The Tesco & other non-Morrisons supermarket thread

WillPS

Looks more like a nicer Costco to me. Which is about right I guess.
DJDave

I don't know why but Jack's was advertising our "Local" store in our local Wirral Paper, which is through the Mersey tunnel and then the other side of Liverpool, so really it is nowhere near us :lol: .
thegeek

The mishmash of typefaces here irked me enough to take a photo:
The opening times are in the Esso style, but the Lottery/Mobile/Bakery items are in Tesco's (old) corporate font. And Clubcard appears to be in Calibri.

The latter is a bit of a moot point, as Esso are switching to Nectar in June.
Critique

Oooh, does that mean you'll be able to scan both your Clubcard and your Nectar card in the above example, in the same way *I think* you can scan both your Sparks card and Nectar card in M&S Simply Food BP forecourt stores? Have never actually done the latter (scanned the Nectar but not the Sparks), but looking on their website it doesn't say you can't use your Sparks card in these stores.
thegeek

I don't know, but I have handed over my Clubcard in a Morrisons Daily attached to an Esso station.
WillPS

I very much doubt Tesco will be willing to equip their EPOS equipment (which the joint venture sites run on) to accept Nectar cards.

Co-op run Esso garages didn't take Clubcard, but their Texaco garages did do Star Rewards.

M&S don't compete on fuel so the Nectar/Sparks comparison isn't perfect.
thegeek

MarkAshley wrote: Tue 05 Mar, 2019 02.41
thegeek wrote: Mon 04 Mar, 2019 20.44 The mishmash of typefaces here irked me enough to take a photo:
Forest Hill next to Horniman Gardens?
Yes. See also my post in the Sainsbury's thread - we had quite the day out yesterday.
Martin Phillp

Oh goody, my local Tesco Express/Esso! That petrol station had a refit a couple of years ago, including that signage featured. As far as I'm aware the Tesco POS is used for Esso transactions, complete with till receipts that feature the Esso logo alongside Tesco Express.
TVF's London Lite.
rdobbie

thegeek wrote: Mon 04 Mar, 2019 20.44The latter is a bit of a moot point, as Esso are switching to Nectar in June.
Thanks, I wasn't aware of this.

I see that it also means the end of the very long relationship between BP and Nectar (the BP logo appeared on the front of the first generation of Nectar cards).

The link between collecting points at BP and spending them at Argos goes back even further, with Premier Points being Nectar's predecessor.
WillPS

rdobbie wrote: Wed 06 Mar, 2019 12.37
thegeek wrote: Mon 04 Mar, 2019 20.44The latter is a bit of a moot point, as Esso are switching to Nectar in June.
Thanks, I wasn't aware of this.

I see that it also means the end of the very long relationship between BP and Nectar (the BP logo appeared on the front of the first generation of Nectar cards).

The link between collecting points at BP and spending them at Argos goes back even further, with Premier Points being Nectar's predecessor.
Premier Points continued for a few years after BP left: https://www.argos.co.uk/static/StaticDi ... Points.htm

Somerfield was the other partner, but had already gone by the time Nectar showed up in 2002. I seem to recall Somerfield couldn't add points directly to your Premier Points card, so they'd give you little vouchers which you had to go to a separate machine to get added to your account. Was BP the same?

Surely this stopped access to a lot of the insights that make a loyalty scheme worthwhile...?
Pete

So if you go to a Tesco Express with an Esso, you'll get Nectar?
"He has to be larger than bacon"