TV Forum Watch News and Information Board

TIGHazard

itsrobert wrote: Tue 25 Aug, 2020 21.21
TIGHazard wrote: Tue 25 Aug, 2020 14.11
thegeek wrote: Tue 25 Aug, 2020 08.36

Well he's been banned now...
Also, Newsroom has been banned... from the newsroom.
What for? I always seem to miss everything!
Looks like an argument about Fox/CNN/MSNBC bias in the Fox News harassment thread.
GhostFromTVF

TV Forum’s been down for me since about mid-morning, yet it’s fine for everyone else (at least according to this: https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/tvforum.uk). Does anyone know why it’s just me?
BBCManilaWN

Is TVForum not accepting registrations for users at the moment?
Jason

Oh dear, the rota fanboys in the GMB thread didn’t get my response to fanoftv’s post about having a muck muck finale while Dick and Dom are guest presenting. I’ve now had to explain my post before it turns in to a rota thread.
Jason aka JasonB @TVF
Jason

I knew it wouldn't be long before the GMB mocks return to the gallery.
Jason aka JasonB @TVF
itsrobert

I have to say I am quite saddened that Newsroom has been permanently banned from The Newsroom and that JamesWorldNews has seemingly now left TV Forum after 16 years. Two strong contributors to The Newsroom gone in one fell swoop. I always think it's a real shame when the long-term members disappear. There are are only a handful of people whose posts I still enjoy reading and engaging with. The latest crop of new members are sucking the life out of the place. The Newsroom is fast becoming a chatroom for who is presenting BBC News at X time and speculating on when normal schedules will return. The really decent discussion is becoming rarer and rarer. Even the BBC News Nostalgia thread, which has been worth reading, has now turned to more contemporary discussions. Ever since I stepped down as a moderator I have always tried not to become a backseat driver and have actively stayed out of forum politics. But even I am now starting to worry about the forum's direction. I've been an almost daily visitor and contributor since the very first day and I'd hate to see TVF become a less interesting place to be.
Newsroom2018

itsrobert wrote: Tue 01 Sep, 2020 16.52 I have to say I am quite saddened that Newsroom has been permanently banned from The Newsroom and that JamesWorldNews has seemingly now left TV Forum after 16 years. Two strong contributors to The Newsroom gone in one fell swoop. I always think it's a real shame when the long-term members disappear. There are are only a handful of people whose posts I still enjoy reading and engaging with. The latest crop of new members are sucking the life out of the place. The Newsroom is fast becoming a chatroom for who is presenting BBC News at X time and speculating on when normal schedules will return. The really decent discussion is becoming rarer and rarer. Even the BBC News Nostalgia thread, which has been worth reading, has now turned to more contemporary discussions. Ever since I stepped down as a moderator I have always tried not to become a backseat driver and have actively stayed out of forum politics. But even I am now starting to worry about the forum's direction. I've been an almost daily visitor and contributor since the very first day and I'd hate to see TVF become a less interesting place to be.
Ahhhh Rob, you are possibly the best member TVF Newsroom has ever had. You really care. It shows in every post you make and I am humbled you've mentioned James and I in this post.

I chatted to James earlier, he's feeling how you and I both are. I'm gutted I've been banned after 20+ years, and having justified my response to the attack upon myself.

Us members who have been here for many many years who contribute the very essence that keeps that one particular forum thriving are despairing at what's happening. It's become overrun with people who were not educated as to how to conduct themselves online. Fine, it's a new generation, doesn't mean we as founders, or with regard to myself, near enough a founder have to put up with trigger happy people reporting posts they don't like.

I've been active in the Newsroom for decades and without a single warning - yet 2020 comes along and I am fired upon like a soldier against a wall, resulting in a total ban and my latest appeal has fallen on deaf ears.

Perhaps the more stalwarts that leave, the less interesting the forum that once was something special will become.

I sincerely hope this is taken on board. I've received incredible support via PM over my banning.
Beep

I wonder if it’s an age perception thing? We remember and identify what we like bu true younger membership simply don’t and therefore discussion gets derailed or taken to modern times quickly as they can’t comment on the minutia of news pres from pre 2012?

Shame certain people have been banned; but we must remember as you guys once did with me (and I am grateful that I no longer face the hard and harsh remarks I once did) the member base will get younger and more sensitive as you mature.

