Teeth

JoshX

Don't get me started on Purely White Deluxe. One of the many apps on my phone is Snapchat. All you see on Snapchat's Explore page is so-called influencers advertising that product every hour of every day. It always comes about because someone 'asks' them how their teeth are so white, and they post the link (without the #ad, may I add) saying "oh I love this product it's very good!!!". Dear me.
Alan de Robson

Anyone else think the dentistry is the ultimate hustle?

Dentists say that you should get your teeth checked every 6 months but you should only get cancer tests every few years. Strikes me that they're trying to secure themselves some recurring income.

I went to the dentist for the first time last year since 1987. I am scared of dentists although I am now less so following a pretty horrible medical procedure I underwent in 2020.

He was a charming bloke who said that I should take this as an opportunity to overcome my fears and book myself in for a sesh every six months. I politely declined.
WillPS

Alan de Robson wrote: Sun 30 Jan, 2022 16.10 Anyone else think the dentistry is the ultimate hustle?

Dentists say that you should get your teeth checked every 6 months but you should only get cancer tests every few years. Strikes me that they're trying to secure themselves some recurring income.

I went to the dentist for the first time last year since 1987. I am scared of dentists although I am now less so following a pretty horrible medical procedure I underwent in 2020.

He was a charming bloke who said that I should take this as an opportunity to overcome my fears and book myself in for a sesh every six months. I politely declined.
With you entirely. What's the worst case as well? Similar to the best case but a decade or two sooner.

That said if this dental plan my new employer has promised me turns up I should probably make use of it.
Ebeneezer Scrooge

Also with you on that Alan...
Being an NHS patient(?) in a bupa practise, I've been shuffled around from dentist to dentist in the past. One thing I noticed is each dentist has their particular agenda - one told me how I needed to stop drinking coffee and brush a lot more if I didn't want my teeth to look manky. The next didn't mention that at all, but constantly told me I had gum disease...
The next (current dentist) didn't mention either thing, but as he's a cosmetic dentist, always asks if I want the 1mm gap between two of my teeth closing up. Other than that, he's pretty laid back, which is nice - still wants me to get 6 monthly appointments though.

That said, the current one is also the best... I've gone from being terrified of being at the dentist (mostly out of bad experiences when getting fillings, but also because being RIGHT IN MY MOUTH is far to intimate for my liking) to being almost fairly comfortable. He's even able to give injections where they really do feel like a little scratch - at worst!

From all of the tales of woe from previous dentists, I was genuinely expecting my first appointment post-covid to be a horror show when I went back in January. If we need appointments every 6 months, surely 2 years of no appointments will equate to all of my teeth falling out, right?
No - just a filling being replaced (which was on the cards 2 years ago too) and then packed off on my way!
Snarky
JAS84

Alan de Robson wrote: Sun 30 Jan, 2022 16.10 Anyone else think the dentistry is the ultimate hustle?

And what about dentists who fob you off so they don't have to do NHS treatments at fixed rates? Private treatment is much more lucrative for them, right?
Alan de Robson

JAS84 wrote: Wed 09 Feb, 2022 01.08

And what about dentists who fob you off so they don't have to do NHS treatments at fixed rates? Private treatment is much more lucrative for them, right?
TBH, JAS84, having been to the dentist once in 33/34 years, I don't really have enough experience of dentists to understand the point you're making (my bad, not yours).

If you're saying what I think you're saying, it wouldn't surprise me at all.
all new Phil

I’ve been once in my 37 years. My teeth are fine. Wouldn’t mind a bit of whitening but that’s about it.