High Street chain collapse sweepstake

Pete

Is it just me or does Superdry have a strange monopoly on Northern Irish men's coats?

I actually quite like their jackets but their in-store music is too annoying. And I say this as someone who is a big fan of in-store music.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Charlie Wells

Problems at Sports Direct, or at least their inability to publish preliminary results. Originally due on 18th July it was delayed at 7am, then again at midday, and at 2pm.
Article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49124375
"If ass holes could fly then this place would be an airport."
WillPS

I don't really get the 'benefit of hindsight' argument being used by Ashley about the House of Fraser takeover. The place had collapsed despite having a CVA in place which would have allowed them to immediately close half of their estate. These are not the signs of a business which just needs a small correction in terms of management to put right!
JAS84

Did they ever post those results? I get the feeling they could be in serious trouble. Expanded too fast.
g67bbx

JAS84 wrote: Fri 02 Aug, 2019 01.19 Did they ever post those results? I get the feeling they could be in serious trouble. Expanded too fast.
https://www.sportsdirectplc.com/investo ... entre.aspx
WillPS

JAS84 wrote: Fri 02 Aug, 2019 01.19 Did they ever post those results? I get the feeling they could be in serious trouble. Expanded too fast.
The analysis I've read suggests market feeling is they have taken their eyes off the ball with their main operation and haven't benefitted particularly from the trends in athleisure and super expensive trainers the way JD have. There isn't an awful lot of confidence in Ashley's 'buy up failed high street chains' strategy either. In particular his lost investment in Debenhams is regarded by some as a mixture of cockiness and naivety.

It'd be quite something if the Sports Direct business itself ends up in trouble financially though.
thegeek

Spud-u-like have rather abruptly shut up shop.

Little-known-fact: they were once owned by BSM.
g67bbx

Spud U Like has closed it's doors on all its shops.

The boss of Edinburgh Woollen Mill is attempting to purchase Jack Wills (Mike Ashley is also interested) to stop it collapsing into administration.
Andrew

I wonder if they will keep it entirely separate, as I can not imagine Jack Wills being sold in Sports Direct, or indeed any Sports Direct stuff sold in a Jack Wills.
DJDave

Andrew wrote: Mon 05 Aug, 2019 18.17 I wonder if they will keep it entirely separate, as I can not imagine Jack Wills being sold in Sports Direct, or indeed any Sports Direct stuff sold in a Jack Wills.
If EWM buys it, he will be looking at the price of rant on the units, if it's to much he will close them and have it online or inside his Days Department store.
WillPS

Andrew wrote: Mon 05 Aug, 2019 18.17 I wonder if they will keep it entirely separate, as I can not imagine Jack Wills being sold in Sports Direct, or indeed any Sports Direct stuff sold in a Jack Wills.
It'd suit House of Fraser though. Well, as much as anything can possibly suit House of Fraser as it currently stands.