The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

Pete

bilky asko wrote: Sat 20 Nov, 2021 20.52Are they the Android-based ones? They're the ones I've used most recently in M&S and Asda, though the Asda one seemed to occasionally fail to beep on scanning. Altering the quantity wasn't too difficult though.
The ones at asda are garbage. They're the same hardware as the second gen Tesco ones but not sure if they're android internally. The first gen were Windows CE. I defo had one once that kept rebooting to a Windows desktop but I can't remember which branch that was in.

The new ones are made by some no-name company rather than Motorola who made the first ones. Lizard or Dinosaur or something like that. I'll get a photo next time I'm in.

On a related (tech) note, the new owners of Asda are bringing in a big tech team to decouple them from Walmart's systems. So perhaps we'll finally see something approaching a modern checkout in Asda soon.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
bilky asko

The UI of the one I used at Asda looked like this one they've depicted on their website:

Which appears to be a different UI but the same hardware as the second generation Tesco ones you describe.

The M&S ones were the ones featured in this video, which I think are indeed Android-based:

BBC TV Centre

Pete wrote: Sun 21 Nov, 2021 12.11
bilky asko wrote: Sat 20 Nov, 2021 20.52Are they the Android-based ones? They're the ones I've used most recently in M&S and Asda, though the Asda one seemed to occasionally fail to beep on scanning. Altering the quantity wasn't too difficult though.
The ones at asda are garbage. They're the same hardware as the second gen Tesco ones but not sure if they're android internally. The first gen were Windows CE. I defo had one once that kept rebooting to a Windows desktop but I can't remember which branch that was in.

The new ones are made by some no-name company rather than Motorola who made the first ones. Lizard or Dinosaur or something like that. I'll get a photo next time I'm in.

On a related (tech) note, the new owners of Asda are bringing in a big tech team to decouple them from Walmart's systems. So perhaps we'll finally see something approaching a modern checkout in Asda soon.
Zebra is the one you're after. The second gen Tesco ones are Windows as the main unlock screen still runs Windows CE, and awful it is too. It's some form of terminal server app which is very laggy to the touch and occasinally crashes.

From what I have seen they come in a 'set' as in if the main screen runs a certain OS the scanners are all the same. Sainsbury's is all Android, as is Waitrose.

I'm surprised the checkouts are still those IBM jobs from years back, it's the same for Costco who still use those ancient IBMs too.
Pete

BBC TV Centre wrote: Sun 21 Nov, 2021 17.34 Zebra is the one you're after. The second gen Tesco ones are Windows as the main unlock screen still runs Windows CE, and awful it is too. It's some form of terminal server app which is very laggy to the touch and occasinally crashes.
yes that's it!

They didn't replace the main unlock screens, just the cradles and handsets so assume they're CE.

And yes the unlock screen is unbelievably laggy and is clearly running IE6 or something.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
bilky asko

Pete wrote: Mon 22 Nov, 2021 10.28
BBC TV Centre wrote: Sun 21 Nov, 2021 17.34 Zebra is the one you're after. The second gen Tesco ones are Windows as the main unlock screen still runs Windows CE, and awful it is too. It's some form of terminal server app which is very laggy to the touch and occasinally crashes.
yes that's it!

They didn't replace the main unlock screens, just the cradles and handsets so assume they're CE.

And yes the unlock screen is unbelievably laggy and is clearly running IE6 or something.
That makes sense, as Zebra acquired Motorola's Enterprise Division in 2014, of which Symbol was a division.
WillPS

Zebra are a fairly big brand in the logistics/fulfillment sphere.
scottishtv

Waitrose enters independent channel with Margiotta partnership
Waitrose products will appear in independent convenience stores for the first time as part of a partnership with Edinburgh and East Lothian convenience store chain Margiotta.

The partnership will see more than 600 Waitrose products become available in Margiotta’s ten shops from today (30 November). Six more locations will follow on 1 December with products arriving in the remaining two Margiotta shops in early January once refurbishment of those stores is complete.

A Waitrose spokeswoman confirmed to ConvenienceStore.co.uk that this is the first time that Waitrose products will be available in high street convenience stores in the UK and that it “plans to explore more potential partnerships in the UK, including Scotland, in the future which will allow us to reach new customers in those areas where there is demand”.
More details.
Jonwo

After months of moaning that Amazon was ignoring South London, a new Amazon Fresh store will be opening in Wandsworth.
Martin Phillp

Jonwo wrote: Fri 03 Dec, 2021 01.21 After months of moaning that Amazon was ignoring South London, a new Amazon Fresh store will be opening in Wandsworth.
Richmond, Aldgate East and Hounslow have also opened.
TVF's London Lite.
Martin Phillp

Tesco are axing the meat, fish and deli counters and closing Jack's.
TVF's London Lite.
JAS84

Yep. The Hull one only opened six months ago - and there's a Tesco Extra store nearby so it'll almost certainly close outright instead of converting to the Tesco brand. Seven to close, six to become Tesco. The Jack's brand will survive as a range supplied to small stores via Booker (similar to the Morrisons owned Safeway brand).
https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/whats-o ... co-6580154