of the sillier ones. Many shops have decontamination mats (foot-and-mouth throwback…) and one airport lounge had someone with a spray gun covering everyone and their clothes with disinfectant. This was this month!
cwathen

Neil wrote: Thu 20 Jan, 2022 19.33 It's a bit like the 'hygiene theatre' of being asked to clean your trolley handle on the way into a store.
I always thought that was rather odd. Businesses everywhere were explaining how they had improved their hygiene standards with extra cleaning - not a bad thing to do for all sorts of reasons. Yet that generally meant the staff in them were cleaning things. Wetherspoons even went as far as to create new jobs to facilitate this enhanced cleaning regime.

But for some reason shopping trolley handle hygiene is such an intimately delicate matter that it was felt necessary to invite you to clean it yourself rather than merely accept an assurance that it had been cleaned.
Solari

cwathen wrote: Sat 22 Jan, 2022 13.15
Neil wrote: Thu 20 Jan, 2022 19.33 It's a bit like the 'hygiene theatre' of being asked to clean your trolley handle on the way into a store.
But for some reason shopping trolley handle hygiene is such an intimately delicate matter that it was felt necessary to invite you to clean it yourself rather than merely accept an assurance that it had been cleaned.
I suspect that that is psychological more than anything else. If you have cleaned your own trolley handle, you 'know' it is 'clean', as opposed to just being told that it has been cleaned.
WillPS

So long as it isn't sticky or visibly disgusting, I really don't care how disinfected my trolley handle is.
james2001

Just been arguing with a "friend" who insists "covid is the most deadly and dangerous virus to have ever evolved"... Won't accept anything else, even when I give examples of numerous viruses that are a lot worse (HIV, ebola, rabies, polio etc), even many viruse we've been living with all our lives are more dangerous. This is the hysteria some people have been whipped up into by the media and questionable scientists like Eric Ding. It's certainly not certainly the first time I've seen someone claim this by a long shot.
Charlie Wells

james2001 wrote: Wed 09 Feb, 2022 14.28 Just been arguing with a "friend" who insists "covid is the most deadly and dangerous virus to have ever evolved"... Won't accept anything else, even when I give examples of numerous viruses that are a lot worse (HIV, ebola, rabies, polio etc), even many viruse we've been living with all our lives are more dangerous. This is the hysteria some people have been whipped up into by the media and questionable scientists like Eric Ding. It's certainly not certainly the first time I've seen someone claim this by a long shot.
I know of a few people who are still in my opinion stuck in 'lockdown mentality', despite them being fully vaccinated + booster and the virus mutating into a form that's generally less severe. Equally I know of some who've been at almost the other extreme since almost the beginning.

I think now that nearly two thirds of over 12s have had their third jab / booster it's right that rules are being relaxed, especially as the dominant strain is generally less severe. The timing of the relaxations are slightly more questionable though, as they almost certainly have more to do with Boris trying to save himself / the party, rather than being purely science based.

From observation last weekend there were fewer people wearing masks in the supermarkets last weekend than the previous weekend. I'm guessing on TFL wearing of masks will have reverted back to previously, where less than a third were wearing them despite TFL rules.
"If ass holes could fly then this place would be an airport."
bilky asko

james2001 wrote: Wed 09 Feb, 2022 14.28 Just been arguing with a "friend" who insists "covid is the most deadly and dangerous virus to have ever evolved"... Won't accept anything else, even when I give examples of numerous viruses that are a lot worse (HIV, ebola, rabies, polio etc), even many viruse we've been living with all our lives are more dangerous. This is the hysteria some people have been whipped up into by the media and questionable scientists like Eric Ding. It's certainly not certainly the first time I've seen someone claim this by a long shot.
You need some new friends.
Charlie Wells

As well as the 'living with Covid' announcements from England & Scotland I noticed this announcement on https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/.
From the week of 21 February 2022, the UK Health Security Agency will stop publishing dashboard updates at weekends.
I think one or more of the nations was already not providing updates on Sundays at least. Presumably this is the first step towards ending the daily updates, by no longer updating at the weekend.
"If ass holes could fly then this place would be an airport."
Jonwo

Honestly phasing out daily data updates was long overdue and I think as I've said before perhaps it'll help wean people off looking for any Covid related data.