Who knows. Rota discussion should be dealt with by way of amputation though.
itsrobert

Newsroom2018 wrote: Tue 01 Sep, 2020 19.47
itsrobert wrote: Tue 01 Sep, 2020 16.52 I have to say I am quite saddened that Newsroom has been permanently banned from The Newsroom and that JamesWorldNews has seemingly now left TV Forum after 16 years. Two strong contributors to The Newsroom gone in one fell swoop. I always think it's a real shame when the long-term members disappear. There are are only a handful of people whose posts I still enjoy reading and engaging with. The latest crop of new members are sucking the life out of the place. The Newsroom is fast becoming a chatroom for who is presenting BBC News at X time and speculating on when normal schedules will return. The really decent discussion is becoming rarer and rarer. Even the BBC News Nostalgia thread, which has been worth reading, has now turned to more contemporary discussions. Ever since I stepped down as a moderator I have always tried not to become a backseat driver and have actively stayed out of forum politics. But even I am now starting to worry about the forum's direction. I've been an almost daily visitor and contributor since the very first day and I'd hate to see TVF become a less interesting place to be.
Ahhhh Rob, you are possibly the best member TVF Newsroom has ever had. You really care. It shows in every post you make and I am humbled you've mentioned James and I in this post.

I chatted to James earlier, he's feeling how you and I both are. I'm gutted I've been banned after 20+ years, and having justified my response to the attack upon myself.

Us members who have been here for many many years who contribute the very essence that keeps that one particular forum thriving are despairing at what's happening. It's become overrun with people who were not educated as to how to conduct themselves online. Fine, it's a new generation, doesn't mean we as founders, or with regard to myself, near enough a founder have to put up with trigger happy people reporting posts they don't like.

I've been active in the Newsroom for decades and without a single warning - yet 2020 comes along and I am fired upon like a soldier against a wall, resulting in a total ban and my latest appeal has fallen on deaf ears.

Perhaps the more stalwarts that leave, the less interesting the forum that once was something special will become.

I sincerely hope this is taken on board. I've received incredible support via PM over my banning.
Thanks for your kind words, Newsroom, it really means a lot to hear that.
Beep wrote: Tue 01 Sep, 2020 20.50 I wonder if it’s an age perception thing? We remember and identify what we like bu true younger membership simply don’t and therefore discussion gets derailed or taken to modern times quickly as they can’t comment on the minutia of news pres from pre 2012?

Shame certain people have been banned; but we must remember as you guys once did with me (and I am grateful that I no longer face the hard and harsh remarks I once did) the member base will get younger and more sensitive as you mature.

Who knows. Rota discussion should be dealt with by way of amputation though.
I think you're right, Beep. I guess we're all growing old with TVF. Many of us were the youngsters when it launched so I suppose it's just the passage of time. It suddenly hits you when you get to a certain age and you realise you have nothing in common with the younger generation! I just think it's a shame we've lost two very central contributors to The Newsroom in very quick succession and, personally speaking, I think it will be poorer for their absence in many ways. On a lighter note, I do not look forward to the day when I prattle on about Trevor McDonald and the only response I get is "who?"
rob

itsrobert wrote: Tue 01 Sep, 2020 16.52The latest crop of new members are sucking the life out of the place. The Newsroom is fast becoming a chatroom for who is presenting BBC News at X time and speculating on when normal schedules will return. The really decent discussion is becoming rarer and rarer. Even the BBC News Nostalgia thread, which has been worth reading, has now turned to more contemporary discussions. Ever since I stepped down as a moderator I have always tried not to become a backseat driver and have actively stayed out of forum politics. But even I am now starting to worry about the forum's direction. I've been an almost daily visitor and contributor since the very first day and I'd hate to see TVF become a less interesting place to be.
You've hit the nail on the head there. Well said.
Weekdays from 7am-10am on Andover Radio
Overton Radio: Weekdays 2pm-4pm, Weekends 8am-11am
all new Phil

There’s a lot of outrage over there from people with clearly very little life experience. I mean, the whole site is a pretty niche thing as it is but people writing paragraphs about how much they hate things (see the Sky News thread) is just getting a bit boring when there are bigger issues in the world right now.

See also the mocks forum, which I don’t pay too much attention to but look at every now and then. Again, paragraphs of criticism (“BBC One needs to be red” is something I’ve seen previously when someone dared try something different) when surely the best thing to do is just reply with “yep, looks alright that, crack on” which is the approach I try to take.