The Unofficial Sainsbury's Thread

simonipswich1

Is it me or does it look like that baby is being strangled??!

Martin Phillp

Forest Hill is my closest Sainsbury's, but I rarely use it due to the lack of range. However if it hasn't been mentioned before (probably by me!) that the old Sainsbury's when it was smaller before they acquired neighbouring shops for the extension is the only Sainsbury's I know where they had two rows of checkouts at either end of the store, the rear has a council owned car-park.

The current store now has tills which face across the length of the store, so customers can still easily reach the main entrance or the car park. There is also a tiny free Sainsbury's owned car park which is underneath.
TVF's London Lite.
gottago

^ Balham also has two sets: a large self service area for the side facing the high street and manned checkouts and a handful more self serve on the car park end.
james2001

There were two sets of check outs in the old store in Derby city centre, though that closed and moved back in 2000.
g67bbx

Those on the inside knew this would end as a failure from day one.

Reception for the new "trial" was never good.

https://www.islandecho.co.uk/sainsburys ... -of-wight/
Martin Phillp

I visited the smallest Argos in Sainsbury's to date in Penge on Monday. So quiet that there were only two members of staff on duty with one behind the counter on his own for most of my visit.

I preordered a toilet seat online, which they took 20 mins to find and that was only because their colleague returned from their break.

Otherwise it was really quiet, no other customers in the time I was there. When Argos was in the Homebase further up the road, it was much busier.
TVF's London Lite.
Martin Phillp

Argos finally opened in my local superstore today. Unlike other Argos concessions nearby, the tills are on the end of the order tables.
TVF's London Lite.
bilky asko

The deal is off.

all new Phil

Asda continuing with shit SELs then.
WillPS

bilky asko wrote: Thu 25 Apr, 2019 08.59 The deal is off.

I cannot believe anybody involved really thought there was a chance that it might be allowed, without a sale of a quarter to a half of the estate (which is surely the same as blocking any such deal practically).

Leaves Sainsbury's in a hole, for sure.
all new Phil

I’d be interested to understand more about where Sainsbury’s problems lie. Their convenience stores are arguably the best out of the main players in terms of quality and range. I’d suspect it’s their big stores that are suffering - the one near me tends to be my supermarket of choice if I want to walk rather than drive (otherwise Morrisons obvs) but standards are noticeably slipping. Seems to be always clogged up with ugly cages of stock (it’s not a very big store) and some of the products are questionable (a huge Jewish-focused range despite there being no real Jewish community nearby, and quite a large home section which is frequently all reduced to clear). Their products are great, the prices aren’t too bad either, so to me it must be the shopping environment.