TV Forum Watch News and Information Board

RDJ

I created the thread for discussion on an interesting topic. And interesting it was... up to a point.
The Anthea Turner discussion was quite fascinating on how it affected her and the programme.

Then someone flooded it last night with videos of gruesome violence and deaths, taking the topic of ‘accidents on Live TV’ way to the inappropriate extreme and then unsurprisingly that was the end of that.

It’s a shame the other more appropriate posts weren’t kept as some of the stories posted were quite intriguing.

Only took one user to ruin it all. It’s unsurprising the forum is closing when trolls having been swamping the forum and ruining it for everyone.
Philip

Well, it was someone who had been banned for a while anyway for doing something similar. So not surprising in that respect, just he probably shouldn't have been allowed to keep posting after revealing he was said previously banned member.
Whataday

A shame there wasn't more outrage at the implication that Section 28 protesters were deranged.
ohno544

Whataday wrote: Fri 12 Mar, 2021 21.11 A shame there wasn't more outrage at the implication that Section 28 protesters were deranged.
But isn't that the kind of thing that is causing the site to be closed?

It isn't Twitter, it is a forum about TV presentation. There doesn't need to be "outrage". You could say something like, to the poser who made the comment. "I personally think it is wrong to call them deranged because etc".

I think the poster perhaps called them "deranged" because they broke into a TV studio live on air, chained themselves up and started screaming and shouting, regardless of their cause. If the new forum is to survive there should be an atmosphere of respectable discussion., where one assumes other users are posting in an innocent manner, just like the old days. If the new place terns into another moral crusade it isn't going to last long. People need to think before they react with any kind of emotion.
Whataday

ohno544 wrote: Sat 13 Mar, 2021 08.46
Whataday wrote: Fri 12 Mar, 2021 21.11 A shame there wasn't more outrage at the implication that Section 28 protesters were deranged.

It isn't Twitter, it is a forum about TV presentation. There doesn't need to be "outrage". You could say something like, to the poser who made the comment. "I personally think it is wrong to call them deranged because etc".

I think the poster perhaps called them "deranged" because they broke into a TV studio live on air, chained themselves up and started screaming and shouting, regardless of their cause. If the new forum is to survive there should be an atmosphere of respectable discussion., where one assumes other users are posting in an innocent manner, just like the old days. If the new place terns into another moral crusade it isn't going to last long. People need to think before they react with any kind of emotion.
You believe that the problem is people who call out homophobia or racism rather than people who enact it?
ohno544

Whataday wrote: Sat 13 Mar, 2021 10.41
ohno544 wrote: Sat 13 Mar, 2021 08.46

You believe that the problem is people who call out homophobia or racism rather than people who enact it?
That isn't what I said, what I am trying to say is do you think the person that called the people "deranged lesbians" was trying to be deliberately homophobic? and would it warrant an "outrage" on the forum?

If somebody is racist or homophobic they should be reported to the admin so they can be banned or whatever course of action needs to be taken. But what we are talking about here isn't either one of those, and we should save such an outrage for when there is actually something to be outraged about.

If every post in the forum is analysed for something to be offended about nearly every thread would be closed. It's about asking yourself if the person making the post was being deliberately malicious in their posting or was it an innocent mistake? Most of the time it is an innocent mistake by people from another time, a polite advisory by PM is all that is needed. No drama or outrage which damages the atmosphere of the forum.
WWUpdate

ohno544 wrote: Sat 13 Mar, 2021 08.46It isn't Twitter, it is a forum about TV presentation. There doesn't need to be "outrage". You could say something like, to the poser who made the comment. "I personally think it is wrong to call them deranged because etc".
To be fair, you've gotten upset over some pretty innocuous TV Forum comments recently:
ohno544 wrote: Sat 13 Feb, 2021 12.32Just yesterday GB news was being renamed to gammon news and upvoted like hell in one post, in another they call the advertisement for Sky News Australia "sinister". I watched it and it is just a promo.

