The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

thegeek

Jonwo wrote: Thu 15 Apr, 2021 19.56 Amazon Fresh has opened its third store after Ealing and Wembley, this time in White City. Strange that they opted for another West London location.
Perhaps it makes sense from a supply & distribution point of view. After all, if anyone knows about logistics, it's them.

Whole Foods (with whom they're presumably sharing a supply chain) skews to West London too, with Stoke Newington being a bit of an outlier.
Whataday

Aldi having a field day with Caterpillargate on social media:

all new Phil

Bored of it already.
bilky asko

Yes, the important and interesting news is that they're replaced two of the self-service tills up my end with card only machines (only weeks after upgrading them to the latest revision).

It's not really all that surprising, even round these parts, that cash use would be declining so much.
WillPS

Even of the older machines, quite are few are now permanently 'card only' around here.
woah

Looks like a Diebold Nixdorf self checkout instead of NCR - never seen Tesco use them before. Perhaps a trial?
Martin Phillp

After a recent refurb of my local Co-Op, they got rid of all the card only self-checkouts without scales which were useful for buying a couple of things without having to ask the assistant for help.

So they've got rid of the Amazon Lockers and now put a bank of socially distant cash/card tills of which half don't work, so most now queue for the kiosk instead.
TVF's London Lite.
bilky asko

woah wrote: Sun 18 Apr, 2021 19.32 Looks like a Diebold Nixdorf self checkout instead of NCR - never seen Tesco use them before. Perhaps a trial?
I was trying to work out the logo, I'd forgotten they'd become Diebold Nixdorf (their DN logo looking like the one in my - unfortunately poor - shot).
BBC TV Centre

They're used in Lidl and Aldi so perhaps they are trying to learn from the competition? Or going in for a potential complete replatform?

Some of the very oldest self checkouts must be in the Express stores, the ones in my local are completely battered.

Not just in terms of cosmetics but performance, there is a very distinct lag when you touch the screen or select a payment option.

No surprise they're going all cashless as seems to be the way, the coin and cash acceptors on the self checkouts must take a lot of staff time up in terms of maintainence, both technical (fixing jams etc) and having to cash up.
Joe

I realised an oddity of the Tesco café POS system today. I have observed this a few times but only registered today what was actually going on. The assistant enters the order on one till point, then prints a receipt, scans a barcode on another till and proceeds to payment on this second till.

It seems very clunky and wasteful, albeit low level, to print a receipt for every order that will be immediately binned. I know supermarket cafes tend to be very separate in terms of system, but I’m surprised that Tesco of all of them have not integrated things better – unless I’ve misinterpreted what’s happening.
all new Phil

Joe wrote: Sun 09 May, 2021 10.21 I realised an oddity of the Tesco café POS system today. I have observed this a few times but only registered today what was actually going on. The assistant enters the order on one till point, then prints a receipt, scans a barcode on another till and proceeds to payment on this second till.

It seems very clunky and wasteful, albeit low level, to print a receipt for every order that will be immediately binned. I know supermarket cafes tend to be very separate in terms of system, but I’m surprised that Tesco of all of them have not integrated things better – unless I’ve misinterpreted what’s happening.
There’ll be a few stages I imagine - the first part will fire off the instructions to the kitchen, the second part will be to confirm payment and that it can be sent out. It’s presumably designed for the two stages to be separate - my local Big Tesco cafe has an ordering point at the start of the queue, then the line of self serve drinks and snacks, and finally the till. It is intended to reduce wait time for food to arrive.

I would imagine there is an alternative setup where it can be done all in one but they don’t know how to do it or aren’t authorised to. We’ve recently changed the system where I work and you can switch between different setups, but it requires reconfiguring by our IS people.