TV Live Forum Watch News and Information Board

scottishtv

I have to agree with a point that Andrew just made in that some posters (particularly some of the most prolific) seem to think that if they repeat the same point a number of times over it adds weight to their opinion. I think most readers would understand that it does not, but it is a little frustrating to see a couple of members post over 100 times combined in just a couple of days. I feel like I'm reading someone else's personal group chat at times.

This isn't a criticism of Rob or the mods, as I know Asa tried hard to emphasise quality over quantity at TVF too. It's exceptionally difficult as quality is so subjective, and it's very hard to have a blanket policy that works for everyone. I'd just prefer that some people would make their point, and then move on.

There are no easy answers and it's obviously still great to have a forum to discuss the events of the last couple of days on, so thanks for that.
Martin Phillp

After the initial news came out, I largely stayed quiet on that thread except for posting vids or stating a fact.

It hasn't been easy with certain ex TVF banned members returning if they're pushing a certain agenda, one of the reasons why they were banned in the first place!
TVF's London Lite.
bilky asko

scottishtv wrote: Sun 11 Apr, 2021 15.25I have to agree with a point that Andrew just made in that some posters (particularly some of the most prolific) seem to think that if they repeat the same point a number of times over it adds weight to their opinion. I think most readers would understand that it does not, but it is a little frustrating to see a couple of members post over 100 times combined in just a couple of days. I feel like I'm reading someone else's personal group chat at times.
I felt that with some members from early on (though I was reprimanded for sharing that opinion about Brekkie) - I think an inevitable consequence of wiping the slate clean is having to deal with quite a lot of rubbish to start off with.

Ultimately, I think the Prince Philip megathread just showed how much of a bad idea they are. Early on, you could be pressing reply two or three times because the forum was notifying you of more intervening replies (I presume that feature was disabled). There's pages and pages of the thread I've skipped over because of the length, and I could well have skipped past something interesting or useful. It's nigh on 1500 posts; it would have been 125 pages long on TV Forum.
Philip

I will admit that, out of my time as a member on both TVF and TVLF, I've probably set my own personal record for my highest number of posts in the shortest timeframe, in that thread. But I, and I'm sure many others, have been waiting for years for a major obit event like this to discuss, and I will also admit that the forum is a great distraction at the moment from things I'm dealing with in my personal life.

Apart from the stuff from the last day or so that needed to be cleaned up I've thought the conversation has generally been civil.
Joe

I’ve intentionally not got into the death thread at all – sounds like I made the right call.
allwillbewell

I don’t think it was bad. There were a couple of posts which were a bit DS but we should challenge those posts via admin or a respectable reply. There were some instances of light BBC bashing but at the same time some made valid points. All options have a right to be heard or supported. Anyone has the right to air their disagreement. I feel in some instances arguments start because posters think their opinions are above those of others. They are not. Some posters also made personal attacks and then in other posts claimed they were outraged. Need I say more about those.

So far it’s been going ok I think. Let’s all keep it on track because I enjoyed posting on the new site so far. And most others seem to be as well. I consider this a fresh slate for us all. I am going to do my best to keep it positive as it’s a community I want to be part of.
All views are my own
wells

I’ve avoided the megathread because by the time I came to read it, there was already endless posts. There has been a couple of times I’ve seen bits of the coverage and wanted to read some opinions on it, like the sofa set in the ITV News studio they were using the other day, but I wasn’t going to go through it all to see if it was being discussed. I think it would have been better to have separate threads for each of the broadcasters. I also don’t see why it’s in the ‘announcements’ section, as generally I skip past those and it’s not like it’s going to disappear down the board. I do understand it’s a big undertaking and you’ll learn things along the way. Which is why I’m giving this feedback.

All that said, I think Rob (and his team) have done a really good job so far, getting it all together and making a great looking board. So I congratulate you on all of that.
Martin Phillp

The megathread was the best way of cataloguing what happened on the day of the event. What could have happened is after 2pm on Saturday when BBC One finally finished their rolling coverage of the event, the thread should have been closed, with Rob opening the funeral thread on Monday as planned.

While TVLF has an "open book" on banned TVF members, caution is advised until we know those individuals are capable of not taking it down a certain route, instead concentrating on the presentation.

It was fine on Friday night to say that the BBC got the scheduling wrong, but then the same people going on about it on Saturday and probably today as well is too much.
TVF's London Lite.
rob

Martin Phillp wrote: Sun 11 Apr, 2021 22.03 The megathread was the best way of cataloguing what happened on the day of the event. What could have happened is after 2pm on Saturday when BBC One finally finished their rolling coverage of the event, the thread should have been closed, with Rob opening the funeral thread on Monday as planned.
What I've planned is to open a new thread to discuss the build-up to the funeral, then on Saturday, start another new thread for discussion of the actual funeral coverage.

I appreciate all of your comments on this issue, and I'm working with my mods to decide the best way to go forward in the future.
Weekdays from 7am-10am on Andover Radio
Overton Radio: Weekdays 2pm-4pm, Weekends 8am-11am
onetrickpony

Just continue as it is. The thread was covering one of the biggest stories and events for the UK in some years.

Nice to see in 20 years there's still the same snobbery that's around when it comes to posting.
allwillbewell

That's the last time I mention maths or the fee!
All views are my own