Grimmy leaves Radio 1

The forum discussing radio
PATV Scunthorpe

Just been announced that Nick Grimshaw is leaving Radio 1 after 14 years.

Vick Hope & Jordan North are co-hosting the 3:30pm - 6pm Drivetime show from September, and after guest presenting over the last few months, Dean McCullough is joining full-time to present on weekends from 10:30am - 1pm from Salford.
Philip

Doesn't feel that long since he left breakfast. I used to like his evening show but I never thought his breakfast show really took off (I know being a massive Moyles fan I am biased)
TVenthusiasm2

PATV Scunthorpe wrote: Wed 30 Jun, 2021 15.56 Just been announced that Nick Grimshaw is leaving Radio 1 after 14 years.

Vick Hope & Jordan North are co-hosting the 3:30pm - 6pm Drivetime show from September, and after guest presenting over the last few months, Dean McCullough is joining full-time to present on weekends from 10:30am - 1pm from Salford.
Awwww, such a big loss for Radio 1. He'll be dearly missed by all of the UK 😓😓
dosxuk

He really won't - sure he's got some fans, but he's probably the most "marmite" of the Radio 1 roster at present. I know a lot of people who turn off the second they hear his show start.
all new Phil

dosxuk wrote: Mon 05 Jul, 2021 14.57 He really won't - sure he's got some fans, but he's probably the most "marmite" of the Radio 1 roster at present. I know a lot of people who turn off the second they hear his show start.
Never really got the hate for him. He seems a decent guy and he’s a competent presenter. Those who dislike him are probably outside the target audience and, dare I say it, probably fans of Chris Moyles and resent him for replacing him at breakfast. He was also very unfairly scapegoated when he was on X Factor despite probably being one of the most sensible judges the show has had.
Pete

I never warmed to his morning show. He's just not a morning DJ in my view. Completely ambivalent to his afternoon show, just sort of washes over me but I only put my alarm radio back to Radio 1 once Greg James took over.

I do miss Moyles but I think I miss "Moyles on Radio 1" rather than him himself. I think that combination worked well, similar to Clarkson being better when he's on a BBC leash.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Philip

He was obviously put there to drag the average audience down, but he just wasn't very good in that slot, and was kept there too long. I think they realised that they had alienated too many people with the approach of the station overall at that time, and it feels warmer and more welcoming now.
Pete

Definitely agree there, it was just trying too hard to be cool and was really offputting.
"He has to be larger than bacon"