TV Forum Watch News and Information Board

bilky asko

TIGHazard wrote: Wed 10 Jun, 2020 13.24 Asa's bringing up of the original Come Fly With Me thread has shown just how opinions have changed over the past 10 years.

For instance, in the original CFWM thread, trivialmatters posted:

https://tvforum.uk/forums/post694572#post-694572
As for Matt Lucas 'blacking up' to play Precious, I don't think this should cross an unacceptable line in 2011. Lucas can don wigs to play a lady, slip into a muscle suit to play an American jock, or even use all his acting skills to play a heterosexual man. Why do people still have an issue with a white person playing a black character? Lucas is allowed to put on a fake beard and do a Bradford accent... but if it's a black character, that crosses a line? Taj Manzoor is, arguably, one of the most likeable characters in the programme!
Meanwhile in the Little Britain removed thread, they posted:

https://tvforum.uk/forums/post1238161#post-1238161
Amazing that Come Fly With Me was centred around blackface characters and nobody working on it - from the actors, to the writers, to the crew, to the makeup artist, to the commissioners - ever stopped to think "What are we doing here?" It was made in 2010.
I think it's amazing that Brekkie thinks that blackface was no more acceptable in 2003 than it is now - quite clearly it was.
wells

Another example is from JCB. 2011
I really like the show actually. It's the best they've been since series 1 of 'Little Britain'.
If they wanted black characters they should have got a black supporting actors to play those characters. Blackface is not diversity...regardless of intent.

People will bend over backwards trying to justify white comedians doing blackface but complain that actual comedians who aren't white "make everything about race".
There is nothing wrong with changing your opinion over time however. Its just interesting to see.
Whataday

bilky asko wrote: Wed 10 Jun, 2020 15.21I think it's amazing that Brekkie thinks that blackface was no more acceptable in 2003 than it is now - quite clearly it was.
I think for a long time the general consensus in the UK was that blackface was defined as The Black & White Minstrel Show and that's it. That was the line not to cross. Possibly the increased use of social media led to more discussion on the subject and the definition broadened to something more in line with America.
thegeek

I'm just curious to see how long it'll be before another_beauty gets their first warning.
wells

I’m pretty sure the same member signs up every year with his right leaning views on such subjects and ends up getting banned.
james2001

I wouldn't be suprised if it's James Martin again under a different name. His last sojurn on TV Forum ended when he praised Tommy Robinson.

I can still remember the post he made that got him banned from Metropol...
Martin Phillp

How many times is Mouseboy going to compare Sky News to Tesco?
TVF's London Lite.
wells

james2001 wrote: Fri 12 Jun, 2020 22.42 I wouldn't be suprised if it's James Martin again under a different name. His last sojurn on TV Forum ended when he praised Tommy Robinson.

I can still remember the post he made that got him banned from Metropol...
Well considering his username is a Trump quote and he seems to randomly Tweet Trump quotes...
Critique

Oooh, something's happening over at the other place - that's not your average site outage holding slide!
thegeek

Did anyone else hum the ITV Schools music when they saw that?
JAS84

A spinning cube with TV on each side, and it's semi-transparent. That's some impressive coding. And yes, it is reminiscent of the 1987-1993 ITV Schools roto!

And since it's not the standard downtime graphic they've used previously, looks like a relaunch is coming. Asa had said he was working on a forum software replacement.