The Unofficial Sainsbury's Thread

Philip

Home and Bargain changed their name to Home Bargains in 1995 but is still called by the original name by a lot of people in Liverpool and the surrounding area (where it was founded).
DJDave

Philip wrote: Sun 11 Nov, 2018 22.30 Home and Bargain changed their name to Home Bargains in 1995 but is still called by the original name by a lot of people in Liverpool and the surrounding area (where it was founded).
Yeah everyone I know (I'm in Merseyside) we always call it Home and Bargain :lol:
Jamesypoo

all new Phil wrote: Sun 11 Nov, 2018 21.03 “Asda’s” winds me up.
https://uokhun.uk/2018/11/01/tesco-and- ... yCRQ29Rp9o
Martin Phillp

My first time in an Argos concession in Sainsbury's today. Quite surprised at how busy it was with four members of staff on the tills at 6.30pm.

With the fact that these stores don't have as much stock, it was a quick and speedy process from ordering to getting my product from the back of the store.

As I didn't wait for so long, that may explain why there was only a small bench for customers to wait.

A massive improvement on the former Homebase concession nearby that I used to go to.
TVF's London Lite.
Martin Phillp

Argos is finally coming to my local Sainsbury's superstore. After years of rumours of "It's not coming 'ere mate" and "it's too small for an Argos", the former sound and vision section is being stripped out by the shop fitters. Staff in my store confirmed today that it's being refitted for Argos.

The downside is that the formerly excellent magazines section which had more titles than an average WHSmith has been downsized to around 60 titles of popular sludge such as Take a Break and What's On TV and moved rather oddly to the baby aisle!
TVF's London Lite.
Pete

Martin Phillp wrote: Tue 19 Feb, 2019 23.37 Argos is finally coming to my local Sainsbury's superstore. After years of rumours of "It's not coming 'ere mate" and "it's too small for an Argos", the former sound and vision section is being stripped out by the shop fitters. Staff in my store confirmed today that it's being refitted for Argos.

The downside is that the formerly excellent magazines section which had more titles than an average WHSmith has been downsized to around 60 titles of popular sludge such as Take a Break and What's On TV and moved rather oddly to the baby aisle!
I find the Sainsburys have a habit of keeping too much non-food stuff. Kelso seems to have it right, with just a third of an aisle being lightbulbs and small things, but there are others that retain kettles a plenty when there's an Argos right there. I get that it's a different transaction and thus more faff but tbh if you need a kettle you need a kettle.
"He has to be larger than bacon"
Martin Phillp

CMA are set to block the Sainsbury's-Asda merger.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47303166
TVF's London Lite.
DJDave

Martin Phillp wrote: Tue 19 Feb, 2019 23.37 Argos is finally coming to my local Sainsbury's superstore. After years of rumours of "It's not coming 'ere mate" and "it's too small for an Argos", the former sound and vision section is being stripped out by the shop fitters. Staff in my store confirmed today that it's being refitted for Argos.

Everyone thought my local Sainsburys wouldn't get one but it did before Christmas, it's only tiny though one of the smallest Argos store in stores I have seen yet.
Martin Phillp

DJDave wrote: Wed 20 Feb, 2019 19.20

Everyone thought my local Sainsburys wouldn't get one but it did before Christmas, it's only tiny though one of the smallest Argos store in stores I have seen yet.
The smallest Argos I've seen is in a standard Sainsbury's supermarket in Penge, a store I thought they wouldn't be able to squeeze one into. However, the supermarket in Forest Hill isn't getting an Argos, it's an eBay/Argos collection point instead.

I was impressed with the concession in Sainsbury's Sydenham though. Pretty fast from ordering to collection, despite no quick pay self-service machines.
TVF's London Lite.
thegeek

I was in Forest Hill today, and the slightly strange Sainsbury's (which has come up in this thread before) seems to have fewer anachronisms than my last visit, but I did spot a few oddities.

The web address on the front windows is a mix of the current typeface, and the Interstate of the old logo... except for the www. and .co. k which look like something else. (Optima?)

Also, the baby changing table has an ad for the 0-5 club, which their archive says lasted 1998-2000:

WillPS

That 0-5 Club branded table is quite the find. I seem to remember they had a thing in the late 90s where you had to get a badge to put in your window if you wanted to use the Parent & Child spaces - I wonder if this was that.