TV Live Forum Watch News and Information Board

Philip

Thanks for pointing that post out so I can explain why I agree with the original quote.
DTV

noelfirl wrote: Fri 09 Jul, 2021 22.13 I'm not registered on TVL and can't register at the moment, but just had to call this post out in the New BBC Logo thread:
A little late here, but I find it astonishing that people can write things like (from the Cleanfeed article):
The new blocks lack the class, gravitas and timeless quality of the current logo.
with a straight face. Is Reith less "classy" than GIll Sans? Is it the exact percentage of the blocks that the letters filled that give the old logo gravitas, or is it how close together the blocks are?

Complete bobbins. They'd write exactly the same pretentious nonsense if the logos had switched places in history: "Gill Sans lacks the fruity aroma and intense miasma of ennui that's been evoked by Reith for the last 20 years..."
That phrasing captures such nonsense with absolute perfection.
Didn't realise we could use this thread to 'retweet' posts that we were wrongfully proud of.

On a side note, that post did remind me of how much I viscerally hate language like 'complete bobbins'.
noelfirl

I think 'bobbins' is perfect to be honest.

In 20 years, when the BBC updates the font again to 'Birt' or 'Dyke' there will doubtless be folks who question why they are changing from such a 'timeless font'. And as for ascribing subjective qualities such as 'gravitas' and 'class' - I'm sorry, but that's just bobbination of the highest order, the kind that keeps cottage industries of people employed for reasons that sometimes are just a bit questionable.

Anyway I digress from the ultimate thread topic and purpose, apologies.
all new Phil

noelfirl wrote: Sat 10 Jul, 2021 00.13 I think 'bobbins' is perfect to be honest.

In 20 years, when the BBC updates the font again to 'Birt' or 'Dyke' there will doubtless be folks who question why they are changing from such a 'timeless font'. And as for ascribing subjective qualities such as 'gravitas' and 'class' - I'm sorry, but that's just bobbination of the highest order, the kind that keeps cottage industries of people employed for reasons that sometimes are just a bit questionable.

Anyway I digress from the ultimate thread topic and purpose, apologies.
Glad it’s not just me!
Laura-1

gottago wrote: Wed 07 Jul, 2021 22.57
Laura-1 wrote: Wed 07 Jul, 2021 20.42
gottago wrote: Wed 07 Jul, 2021 17.53 Oh good. Another “BBC is broken” thread.
I'm not saying it's broke, as I said it's a cosmetic thing, nothing to do with how the forum engine room works.

I've worked with the Milk theme a lot and know several admins who have found that adjusting the colour of one thing can mess something else up which is why I posted a suggestion which not only changes the colour slightly but also corrects the hover / dark mode colours which would be affected by making the change.

gottago wrote: Wed 07 Jul, 2021 17.53 where all the suggestions are significantly worse than the status quo.
Significantly worse... nothing wrong with a bit of banta ;-) they do say a picture speaks a thousand words. ;-)

Lol I’m referring to the British Broadcasting Corporation and the corresponding thread about it on TV Live Forum! Fully appreciate how this could be confused with BBCode!
Oops, sorry my bad 😀
Nick Harvey
God

Wouldn't it be nice if this thread got back on topic.
Cando

Genuinely funny about how casual racist you can be and "Rob" will ignore but call it out... banned.

Tv forum come back please
rob

Cando wrote: Sun 11 Jul, 2021 13.42 Genuinely funny about how casual racist you can be and "Rob" will ignore but call it out... banned.

You were the one calling James Martin a racist, which was a personal attack on another member, which is against the rules. I simply won't allow that type of comment on the forum. The "missing a chromosome" remark was below the belt as well.
Weekdays from 7am-10am on Andover Radio
Overton Radio: Weekdays 2pm-4pm, Weekends 8am-11am
Philip

Cando wrote: Sun 11 Jul, 2021 13.42 Genuinely funny about how casual racist you can be and "Rob" will ignore but call it out... banned.

I've avoided that thread like the plague, no way it'll end well (and no way it can survive given the "no politics" rule of the forum)
Cando

It's pretty clear the "politics" of a few "moderators"
bilky asko

On one side of the argument, if the racist posts were never reported then it's not surprising no action has resulted from them.

On the other, it's perhaps indicative of an all white, all male moderation team that it's not proactively dealt with.