Coronavirus - Strange times

Whataday

The Sainsbury's Local around the corner from me (in Cardiff city centre) has been empty whenever I've gone there, and there's a Tesco on the same street that has been pretty much the same.

The Sainsbury's used to be a bank so only has a single door and the store is raised so you have to walk up steps into it or use a very long ramp for wheelchair access. They've developed a one way system so you enter via the stairs and leave via the ramp, which works pretty well if it weren't for the security guy that stands in the doorway meaning you have to brush past him to get in or out of the store. He's often talking to a mate that's popped by too.
all new Phil

There are 2 Sainsburys Locals within walking distance of me. 1 is closed and boarded up. The other last week changed to a Budgens. Very strange.
Whataday

all new Phil wrote: Sun 05 Apr, 2020 11.44 There are 2 Sainsburys Locals within walking distance of me. 1 is closed and boarded up. The other last week changed to a Budgens. Very strange.
Whereabouts? Stores sold to Samy Ltd I expect.
all new Phil

Sheffield. Yes I’ve just searched and they’ve bought 2 here.
JAS84

Yeah, that's not Coronavirus related. They bought a couple of stores in Hull too a few months ago.
WillPS

all new Phil wrote: Sun 05 Apr, 2020 11.44 There are 2 Sainsburys Locals within walking distance of me. 1 is closed and boarded up. The other last week changed to a Budgens. Very strange.
The Forge (London Road) and Truro Court?
https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/why- ... ng-2005730

I worked at The Forge local for 2-and-a-half years. Just before I left Aldi opened in the old MFI and takings absolutely fell off a cliff. They fiddled about with the hours by pushing to midnight and then dropping back again. The shop was always dead whenever I stopped by in subsequent years.

It looks from that picture like the tiny Wilkinson next door has gone too.

Truro Court has been closed for a year or so now I believe. It was a ridiculously small former Jacksons and an absolute nightmare to work in.
all new Phil

Yes to The Forge, that’s the one closest to me and is now Budgens. I have only been in once when it was Sainsburys and it was terrible. The fella on the till was watching football on his phone and swore at his colleague whilst serving me.

The other is the one across the ring road from West Street that is boarded up.

Truro Court used to be my local one when I was at uni (it was called Jackson’s then).
simonipswich1

cwathen wrote: Sat 04 Apr, 2020 17.41 Has anyone actually had their letter from Boris yet?
Nope! I guess now that he's in hospital we won't get them?!
cdd

I got mine. Bizarrely, it looked like it came out of an inkjet printer.

Back to supermarket tales, my local Tesco Express has two entrances (from opposite sides) leading into an enclosed "porch" before the actual entrance. People queue, close together, inside the enclosed area.
WillPS

all new Phil wrote: Sun 05 Apr, 2020 18.00 Yes to The Forge, that’s the one closest to me and is now Budgens. I have only been in once when it was Sainsburys and it was terrible. The fella on the till was watching football on his phone and swore at his colleague whilst serving me.

The other is the one across the ring road from West Street that is boarded up.

Truro Court used to be my local one when I was at uni (it was called Jackson’s then).
Ah, Weston. Did a few overtime shifts there too. Happy days.

Back then the one which was always under imminent threat of closure was Nether Edge, but that one seems to be a survivor. That one was converted from Jacksons much later than the others and so got a decent fit out when it did. That was a fun shift taking down shelves and loading up a lorry with leftover stock.

Lovely bit of Sheffield too.
thegeek

cdd wrote: Mon 06 Apr, 2020 09.42 I got mine. Bizarrely, it looked like it came out of an inkjet printer.

Ours wasn't cleanly guillotined around a couple of edges - as if they'd printed multiples on a bigger sheet and then chopped it down to A4. I guess the logistics of this kind of thing are pretty big when you need to hit the whole country within a few days at short notice.