Unexpectedly leaving a sour taste in one's mouth

Dr Lobster*

Above are two 'soft' ibuprofen capsules, branded as 'BellsHealthcare'. I got these a just before christmas whilst I was feeling unwell in a bit of a fog from my covid booster jab and because everybody is either ill or has hangovers this time of year, the normal chalky ones were all gone.

Something in my brain, somehow, mixed up 'soft' with chewable.

So I've just bitten into one, honestly, the liquid which came out of them is the most vile, indescribable taste I have ever experienced, it's what you might imagine acid to taste like or something, so much so I'm still catching my breath from it.

You ever put anything in your mouth with an unexpectedly bad taste?
Nick Harvey
God

Dr Lobster* wrote: Fri 31 Dec, 2021 13.26 You ever put anything in your mouth with an unexpectedly bad taste?
I don't think I want to answer that in public!
cdd

I can’t swallow pills(…) and cavalierly bite into any pill. I had been ticking along fine for years until I chomped into one of those. Never again. I was nearly sick and my mouth felt like it was on fire. In fact it was years ago and I still remember the taste vividly.
Jonwo

I prefer the tablets you want swallow rather than the ones that dissolve.
Sput

Goat’s Cheese

It was like someone had farted directly into my mouth
Knight knight
Pete

Goats Cheese is awful.

And yes trying to swallow pills without water as they start dissolving on the tongue is awful and makes them harder to swallow trapping you in a vicious cycle.

Years ago a member of my family used to take these pills for epilepsy (not any longer as they got a new GP who did an audit and said those pills were prehistoric). I remember them being a translucent brown on one side and a cream on the other with tiny balls inside. I was curious one day (aged about 7) and snapped one open and the smell from inside was the most horrendous thing ever.

On the other end of the spectrum, I used to love eating Vicks as a child.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
all new Phil

Another vote for goats cheese. Makes me wretch.

It’s funny how your taste buds change over time though. I used to think olives were disgusting, but I love them now.
thegeek

You're all wrong about goat's cheese. The stinkier the better.
TG

cdd wrote: Fri 31 Dec, 2021 14.48 I can’t swallow pills(…) and cavalierly bite into any pill. I had been ticking along fine for years until I chomped into one of those. Never again. I was nearly sick and my mouth felt like it was on fire. In fact it was years ago and I still remember the taste vividly.
Every time I get prescribed prednisolone steroid tablets for asthma flareups, I get this awful reminder.

They're tiny, insignificant looking things, but prescribed for me, 8-10 at a time, twice a day for however long. I literally have to take them with neat Ribena cordial to try and kill the bitter taste to swallow them down.

As for goat's cheese, only ever tried a mild soft M&S one. Mixed with a white wine risotto, worked quite well...
cheese2286

Pickled walnuts. Not what I was expecting at all. Blerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrugh.
Alexia

An olive, thinking it was a grape.

Never again.