BBC Radio Wolverhampton

The forum discussing radio
RDJ

The BBC is launching ‘BBC Radio Wolverhampton’, a new BBC Local Radio station on a temporary basis on DAB and BBC Sounds between 6am -2pm.

https://twitter.com/bbcwm/status/13493 ... 32770?s=21

Obviously Wolves are served by the generic BBC WM service currently, so quite interesting to see it trial a new local radio station when resources for BBC local radio has been reduced considerably recently.
GhostFromTVF

There’s actually a few temporary stations being launched. Radio Bradford started last month, and Radio Sunderland is launching on Monday.

As you said, it’s an interesting trial when you consider the budget cuts.
Jonny

Unless I'm missing something, the trial stations don't seem to be available on BBC Sounds? DAB and isolated web browser link online?

Missed opportunity to communicate the launch and gauge uptake. Say the Sounds app detects your local station is set to Newcastle or Tees, it could inform you about the new Radio Sunderland, etc.

Presumably this will be rectified if the initial trial is extended.
Martin Phillp

I can't get any of these pop-up BBC stations to work with my Amazon Echo Dot, if I say "Play BBC Radio Sunderland", I get a hospital radio station instead.
TVF's London Lite.
LWTFan1968

Martin Phillp wrote: Tue 19 Jan, 2021 18.35 I can't get any of these pop-up BBC stations to work with my Amazon Echo Dot, if I say "Play BBC Radio Sunderland", I get a hospital radio station instead.
Do you have the BBC Skill on it?
Pete

Martin Phillp wrote: Tue 19 Jan, 2021 18.35 I can't get any of these pop-up BBC stations to work with my Amazon Echo Dot, if I say "Play BBC Radio Sunderland", I get a hospital radio station instead.
The correct format is "Alexa, ask the BBC to play Radio Sunderland" but its not working or offers Radio Suffolk.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Nick Harvey
God

I don't know if this is relevant, as I don't have any of these weird gizmos, but a friend of mine reckons you have to say "Enable Radio Whatsit" the first time, then you can say "Play Radio Whatsit" thereafter.
LWTFan1968

Nick Harvey wrote: Thu 21 Jan, 2021 13.57 I don't know if this is relevant, as I don't have any of these weird gizmos, but a friend of mine reckons you have to say "Enable Radio Whatsit" the first time, then you can say "Play Radio Whatsit" thereafter.
I haven't heard that, might be with a smart speaker I'm not familiar with.
Martin Phillp

Pete wrote: Wed 20 Jan, 2021 08.47
The correct format is "Alexa, ask the BBC to play Radio Sunderland" but its not working or offers Radio Suffolk.
I tried that command at the time as well.
TVF's London Lite.
LWTFan1968

"
BBC Sounds <[email protected]>
Tue, Feb 2, 2:25 PM (10 days ago)
to me

Dear Declan,

Thank you for contacting BBC Sounds support about listening to BBC Radio Sunderland, Wolverhampton, and Bradford. You have said you are not sure how to listen to these and I will do my best to help.

BBC Radio Wolverhampton, Bradford, and Sunderland, are temporary stations and as such are unlikely to be integrated into BBC Sounds.

However for the time being you can listen to them live using the following links:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/e6qmzc

https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/evgrn3

https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/e5vfbp

Thanks for getting in touch with your feedback. I will place your complaint onto our BBC Sounds feedback report to be seen by the Head of Sounds and the various Sounds product teams.

Thanks again for taking the time to get in touch.

Kind Regards,

Adam McIlveen."

So likely no BBC Sounds for the temp stations...