TV Live Forum Watch News and Information Board

Alan de Robson

Philip wrote: Fri 23 Apr, 2021 17.19 There used to be an archive of The Lounge on TVF, but it seems to have been removed.

Here's what it looked like on Neon: https://web.archive.org/web/20121001052 ... thelounge/
Cheers Philip, sir.

For nostalgia's sake, it would be great to go back through and remind myself of some of the oddness of the forum.
allwillbewell

Philip wrote: Fri 23 Apr, 2021 17.19 There used to be an archive of The Lounge on TVF, but it seems to have been removed.

Here's what it looked like on Neon: https://web.archive.org/web/20121001052 ... thelounge/
I remember that one!
All views are my own
bilky asko

DanielK wrote: Fri 23 Apr, 2021 00.31Adil Ray; currently being panned universally online, and seems to drop in an accent/stereotype reference on the regular (MEGA annoying for me, speaking as a BAME person);
"Speaking as a BAME person" seems a very odd turn of phrase to describe annoyance at Adil Ray for doing accents (ones he grew up with).
Jonwo

I'm not sure why people keeps trying to insert their political views on certain threads when the rules are not to discuss politics. It's the same on Digital Spy where despite the Politics forum being gone, FMs keeps starting thinly disguised threads or posts.
Philip

One of the posts was rightfully explaining that one of the latest hires believed in some crackpot conspiracy theory.

It's hard to talk about GB News without talking about the politics.
allwillbewell

Philip wrote: Fri 30 Apr, 2021 15.47 One of the posts was rightfully explaining that one of the latest hires believed in some crackpot conspiracy theory.

The poster in question was not just posting facts, it was done is a way that wanted a reaction. Several other posts also had that intention. Everyone employed by every company has political views, as long as they are professional it should not matter what you or anyone of us think of their views. They are hired by GB news for a certain role, and that is all that should be discussed.

If you are reading this, nobody is going to take the bait. Please just stick to the TV and we will all be happier.
All views are my own
all new Phil

Philip wrote: Fri 30 Apr, 2021 15.47 One of the posts was rightfully explaining that one of the latest hires believed in some crackpot conspiracy theory.

It really isn’t. It’s pretty clear what Jon Snow’s politics are but we managed a thread about him without bringing it up.
Philip

allwillbewell wrote: Fri 30 Apr, 2021 17.12

The poster in question was not just posting facts, it was done is a way that wanted a reaction. Several other posts also had that intention. Everyone employed by every company has political views, as long as they are professional it should not matter what you or anyone of us think of their views. They are hired by GB news for a certain role, and that is all that should be discussed.
I don't think it was done in a way to "want a reaction". It was just the poster's opinion about someone holding a belief like that being employed by a news channel. I found it more strange that a subsequent poster said that the post changed into a political opinion just because of the use of an emoticon.
all new Phil wrote: Fri 30 Apr, 2021 20.49

It really isn’t. It’s pretty clear what Jon Snow’s politics are but we managed a thread about him without bringing it up.
That's because Channel 4 News itself remains impartial. Obviously not all of GB News' programmes will do the same, given rather than just rolling news it is also going to have "news-based programmes" (what a phrase). Andrew Neil has a clear agenda for the channel and has posted about this repeatedly online, which makes it harder to keep a clear mind about the channel even before it's launched.

I appreciate the idea of keeping politics discussion off the site completely, but it's going to be hard to talk around it unless discussion is restricted entirely to on-screen graphics or *shudder* rotas…
allwillbewell

Philip wrote: Fri 30 Apr, 2021 23.57
allwillbewell wrote: Fri 30 Apr, 2021 17.12

I don't think it was done in a way to "want a reaction". It was just the poster's opinion about someone holding a belief like that being employed by a news channel. I found it more strange that a subsequent poster said that the post changed into a political opinion just because of the use of an emoticon.
all new Phil wrote: Fri 30 Apr, 2021 20.49

That's because Channel 4 News itself remains impartial. Obviously not all of GB News' programmes will do the same, given rather than just rolling news it is also going to have "news-based programmes" (what a phrase). Andrew Neil has a clear agenda for the channel and has posted about this repeatedly online, which makes it harder to keep a clear mind about the channel even before it's launched.

I appreciate the idea of keeping politics discussion off the site completely, but it's going to be hard to talk around it unless discussion is restricted entirely to on-screen graphics or *shudder* rotas…
In that case there was no need for a silly emoji. I think me and others got the sense it was there to suggest the poster was left wing. But maybe I am reading too much into it. Another poster keeps mentioning old white men. I don't think it's necessary. That's not by accident and I think they want someone to take the bait. I did complain to the site about this user but the posts were not removed, on the second post I challenged the user but they did not respond. They want I suspect someone to start sprouting a load of nationalist crap so they can say oh look a GB news viewer how terrible these people are. No chance mate. We all want the place to remain respectable I think this time around.

Has Andrew Neil stated the channel GB News will produce content that isn't impartial? Not really fair to make such a statement when not a single second of content has gone out. Remember in the UK channels have to stick to the rules, this is not America. AN knows that full well. So does channel 4......... https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/ ... le-comment
All views are my own
onetrickpony

Maybe a correction board could be handy for when members question others on their 'fact' which turns out not to be correct.
Alan de Robson

The use of that emoji made me think that the poster was one of those virtue signalling, sanctimonious left wing arseholes which he or she probably is.

There's nowt wrong with being left wing but there is a problem when someone with a particular set of beliefs (left wing or right wing) is so convinced of how right they are about everything that anyone who disagrees is either:
  • a fascist, a communist, racist, anti trans - the list goes on or
  • they haven't done the research, they have been brainwashed by the other side, or they lack critical thinking abilities

I and the vast majority of others aren't interested in your political opinion in the context of a TV presentation discussion. It pollutes and toxifies threads, so much so that it poisoned many threads on the old TV Forum.

It is perfectly possible to not discuss the political leanings of a channel or its presenters. If you feel you can't, don't contribute to the thread.

For example, C4 News does lean left and so does Jon Snow. I had nothing particular to say on either other than that so I didn't contribute to the conversation.

If you're that desperate to share your political thoughts with everyone else, do so on MP.

Why not have "GB News Presentation" on TVLF and "GB News Editorial Comments" on MP247? Is it really that hard for the politicos on here?