High Street chain collapse sweepstake

Pete

WillPS wrote: Thu 17 Sep, 2020 09.08
I think the most interesting thing to note there is that Tesco will be opening a new supermarket branch... that's been a pretty rare occurrence in the last 5 years!
I think it was inevitable since they cut the number extras that were open 24hrs (before lockdown) that the next step would be reducing square footage. I wonder if they'll start doing more concessions like morrisons (obv they've already got a fair number of timpsons) although I noticed that some of the larger stores have a more spacious department store layout in homeware and tech so its the same space but with lower product density.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
thegeek

The EAT branch in Westfield Stratford, which closed at the end of January, isn't showing much sign of reopening as a Pret. I didn't think they'd have had a huge amount of work to do to switch brands, so I'm curious to know how far along they got in February/March before it all ground to a halt, and at what point they decide whether it's worth opening again at all.

(It's still covered in 'Pret opening soon' decals - you'd think they'd at least update them to direct people to their other branch)
gottago

thegeek wrote: Mon 21 Sep, 2020 10.44 The EAT branch in Westfield Stratford, which closed at the end of January, isn't showing much sign of reopening as a Pret. I didn't think they'd have had a huge amount of work to do to switch brands, so I'm curious to know how far along they got in February/March before it all ground to a halt, and at what point they decide whether it's worth opening again at all.

(It's still covered in 'Pret opening soon' decals - you'd think they'd at least update them to direct people to their other branch)
I'm surprised they haven't closed the other branch and opened this one instead. The footfall outside the old Eat is huge compared to the one by Sports Direct.

I think there was a fair amount of work going on in there pre-lockdown though so maybe it remains unfinished.
JAS84

Cineworld is closing all of it's cinemas. Supposedly temporarily, but staff will lose their jobs and they do seem to be in a financial pickle...
https://variety.com/2020/film/global/ci ... 234791728/
Charlie Wells

JAS84 wrote: Sun 04 Oct, 2020 02.48 Cineworld is closing all of it's cinemas. Supposedly temporarily, but staff will lose their jobs and they do seem to be in a financial pickle...
https://variety.com/2020/film/global/ci ... 234791728/
It'll be sad if that does happen though not entirely surprising. During recent visits the screens have been fairly empty, even when factoring in social distancing seating rules. My local cineworld this week slashed adult tickets to £4, with free popcorn & nachos being added to unlimited cards.

It's clear that people don't feel confident to return to cinema. It probably doesn't help that you're supposed to wear masks during the film except when eating or drinking, making a 2 hour film less enjoyable. Film companies delaying film releases has presumably made things even worse.

I suppose it's possible that the leaked announcement and mentioning that the PM had been written to may be a last resort for financial help to prevent the temporary closure & job losses.
"If ass holes could fly then this place would be an airport."
all new Phil

It’s less about people not feeling confident to go and more that there simply hasn’t been enough to show.
Martin Phillp

all new Phil wrote: Sun 04 Oct, 2020 18.24 It’s less about people not feeling confident to go and more that there simply hasn’t been enough to show.
Indeed, it's the Bond cancellation that has prompted Cineworld to consider closure.
TVF's London Lite.
thegeek

I appreciate that incomes are way down for cinemas, but Cineworld don't have particularly good form for treating their people well. A couple of years back, despite the parent company's rather healthy profits, their reaction to staff at their premium Picturehouse subsidiary having the gall to ask for the London Living Wage was to go all union-busty and find spurious reasons to sack the organisers.
JAS84

Peacocks and Bonmarché are in trouble.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54477265
thegeek

Hasn't Edinburgh Woollen Mill gone bust about a million times before?
Pete

thegeek wrote: Fri 09 Oct, 2020 22.02 Hasn't Edinburgh Woollen Mill gone bust about a million times before?
what does it even sell?
"He has to be larger than bacon"