Yet another Morrisons thread

Pete

didn't Safeway have packing area dividers 25 years ago?
"He has to be larger than bacon"
WillPS

Pete wrote: Sat 31 Aug, 2019 16.27 didn't Safeway have packing area dividers 25 years ago?
Iceland had them in the 90s for sure. I have a feeling Kwik Save or Food Giant might have too. Distinctly remember playing with them as a child.
bilky asko

WillPS wrote: Mon 02 Sep, 2019 09.30
Pete wrote: Sat 31 Aug, 2019 16.27 didn't Safeway have packing area dividers 25 years ago?
Iceland had them in the 90s for sure. I have a feeling Kwik Save or Food Giant might have too. Distinctly remember playing with them as a child.
I remember them at Morrisons funnily enough, though I don't think they were ever used for their intended purpose.
all new Phil

Not sure if it still has them but the strange Morrisons trial store in Preston (that’s now just a relatively normal one) used to have odd checkouts that sound like the ones described, where your shopping went down one of two lanes to be packed once you’d paid. Each lane had its own conveyer belt that moved everything closer as you packed. Seem to remember the biggest awkwardness being not knowing how many bags you needed to pay for if you’d forgotten your own.
tillyoshea

Apropos of nothing, I thought this thread might enjoy this unusual sight I spotted earlier this week:

m-in-m

The Gibraltar refit continues. They seem to have some new freezers and are working on the new pizza counter. The checkout, cafe and bar are untouched.
Whataday

I'm pretty sure Kwik Save didn't have them as their checkouts were really short so that the items went straight back in your trolley after they'd been scanned. You'd then have to go to a separate counter to pack your items into bags if needed.

They also used to charge for carrier bags too when it was unheard of, but they were strong-uns:

I think Iceland had bright red dividers which is why you might be thinking of Kwik Save.

EDIT: This shows just how short the Kwik Save counters were:

WillPS

Whataday wrote: Thu 12 Sep, 2019 21.00
I'm pretty sure Kwik Save didn't have them as their checkouts were really short so that the items went straight back in your trolley after they'd been scanned. You'd then have to go to a separate counter to pack your items into bags if needed.

They also used to charge for carrier bags too when it was unheard of, but they were strong-uns.
Not in the (ex-)Food Giant locations it wasn't. It also wasn't like that in the ones Somerfield did up.

I've got fond memories of both OG Kwik Saves and Food Giants. Somerfield chose to very quickly adopt the Kwik Save name across the Food Giant chain even though it was a very different beast. In Nottingham this lead to a legacy Kwik Save and a former Food Giant being open for a few months with the same branding, right next door to one another.

Interestingly Food Giant never charged for bags, even after they moved to the Kwik Save name and used their bags (the same ones or very similar to those pictured). Aldi, Lidl and Netto also charged for bags even back then too.
m-in-m

m-in-m wrote: Wed 11 Sep, 2019 13.53 The Gibraltar refit continues. They seem to have some new freezers and are working on the new pizza counter. The checkout, cafe and bar are untouched.
I noticed today a sign saying works will be completed by December.
Pete

First of all, this talk of the Gibraltar Morrisons without photos is unacceptable. Get snapping. Especially with wide photos I can use for the header image.

Second - what exactly is the point of Iceland's "Food Warehouse"? It appears to be a branch of iceland except with higher prices and - oddly - 5 asiles which means you end up at the top of the shop rather than at the checkouts. I appreciate there is a non-morrisons thread but... 🤷🏼‍♂️
"He has to be larger than bacon"
JAS84

It's supposed to have a bigger range, because the stores are bigger than standard Icelands. In practice I'm not convinced that's actually the case though.