What's Next?

Humphrey Hacker

We're rapidly approaching the second half of the year and it's got me wondering what will happen. Right now there's a lot of uncertainty and stories about the virus and how it came about. I'm asking what everyone thinks?
allwillbewell

A massive economic crash. Save while you can!
All views are my own
robschneider

Massive unemployment.
Humphrey Hacker

allwillbewell wrote: Thu 03 Jun, 2021 22.34 A massive economic crash. Save while you can!
Taking care of that right now.
Martin Phillp

The High Street becoming even less relevant as workers work more from home after lockdown ends than before. Working practices for white collar workers have irreversibly changed due to the pandemic.
TVF's London Lite.
robschneider

Yes. Home working is going to be A Thing now. Keeps cars off the roads, means companies can save huge amounts on premises and facilities... now the toothpaste is out the tube it isn't very easy to put it back in.
Jonwo

I don't think having a doom mentality is particularly healthy.

While I think the High Street will evolve, the night time economy will seen a real boom in the coming years as people has realised that staying at home is actually really boring when it's your only option.
Humphrey Hacker

I'm hopeful that this makes us realise who and what truly matters. I'm going through a major issue at the moment outside Covid and its making me think about a lot of things.
Martin Phillp

While there may be a resurgence of the night time economy, it will affect daytime trade, especially for cafes, take aways and convenience stores which rely on white collar workers going in them to grab lunch.
TVF's London Lite.
Jonwo

Martin Phillp wrote: Sat 05 Jun, 2021 23.44 While there may be a resurgence of the night time economy, it will affect daytime trade, especially for cafes, take aways and convenience stores which rely on white collar workers going in them to grab lunch.
I don't personally believe WFH will result in empty city centres, and it's not something that suits everyone or even feasible for many jobs. A hybrid of office and WFH is the best of both worlds and I think most people would be happy with that.
iSon

I think the death nell for offices has been sounded a little prematurely. While attendance at offices has been low or in some cases non existent, people are happy with working from home as they feel they are in the same boat as their colleagues. However, once things start to return to “normal” then a greater number of people will attend their office on a more regular basis.

I can see a hybrid 3 days in the office, 2 days at home becoming more common. I think ultimately many people will be looking for flexibility as opposed to wanting to work remotely full time.
Good Lord!