Coronavirus - Strange times

thegeek

It depends on the courier, but I've found that probably the majority of packages I've received lately (including a Coronavirus test kit) have been handed to me directly rather than placed on the doorstep.
tightrope78

Starbucks UK accepting own cups from today, according to their social channels. Expect some issues though. Apparently it doesn’t apply in all stores. Equally a large number of stores aren’t even open yet so expect some people to turn up with their favourite cup to find their local store closed!
Martin Phillp

I had my eye test at Specsavers today in a Sainsbury's concession. I had to queue outside the store, where there's a little window where an assistant asks if you have an appointment. They then open the shutters and ask you to go to reception as usual to conform your appointment.

The only main difference I could see bar all staff wearing masks were that when you try on specs, they ask you to put them in a drop bin, where they can be cleaned and put back on the shelf along with cleaning of the equipment between customers.

The one thing that did surprise me a little bit is there was no perspex screens in the consultation rooms or at the tables where they check your size measurements and form filling, but there were two at reception.

Another nice surprise was the lack of hard sell! Pre-Covid they were trying to flog the fancy eye tests that you don't need or anti-glare frames.
TVF's London Lite.
Nezzac1

Hello. Some of you may know me as Ne1L C on TV Forum. I joined Metropol specifically for the uploads service but after reading some of the threads I wanted to join in. I've chosen this thread specifically because I wanted to get a few things off my chest about how I've been affected by Covid-19. I don't know if this is the sort of thing that is accepted but if there is one thing I've learnt from my time on TVF that many people have similar issues to me.

Before I start I feel its important for you to know a bit about myself. My story isn't special or memorable but I feel its important because it may help others.

Here goes. I'm 42 years old. I live in South Yorkshire. I have a Combined Studies degree in Journalism from the University Of Leeds. I also have a genetic muscle wasting disease called Spinal Muscular Atrophy which according to the current restrictions is an underlying condition. I won't bore you by giving you chapter and verse about my medical history suffice to say I have had many chest problems in my life including nearly dying from a bloodclot in my lungs. I'm also Autistic, specifically I have Aspergers Syndrome so as you can imagine I've had a pretty tough life.

With the warm-up out of the way its time for the main event.

When 2019 ended I thought "thank **** for that". The back end of last year was truly appalling for me. I was fighting to overturn a decision from the Department of Work and Pensions to turn my application for PIP down (a decision which I won earlier this year thanks in a large part to my cousin who is a Barrister).

I had also fallen out with a close friend (or someone who I thought was a close friend over something I'd posted on Facebook about how to keep good mental health).

In the autumn of 2019 I decided once again to get help. I had already received therapy from a trauma counselling team and went back for a second batch which started in January this year.

I had just started to open up about some horrible experiences when everything came crashing to a halt. Everything that I had come to rely on, everything that I built a routine round just stopped. What few certainties I had vanished and I found myself in a position that I hadn't been in for years. Having to start again. I know that we all find ourselves having to reset and I was trying to reset before the lockdown. The **** had been knocked out of me.

Since the lockdown I have been living on pure instinct like a lot of us have done so. For me however its been different. As someone with both physical and mental health issues I have felt like I'm cracking up. I have frantically checked every day for news of a vaccine ( I don't trust the Russian one). I've panicked every time I've passed someone not wearing a mask ( I do everytime I leave the house) and I've raged at these Pillocks who think the virus is fake or any vaccines are poison.)

I am trying to keep as positive as possible. I've read more than I have for ages. listened to more radio than before (I have been a community radio presenter) and I've spent a lot of time on forums. I've also started exercisig

I'm well in myself and my family are fine. What worries me the most is that the longer this goes on for without any hope of a vaccine people are going to freak out. I'm not a religious man and I'm not the most trusting of people for various issue but right now I am hoping that someone comes up with a way of this nightmare because I genuinely fear for the end of the year

There. That's my spleen vented. As I said at the start of post I don't know if this is the kind of thing that acceptable for this thread but I offer it for what its worth.

Thank you in advance for reading.
all new Phil

Nice to hear from you, and you’re more than welcome here.
Nezzac1

Thank You. I hope that it can help someone to talk about what they're experiencing.
thegeek

The 'rule of six', announced nearly a week ago, has finally had its legislation announced. About fifteen minutes before it came into force.

Some analysis here:

Rather annoyingly, the fact that children are included (which they aren't in Wales or Scotland) means that my in-laws can no longer come to visit next weekend to help with childcare, as they'd take us over the limit.
Ne1lC

From my experience the Rule of Six is being ignored left, right and centre. I was in Blackpool yesterday and saw groups of 6 plus all over town without any masks. There were 2 PCSO's and 2 council officials all day. This legislation or guidance is as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
Nezzac1

Not sure if this will work out but lets try some positivity.

scottishtv

A bit puzzled by how much business coverage on the effects of the Coronavirus seems to involve comment on Pret. I know their business is badly affected by office workers no longer buying lunch and coffees, but so many independent shops, cafes, newsagents, dry-cleaners etc. are all facing the same issues.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a Pret baguette every now and then but every couple of days they seem to be in the headlines for some reason. Wondering if their importance is over-blown in the minds of the journos, or maybe they just have a big PR operation.
Pete

scottishtv wrote: Wed 23 Sep, 2020 15.16 A bit puzzled by how much business coverage on the effects of the Coronavirus seems to involve comment on Pret. I know their business is badly affected by office workers no longer buying lunch and coffees, but so many independent shops, cafes, newsagents, dry-cleaners etc. are all facing the same issues.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a Pret baguette every now and then but every couple of days they seem to be in the headlines for some reason. Wondering if their importance is over-blown in the minds of the journos, or maybe they just have a big PR operation.
London
"He has to be larger than bacon"