Coronavirus - Strange times

Jonwo

All my jabs were Pfizer, I admit I was a bit disappointed to get Pfizer as a booster but the place I had my jab only did Pfizer during the week and Moderna at weekends.

Speaking of vaccines, I wonder when Novavax will be approved in the UK as it's already been approved in the EU, I assume it'll be used for boosters and anyone who can't have a mRNA vaccine. Also, I would assume given a lot of countries have approved or have already starting vaccinating kids between 5-11 that the UK will follow suit next year.
rob

rob wrote: Mon 20 Dec, 2021 13.14 2 Astra and now 1 Pfizer.

Due in work tomorrow evening, so could be interesting...
Didn't make it into work. Spent most of yesterday in bed feeling really rough.

Feeling much better this morning and definitely going to work tonight...
Weekdays from 7am-10am on Andover Radio
Overton Radio: Weekdays 2pm-4pm, Weekends 8am-11am
Martin Phillp

The Pfizer booster really made me feel rough, day 1 after the jab left me with chills and achy limbs, day 2 was a lot better, but took until today Christmas Day to be fully recovered.
TVF's London Lite.
Nick Harvey
God

I've just had a text from Boris's lot telling me to go and get a covid booster. Haven't they got better things to do on Boxing Day than send inaccurate texts to the wrong people? Shouldn't they all be at a party or something? If they've gleaned enough of my medical record to harvest my mobile number, then they should also know that, due to my medical history, I had a third primary jab at the beginning of November, so I don't need a booster until either twelve weeks or six months after that, depending on the rules they make up on the day.
Philip

I just got that text message too.

I had the Moderna booster and didn't have any side effects. However I did manage to get a cold a week later which I still haven't shifted.
Jonwo

I suspect it's automated but the system doesn't check who has already had their boosters.
Nick Harvey
God

Jonwo wrote: I suspect it's automated but the system doesn't check who has already had their boosters.
Which justs adds to the general perception that those in power don't have the faintest clue what they're doing.
james2001

Reading this rule change in Northern Ireland really makes me glad I don't live there as this would directly negatively affect me:
The exemption from wearing a face covering where it causes severe stress will be removed and the onus of proving an exemption on medical grounds will be on the individual, with a grace period until 7 January before enforcement is implemented
This feels so reactionary and mean spirited it seems like they're basically just putting the internet keyboard warriors in charge of making the rules now. Very much in the line of "everyone's just trying it on and they're selfish and should just wear one anyway" mentality that's caused me so many problems over the last 18 or so months. Can't see how they can possibly police it though, it basically means business owners would have to confront everyone not wearing a mask and ask for proof- and for people to actually be able get that proof in the first place.
cwathen

james2001 wrote: Mon 27 Dec, 2021 19.38 Reading this rule change in Northern Ireland really makes me glad I don't live there as this would directly negatively affect me:
The exemption from wearing a face covering where it causes severe stress will be removed and the onus of proving an exemption on medical grounds will be on the individual, with a grace period until 7 January before enforcement is implemented
This feels so reactionary and mean spirited it seems like they're basically just putting the internet keyboard warriors in charge of making the rules now. Very much in the line of "everyone's just trying it on and they're selfish and should just wear one anyway" mentality that's caused me so many problems over the last 18 or so months. Can't see how they can possibly police it though, it basically means business owners would have to confront everyone not wearing a mask and ask for proof- and for people to actually be able get that proof in the first place.
Tbh this rule change raises more questions that it answers. It is claimed to be done to 'remove ambiguity' whilst still respecting a DDA exemption. So presumably somebody who falls under the protection of the DDA can cite distress as a reason not to wear a mask but somebody citing their distress as due to mental health rather than disability can't?

I appreciate where you're coming from on this matter but I doubt that rule change will make any difference on the ground. It's just meaningless bluster to come out with lines like 'onus to prove' an exemption.

Unless the government is willing to commit the time and resources to having an official exemption scheme with exemptions signed off by qualified healthcare staff (which IMO would not be a good use of limited resources) so there can be no argument as to who is and isn't exempt then exemptions are always going to be run on trust.

And as long as that remains the case, I can't see many businesses being too willing to make much of a challenge out of fear they get it wrong and end up with a discrimination claim on their hands.

What will be interesting to see is if England holds on to going no further than plan B as is looking increasingly likely, how long will the other nations get away with having tighter restrictions for? Johnson may be finding it politically difficult to go any further which stopped him from doing so which didn't apply elsewhere, but I don't see the political capital to continue going further as being an infinite currency in the devolved administrations either - and I suspect it's much closer to running out than is generally acknowledged.

It may be wishful thinking, but I do think the widespread acceptance of knee-jerk rushing to restrictions based on worse-case modelling is a thing that is not far off becoming politically and socially unacceptable.
james2001

When it comes to other nations, to be honest, it feels like them going further is as much about getting one up on Boris/The Tories/The English as it actually is to do with public health. If Boris had decided to keep masks and other restrictions in July, I could have seen Sturgeon announce she was dropping them, citing Scotland's higher vaccination and lower case rates at the time. As long as their rules are "different" to England and they can claim some sort of superiority, it plays right into the nationalist narrative, it's as much political games as anything else.
Jonwo

It's down to money, both the Scottish and Welsh Governments would go further but they can't because the Treasury won't give them more money or reintroduce things like furlough.