TV Forum Watch News and Information Board

Pete

Sorry can someone fill in the blanks re BBCWorldNews and TheNewsroom? ta
"He has to be larger than bacon"
bilky asko

Pete wrote: Wed 02 Sep, 2020 13.45 Sorry can someone fill in the blanks re BBCWorldNews and TheNewsroom? ta
I recall Newsroom's ban might have been down to political discussion?

JamesWorldNews's departure I do know about:

JamesWorldNews posted this tweet

when talking about an article featuring Alastair Stewart. james-2001 asked:
Couldn't you have just linked to the interview rather than that... very odd tweet?
JamesWorldNews replied:
Seriously? Sigh. You actually came here to type that?

I remember a time when TVF was a place of civility.

Outta here. Bye.
james-2001 made a post over here about the contretemps before deleting it, bemoaning how much of an overreaction it was.
ethanh05

God, there's never a dull moment on TV Forum is there?

Incidentally, is anyone sick of the daily updates of the status of a poxy ticker on the GMB thread?
bilky asko

ethanh05 wrote: Wed 02 Sep, 2020 15.40 God, there's never a dull moment on TV Forum is there?

Incidentally, is anyone sick of the daily updates of the status of a poxy ticker on the GMB thread?
It had been a while since someone had quit the forum in that way, the last person was Skygeek I think?
tightrope78

I've never quite understood the love affair that TV Forum has for Alastair Stewart. To me he was always smug and a bit too self important. For me it was overdue that he left.
all new Phil

tightrope78 wrote: Wed 02 Sep, 2020 19.18 I've never quite understood the love affair that TV Forum has for Alastair Stewart. To me he was always smug and a bit too self important. For me it was overdue that he left.
Totally agree. He’s like a grumpy and pompous version of the brilliant and clearly lovely John Suchet.
wells

I think the supposed pomposity is why people like him. When most newsreaders come across as a bit bland and samey he’s a bit different and harks back to the broadcasters of old.

Twitter spats aside, I you get the impression he’s a nice bloke. He does in my opinion come across with warmth on screen and was obviously well liked among colleagues.
Philip

wells wrote: Thu 03 Sep, 2020 01.36 I think the supposed pomposity is why people like him. When most newsreaders come across as a bit bland and samey he’s a bit different and harks back to the broadcasters of old.

Twitter spats aside, I you get the impression he’s a nice bloke. He does in my opinion come across with warmth on screen and was obviously well liked among colleagues.
For me it was growing up watching him on ITV News and Police, Camera, Action, and his style of presenting that I liked just for it being kind of out of place with the more generic TV presenters that were appearing at that time. But on Twitter I really respected his commitment to keeping TV news impartial, plus he obviously has some great stories of his time at the various TV companies he's worked for.
Newsroom2018

Pete wrote: Wed 02 Sep, 2020 13.45 Sorry can someone fill in the blanks re BBCWorldNews and TheNewsroom? ta

Hi Pete, I was banned from the forum for the thread below. I've no remorse. I was called deceitful and Fake News over something I knew 100% to be correct. I just wasn't prepared to take that kind of abuse from someone who'd been a TVF for a few weeks.

Swallow it (meaning just accept it) but don't choke! Was tongue and cheek yet perceived as 'not very nice'.

James and I chat, he just got sick and tired of the same nonsense us people who've been using TVF for decades so he checked out. He's still on Twitter and posting interesting content.

Here's the thread. https://tvforum.uk/forums/post1255482#post-1255482
bilky asko

radiolistener on Television Forum wrote:Both LBC and Talk Radio are right wing stations, so they are basically after the same custom. (and please don't mention that actor James O'B.)
Bored of bashing Peter Levy, radiolistener has moved onto LBC conspiracy theories.
itsrobert

I've decided to take a backseat over at TV Forum as well. I won't go into the background detail as to why I came to this decision but suffice it to say after 20 years of practically daily contributions, I don't feel particularly inclined to post at the moment. Maybe that will change, but I think for now, it's time for a break.