The Barclays and other non-Lloyds/TSB Bank thread

Martin Phillp

I had an email from NatWest informing me that from December, they're reissuing debit cards with Mastercard instead of Visa.
TVF's London Lite.
Philip Cobbold

Santander have done the same, mine was swapped to a Mastercard debit fairly recently.
scottishtv

First Direct also did this a couple of months ago, with their customer email stating:

Moving to Debit Mastercard means we will be able to improve the digital payment options available to you in our App. In addition to this, you will also have the option to take advantage of Mastercard Priceless® experiences, subject to availability at the time.

Not entirely sure what the bit about the new payment options is all about, tbh.
Pete

My rarely used TSB debit card is still a visa. They were due to move to Mastercard before the IT meltdown iirc? Never has reared it’s head again.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
thegeek

Martin Phillp wrote: Wed 06 Oct, 2021 10.17 I had an email from NatWest informing me that from December, they're reissuing debit cards with Mastercard instead of Visa.
I think that's been in the offing for a while. I've not yet had an email about my RBS account, but I assume it's part of the same deal.
WillPS

thegeek wrote: Sat 09 Oct, 2021 21.11
Martin Phillp wrote: Wed 06 Oct, 2021 10.17 I had an email from NatWest informing me that from December, they're reissuing debit cards with Mastercard instead of Visa.
I think that's been in the offing for a while. I've not yet had an email about my RBS account, but I assume it's part of the same deal.
It is, as well as Ulster Bank (NI, the RoI business is being wound down).

The new Natwest card looks like a mess:

whereas the new Royal Bank card looks very smart:

In other bank related news Chase Bank have finally launched in the UK. Despite all the hoopla about wanting to get customers to put their salary in there and use it as their main account, the account currently does not support the Current Account Switching Service and, perhaps worse, doesn't even support Direct Debits yet. Bizarre features to leave out of a new platform in my view.

It does have 1% cashback for a year which would be tempting if I didn't already have a balance of reward earning credit cards.
rdobbie

I just received my replacement Halifax debit card in the post and it's got the old branding (as below), 2.5 years after the new logo started appearing on TV ads.

The card expires in Nov 2025, so a 6.5 year wait for the new logo to find its way onto my card!

Martin Phillp

The Natwest card design doesn't really bother me that much as I rarely get out the physical card for transactions except for using a railway station TVM which doesn't have a contactless reader. (I know other TOC TVMs have them).
TVF's London Lite.
all new Phil

My new HSBC card is a rather nice looking vertical affair complete with card number on the back rather than the front.
WillPS

rdobbie wrote: Mon 11 Oct, 2021 03.41 I just received my replacement Halifax debit card in the post and it's got the old branding (as below), 2.5 years after the new logo started appearing on TV ads.

The card expires in Nov 2025, so a 6.5 year wait for the new logo to find its way onto my card!

New cards are coming, so far only on their account for teenagers tho:
all new Phil wrote: Mon 11 Oct, 2021 19.12 My new HSBC card is a rather nice looking vertical affair complete with card number on the back rather than the front.
I think it's a shame they're dropping the lions, they were rather classy.
Joe

What is the little notch I've seen on all my new cards in aid of? Just to help with orientation?