It is disgraceful behaviour and I will tell anyone at work who will listen to avoid the place.
It seems that comments that fit your particular worldview are perfectly OK, while those that don't are "disgraceful," even when most observers would find them pretty innocent.
ohno544

WWUpdate wrote: Sat 13 Mar, 2021 14.16
ohno544 wrote: Sat 13 Mar, 2021 08.46It isn't Twitter, it is a forum about TV presentation. There doesn't need to be "outrage". You could say something like, to the poser who made the comment. "I personally think it is wrong to call them deranged because etc".
To be fair, you've gotten upset over some pretty innocuous TV Forum comments recently:
ohno544 wrote: Sat 13 Feb, 2021 12.32Just yesterday GB news was being renamed to gammon news and upvoted like hell in one post, in another they call the advertisement for Sky News Australia "sinister". I watched it and it is just a promo.

It is disgraceful behaviour and I will tell anyone at work who will listen to avoid the place.
It seems that comments that fit your particular worldview are perfectly OK, while those that don't are "disgraceful," even when most observers would find them pretty innocent.
I don't understand where I have said any comment is ok? I am talking about how to deal with it. Which worldwide view would that be? I am gay myself lol. This is mainly about the TV forum and why it has gone wrong and what the new forum can be like.

In addition I think there is a bit of a difference between posters attacking political ideology (again it is supposed to be a TV forum) and racism and homophobia. I don't recall calling for an outrage, I just told people to avoid the place. To add, from the comments I have seen on the TV forum recently, we have the use of the gammon insult, comments stating journalists are not respectable, claiming established broadcasters are sinister, pre-empting and calling for people to lose their jobs, attacking reporters and the rest. Tell me, is that a good state of affairs? Yet hardly anyone on the forum seems concerned with these things because those at the receiving end belong to a certain political spear. So I am saying, if the new forum is to be better, from the start we have to be more reserved and really treat it like a work place. People can have different options and watch different channels, as long as they are not being offensive or horrible, people can deal with each other better. As above in my previous post. And that works on both "sides". If people want to vent, there are other places to do it. Let's try to keep the TV forum semi professional if you like.
Pete

This is very boring
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Jamesypoo

Ironically ohno’s username mirrors my internal monologue whenever I see a new post from them - “oh no”.
ohno544

Pete wrote: Sat 13 Mar, 2021 17.34 This is very boring
I understand people don't think my posts are sincere, so I will leave the forum in peace. People just have to be sensible in things was my point. That old thing called common sense. It seems in every aspect of society people are losing the ability to be civil and accept people don't all think like them, and nor are they required to. People thinking differently doesn't make them less of a person or evil, regardless of their beliefs (obviously within extreme reason) and it should not restrict their ability to be heard. At the end of the TV forum it did allow its-self to become an echo chamber and hostile to others who dared hold an unpopular opinion (unpopular in terms of users). As is happening in our society and has always happened in the industry (this is in part why it has lost touch with a portion of society). I didn't think that was generally the way of fair and open society, but I wonder if people truly support such a society and this is reflected on the forum. People seem to be very hostile and assume the worst almost at once. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. Everyone must always be treated with respect and fairly as always, if you don't want that, you must at least have the guts to admit it. That doesn't mean trolls should get a free pass, but just be less judemental with posts.

Unpopular opinions are always going to exist, they always have, and always will. Even a majority can hold an unpopular opinion. Pretending they do not exist or treating them as they are of no importance or value isn't a solution. Where will it end? Being smug or arrogant in your beliefs isn’t a solution either. History tells us (fairly recently history actually) that it is better to discuss things among each other. Sure, sometimes we get annoyed but before we always managed to carry on. Seeing as politics is going to feature in the new forum, it would be better if we could have civil discussions. But it seems it will be a re-hash, people have little interest in changing things. So I say enjoy, please don't misunderstand this as some kind of victim card either. I know nobody gives a rats bum what I have to say but I can say I tried, and frankly I have come to accept where we are going for now. I could not care less what people think, nor do I care if people think differently from me. I do care about telling myself I tried to tell people and will always at least in the real world. For now I will sit back and watch. I wish every success in the new forum. The end results of our sensational and judgemental forum (and society) will be a sight to behold in the years to come.

Good evening and have a good weekend.