The Unofficial Sainsbury's Thread

tch999

The annual Sainsbury's/Nectar Double Up event has now launched:

https://help.sainsburys.co.uk/help/term ... Fdouble-up

It looks like they've changed up how you get hold of your vouchers this year. Instead of using the Customer Service desk (which has presumably been removed from most stores in the last 12 months), you now apply for the vouchers online and using the new Nectar app.

The other major rule they've introduced this year is a cap on the amount of vouchers you're able to redeem your points into - a maximum of £50 standard value Nectar points can be converted into £100 doubled value. This is a bit of a blow for serial Nectar point hoarders (such as myself). I'm guessing as they're using the app to convert the points, there'll be no way to circumnavigate this. I know they previously had a soft cap of one voucher per category, but I found that you could keep going back time and time again for more vouchers at the Customer Services operator's discretion.

Still... Something for 'nothing'. Can't complain too much!
Martin Phillp

WillPS wrote: Wed 30 Oct, 2019 09.09
Martin Phillp wrote: Tue 29 Oct, 2019 22.20 My new plastic Nectar card has arrived.

Changes are that the front is just the nectar logo on a purple background. The Nectar number is now printed on the back, with the barcode, mag stripe and cardholder name. They've axed the QR code however.
I didn't realise they ever had QR codes.
I think I got my loyalty cards mixed up. Just found my old Nectar and it doesn't have it, so I think I got it confused with IKEA Family or the Tesco Clubcard which both have QR.
TVF's London Lite.
thegeek

Martin Phillp wrote: Thu 31 Oct, 2019 14.03 I think I got my loyalty cards mixed up. Just found my old Nectar and it doesn't have it, so I think I got it confused with IKEA Family or the Tesco Clubcard which both have QR.
The sample IKEA Family card on the website is still the white on orange version with Verdana text, but all the POS in store seems to be using blue on white with the new typeface - so I expect a new card design may be on the way.

(I'm still using my translucent orange card with the Futura text and no QR code)
Pete

I don't think I've used my plastic one in years. I always forget it and print a new one at the kiosk.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
scottishtv

You can also scan the on-screen version in the IKEA app.
Pete

scottishtv wrote: Sat 02 Nov, 2019 09.31 You can also scan the on-screen version in the IKEA app.
A good tip thank you :)
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

tch999 wrote: Wed 30 Oct, 2019 17.18 The annual Sainsbury's/Nectar Double Up event has now launched:

It looks like they've changed up how you get hold of your vouchers this year. Instead of using the Customer Service desk (which has presumably been removed from most stores in the last 12 months), you now apply for the vouchers online and using the new Nectar app.

The other major rule they've introduced this year is a cap on the amount of vouchers you're able to redeem your points into - a maximum of £50 standard value Nectar points can be converted into £100 doubled value. This is a bit of a blow for serial Nectar point hoarders (such as myself). I'm guessing as they're using the app to convert the points, there'll be no way to circumnavigate this. I know they previously had a soft cap of one voucher per category, but I found that you could keep going back time and time again for more vouchers at the Customer Services operator's discretion.

They had a similar thing going on last year but I think the overall limit was higher and you were still able to use the Customer Service desk (rather than the app).

Don't quote me on it, but I'm pretty sure I managed to order some paper vouchers online and then managed to use the desk in store too. Probably worth getting some paper vouchers ordered and seeing if the app will let you do order some as well.
Jacket

Top work from Sainsbury's here.

m-in-m

My local store had the same daft arrangement of a sign with plastic bags above. About a week later though they had been replaced with the new style bags.
tch999

WillPS wrote: Sat 02 Nov, 2019 12.02
tch999 wrote: Wed 30 Oct, 2019 17.18 The annual Sainsbury's/Nectar Double Up event has now launched:

They had a similar thing going on last year but I think the overall limit was higher and you were still able to use the Customer Service desk (rather than the app).

Don't quote me on it, but I'm pretty sure I managed to order some paper vouchers online and then managed to use the desk in store too. Probably worth getting some paper vouchers ordered and seeing if the app will let you do order some as well.
I took your advice last week and my paper vouchers for Double Up arrived yesterday, just ahead of the launch today. However, I've just gone on to the Nectar app (with today being the first day you can exchange your points on there) and it appears they recognise I've already had paper vouchers and therefore won't let me exchange any more.

A shame they've capped it like this and closed the loophole from previous years, but can absolutely understand why. Guess I'll have to start spending my points throughout the year at normal value.
Martin Phillp

Now I know Sainsbury's usually give a ton of Nectar points in the run up to Christmas, but I've never saved so much in such little time. I've gone from £80 to £100 in three weeks of having the Nectar app on my phone.

In addition, yesterday I paid for half my goods in cash and got a 400 points paper voucher. Then paid for the rest using my card and got another 400 points.

In other Nectar related news, Argos will now let you acquire points from online transactions for delivery or click or collect. You still can't collect points using the instore POS.
TVF's London Lite.