The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

Pete

has anyone been to a Jack's yet?

Also, why do so many Tesco expresses still have the old software on the self scans? Surely it should be rolled out everywhere by now :/
"He has to be larger than bacon"
woah

I still find the voice on the Tesco self service checkouts really bizarre - he has the nasally voice of someone from a cheesy regional radio advert.

Even weirder are the things he says like "Find your item, or have a browse" - because of course you're going to have a browse of what you fancy after you've paid. Or "All of your Tesco points add up" which no one in the world would ever actually say.

The UI refresh on Tesco and ASDA self service checkouts is great - Sainsbury's have made a bit of a hash of it though. Morrisons still use the old UI (including their old logo) so I can't imagine they'll be changing that any time soon, but theirs are always very responsive.
Critique

woah wrote: Sun 14 Apr, 2019 21.19 I still find the voice on the Tesco self service checkouts really bizarre - he has the nasally voice of someone from a cheesy regional radio advert.

Even weirder are the things he says like "Find your item, or have a browse" - because of course you're going to have a browse of what you fancy after you've paid. Or "All of your Tesco points add up" which no one in the world would ever actually say.

The UI refresh on Tesco and ASDA self service checkouts is great - Sainsbury's have made a bit of a hash of it though. Morrisons still use the old UI (including their old logo) so I can't imagine they'll be changing that any time soon, but theirs are always very responsive.
I don't mind the voice on the Tesco tills but agree that the scripting is iffy - think I flagged at the time that 'Tesco points' was a very odd term. Originally I thought they were trying to make 'Tesco Clubcard' more of a thing in the same way that the BBC started pushing 'BBC Radio 1' rather than just 'Radio 1' about a decade or so ago, but then there's a bit of script that just says 'scan your Clubcard to earn Clubcard points' which blows that theory out of the water! Considering the new script was supposed to be less annoying, it's also a weirdly wordy line - isn't the default in Sainsbury's etc just 'Card accepted, please continue'?
WillPS

Critique wrote: Sun 14 Apr, 2019 23.11
woah wrote: Sun 14 Apr, 2019 21.19 I still find the voice on the Tesco self service checkouts really bizarre - he has the nasally voice of someone from a cheesy regional radio advert.

I don't mind the voice on the Tesco tills but agree that the scripting is iffy - think I flagged at the time that 'Tesco points' was a very odd term. Originally I thought they were trying to make 'Tesco Clubcard' more of a thing in the same way that the BBC started pushing 'BBC Radio 1' rather than just 'Radio 1' about a decade or so ago, but then there's a bit of script that just says 'scan your Clubcard to earn Clubcard points' which blows that theory out of the water! Considering the new script was supposed to be less annoying, it's also a weirdly wordy line - isn't the default in Sainsbury's etc just 'Card accepted, please continue'?
It's the one that is mentioned when you go to 'Look Up Item' - something like "find your favourites, or have a browse". Completely unhelpful, and a weird suggestion.
Pete

I find him annoyingly plummy. Much preferred the original woman. Tesco points is baffling and needs binned off. The inconsistency between payQuik / Digital Wallet / Tesco Pay+ in the UI is annoying too. The app changed possibly a year ago yet there are still references to the old branding everywhere.
all new Phil

WillPS wrote: Wed 17 Apr, 2019 16.32
Critique wrote: Sun 14 Apr, 2019 23.11

It's the one that is mentioned when you go to 'Look Up Item' - something like "find your favourites, or have a browse". Completely unhelpful, and a weird suggestion.
You mean that you don’t take the opportunity, once at the checkout, to take a browse at what Tesco sells? Beats looking round the store.
tillyoshea

Whataday wrote: Tue 09 Apr, 2019 20.28 I took a photo of one to show you just how basic it is.

This doesn't really suggest the sophisticated advertising for which the slogan is known.
It's not just unsophisticated, it's also off-brand given that the much-promoted slogan is "This is not just food, this is M&S Food".

Where did the "any" come from?
Whataday

WordArt by the look of it.
thegeek

Pete

So what's the thinking behind putting Jack's branded stuff in Tesco's entrance promo asile? I'm hardly going to buy some, think "this ain't too bad" and then drive to Leeds to stock up?
Philip

It’s a bit weird. If I want to visit somewhere like Aldi/Lidl, I’ll go to Aldi/Lidl.