The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

thegeek

bilky asko wrote: Sat 23 Mar, 2019 18.40 It has to be Little Lidl if they do.
I still think that if the John Lewis Partnership ever expand their convenience store format to Scotland, they have to go with "wee Waitrose (and Partners)".
cwathen

Philip wrote: Fri 26 May, 2017 15.20 This has now sent me down a path of Tesco logo geekery.

Firstly, I'm amazed the current logo has lasted so long and hasn't changed, I think it's aged very well - though I imagine the surrounding brand elements and packaging from that time look quite old now.

Secondly, there's a Tesco Metro in Bristol that still has 1987 era signage: long link so click here

Interestingly, the street view imagery from June 2016 appears to show the 'Metro' sign taken down, but the most recent imagery from October 2016 has it up again. Is the building listed or something so they can't change the signage?
The vintage Tesco Metro branding on Bristol Broadmead has been replaced with the current branding at some point over the past few weeks. It didn't coincide with any other work at the store which made the timing a bit odd, especially since the old sign was 'serviced' relatively recently - unless Tesco are having a final push to remove the final remnants of their old branding, it will soon be 25 years out of date after all!
Critique

Clearly new ideas are hard to come by in retail, as I note M&S have resurrected ‘this isn’t just food...’ on some of their recent advertising!

Went to grab lunch from a Simply Food today and also discovered that they’d got the Britain’s Got Talent judges to pre-record the voiceover for the tills - had Alesha Dixon tell me to scan my Sparks card and could hear Amanda Holden in the background! M&S doesn’t seem like the natural choice for this type of thing I’d have thought?
Philip

Critique wrote: Tue 09 Apr, 2019 13.29 Clearly new ideas are hard to come by in retail, as I note M&S have resurrected ‘this isn’t just food...’ on some of their recent advertising!

Went to grab lunch from a Simply Food today and also discovered that they’d got the Britain’s Got Talent judges to pre-record the voiceover for the tills - had Alesha Dixon tell me to scan my Sparks card and could hear Amanda Holden in the background! M&S doesn’t seem like the natural choice for this type of thing I’d have thought?
I noticed that too. Advertising on the entrance with "This isn't just any [insert food here]…". Clearly it's now famous enough for them not to bother using the full phrase even when they haven't used it for a few years.
Pete

It's an absolutely iconic campaign for them. The Lidl campaign for Mince pies where their adverts looked like they were pasted over competitors had a clear "This isn't just" in the bottom corner for the M&S version.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Philip

Yeah, I understated the popularity of it a bit there!
Whataday

Critique wrote: Tue 09 Apr, 2019 13.29 Clearly new ideas are hard to come by in retail, as I note M&S have resurrected ‘this isn’t just food...’ on some of their recent advertising!
They've added it to their carrier bags too. On one side is the M&S Food logo in a black square, and on the other side another black square containing "THIS IS NOT JUST ANY FOOD THIS IS M&S FOOD" without any punctuation (save for the &). Looks very basic and rushed.
Whataday

I took a photo of one to show you just how basic it is.

This doesn't really suggest the sophisticated advertising for which the slogan is known.
gottago

This BGT sponsorship and the new TV ad they’ve just launched suggest they’re going for a much more mainstream audience now, no doubt following the weak results they announced in food not too long ago. Given that was pretty much the only reliable part of the business it makes sense that they’re trying to seem a bit more accessible.
Whataday

Critique wrote: Tue 09 Apr, 2019 13.29Went to grab lunch from a Simply Food today and also discovered that they’d got the Britain’s Got Talent judges to pre-record the voiceover for the tills - had Alesha Dixon tell me to scan my Sparks card and could hear Amanda Holden in the background!
Not just the judges. I heard Ant McPartlin's voice come from nowhere and I wasn't sure whether to scan my chicken or jump out the way.
Philip

Those M&S TV ads certainly are different aren't they? Not sure if they're a good idea myself but time will tell.